Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-27-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
So I'm reading this old article about Josh Sleigh

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20031001-9999_m1sc1aerial.html

he does tricks that he calls a superman varial, etc. Is it a "trick" if you don't ride it afterwards? Say you rip up and over the transition and grab the rails like a superman, body extended then pull the board back under you, but you're on the other side of the wave at this point. Consider it a trick?

What about a front flip the same way? Well except the board is under your feet the whole time? Is it a trick? Is a front flip, say 3 feet in the air, more spectacular than say a big spin?

I was watching James on his halfpipe and it occurs to me that we aren't being very innovative in our tricks. What other maneuvers can be done if we step outside of the box of skim and surf? Who has ideas?

Upload
Old    surfdad            03-27-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
What about different sizes and shapes of fins? Typically we all ride one side of the wake consistently, so if I have a thruster or a twinser, do I need symmetrical fins? What would the ride be like if I had a 3.5 on the inside and 2.5 on the outside of the wake? I'll test it this weekend if we don't get rained or frozen out. :-)

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-27-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Is it a trick if the flip is underwater? Oh we answered that question. Maybe the trick is how you would end your run.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-28-2006, 3:59 AM Reply   
I like the rug!

Why don't board manufacturers make boards with fins that have a snap-in, quick release system?

e

Old    surfdad            03-28-2006, 5:24 AM Reply   
Dennis, I am the MASTER at half air half water flips. :-) Maybe I could call that a 50/50 flip? :-)

Hey Ed, there is a surf company that makes a snap in system: o'fish'l. Inland Surfer used to use it in years gone by.

http://www.ofishl.com/

They have a tag line about metal screws fin systems: "Don't get Screwed" :-)

Tell me something, if in a competition, I have 2 falls, I can use them (ok not me, but let's say someone with talent, like...oh maybe James? :-) ) by say having is routine be slaysh, air, 3 and then a superman. They start him again and he does slasyh, air, air, 180, 360 then at the turn around a front flip.

I think there are tricks that can be performed that are halfpipe inspired or mx inspired if we just say - huh, I'm going to attempt that.