Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Got a price on a new 12 vlx loaded for
67 but I think I can get him down to 65..... I also got a quote on a new axis a22 2013 that would
Come from the factory for 57k .... I kinda liked the a22 wake better but the vlx was just an awesome boat....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-21-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Sorry read that wrong thought you said VTX. That does seem like a Great VLX price! Flip a coin!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
That's a steal on a Vlx. Assuming the are equally optioned Vlx all the way if you have the extra $$$
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
My payment difference wouldn't be too crazy... I liked the idea of a budget boat but they don't seem too budget any more
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
VLX and it's not even close.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
VLX for ~10k more every time. New VLX's optioned well were probably 75-80k new in most areas.
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-21-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Man, That's a tough call. I love and have owned both boats. I am leaning toward the A22. Its a year newer and seems like it has more room. Both wakes are awesome.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I would get the VLX. That is a solid deal at 67k and a great deal at 65k.

Of the boats you mentioed, the VLX will holds it value far better than the VRide or an Axis. I had this same conversation with my dealer about a week ago.

Also, the used boat market will be great for a buyer this fall winter and spring. There are going a lot of more recent, gently used Malibu's on the market due to Surfgate.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
Both are great boats. Both have the same motors? The interior of the VLX will be more plush. I personally like the A22 wake better. Would you consider a gently used '12 A22 with the ls3...
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
Chatt I Woud if you did trades! I do like the axis wAke .. Didn't see it w plug and play but has a good shape...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-22-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Man at those prices I would be all over the VLX. As great as a boat as the A22 is, I would take a VLX over it all day everyday when the price difference is $7k unless the VLX is an ugly color because with the Axis, you get to order your own colors. To some it's not a big deal, but there is somthing to be said for ordering exactly what you want.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-22-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
So far a lot of you guys are saying go with the Malibu but you haven't really given convincing reasons why. The better resale value doesn't make sense if like you say there will be a ton of lightly used VLX's on the market soon due to the new surf gate. Won't that bring prices down due the the increase in inventory on the secondary market?

I have never ridden behind a newer Malibu or any Axis but I would lean towards the Axis at 10K less, its brand new, you pick your colors, same motor and according to a few of you, better wake...
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-22-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
^^^ I agree with Spencer, you said you like the A22 wake better. Aren't you buying the "wake" boat for the boarding side of things or do you just want a cool boat to go and hang out with friends or family? If you're really getting into wakeboarding and wake is important, save the money and buy a wake you like. Especially brand new from the factory. You can always use the extra savings to add items such as zero off and an upgraded stereo. I'm still new to the Axis' but I'm assuming the A22 is 22' and the VLX is only 21'. So for 10k less you can get a bigger boat and a wake you like better? It's a no brainer to me man go with the Axis, save some money, or use the savings to bling it out a bit and you'll still probably have money left over.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-22-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
For that price, I would also go VLX, both have great wakes. Interior, tower, power wedge, maliview, fit and finish, etc.. on the VLX are not even comparable to Axis. That price on the VLX is pretty unheard of these days.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-22-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Cant wait til i have this problem. But like the above posters said do you want a better wake or a better boat. Things that would come into my decision would be how long do you plan to keep it. If you plan to get a new one in a couple years... take the steal on the VLX. If you plan to keep it for awhile I would go with the boat that had the wake i liked better. B/c thats what i use my boat for.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-22-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
Some say they like the A22 wake better but have you EVER heard of people complain about a VLX wake? It's a world class wake too, no doubt about it. The wakes are similar but the interior and fit and finish are miles apart.

People on here rave about the A22 and with good reason, it's a great boat. Because of people like Chat I almost bought one too (along with MB's as well, I really came close to one of those), but when I sat in the Axis in the showroom side by side with the Malibu, it just wasn't my dream boat. I think the VLX is classic and appeals to a broad range of buyers and you can be sure in 5 years it will still be worth $7k more than the axis. If it was me and my money, I'd go VLX.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-22-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
I agree with Levi... Go for the VLX.. Thats a great price.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
Great Great price on the VLX. Probably getting rid of it because no future Malibu will be ordered by dealers without surf gate (IMO). That VLX wake is great as well, and unless you are in the top 1-5% of all riders, I doubt you will notice the difference of either wake (unless you ride them side by side, then maybe). the VLX is the better deal, but if you don't want maliview and power wedge, then I would lean towards the Axis.

As it sits right now, although fun to pick your exact colors and options, the VLX sounds like a great deal. Does it have bow ballast? if not and you plan on riding hard, you will need to get bow ballast some how.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-24-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
VLX does has bow ballast and Im getting a price on having them install some plug and play so I can load it up easier. I am leaning towards the VLX. What i noticed was the interior quality was drastically different and i cant justify spending a similar amount of money on a boat of less quality. Might have have a few more PBJs in my life!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-24-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
VLX does has bow ballast and Im getting a price on having them install some plug and play so I can load it up easier. I am leaning towards the VLX. What i noticed was the interior quality was drastically different and i cant justify spending a similar amount of money on a boat of less quality. Might have have a few more PBJs in my life!
"2013 interior on the Axis will be way better - buy it"

/ chatt
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
I was also considering a new A22 and was in a similar situation. I liked the A22 but the VLX was nicer in every way and the price was close enough that the VLX was a no brainer.

After having ridden both I thought that the VLX had a "better" wake than the A22. Why? Because with the VLX you get the power wedge, and you can really fine tune the wake the way you like it. With the A22 you get full wedge or none at all since there is no power wedge option, just the floating wedge. With the VLX you can make it as lippy or mellow as you want, and everything in-between, and all on the fly. It's a feature I really appreciate and use all the time since we have such a variety of riders on the boat.

It's easier to add ballast to the nose of the A22 with the plug-n-play, and it's all under the seats. That's a nice feature if you don't mind the more cramped driver leg room area.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
I agree with the others. The VLX is just more boat for the money, plus if you ever decide to sell I have to believe the resale is way better on the VLX.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
I agree with the others. The VLX is just more boat for the money, plus if you ever decide to sell I have to believe the resale is way better on the VLX.
I agree VLX resale likely to be better. Besides who knows if Axis will even be around in 5yrs. Malibu might decide it was a dumb idea, not making financial sense for them and shut it down.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-03-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
One thing I considered when the dealer offered me a demo A22. That was if the brand will continue. I don't think they are selling well here in MN. But I see a ton on here so they must be selling. I also worry about the same thing with Tige up here as every dealer in the last 15 years has folded inside of 3 years or so.

Probably worry took much as I haven't pulled the trigger yet!!
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-03-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
I have a very nice 2012 VLX that is at the dealer that I would sell for 66,500.00 and I will leave in the plug and play bags. Has about 22 hrs. I have had both would go with the VLX everytime. Love the Axis great boat but like all the extras on the VLX. You will like either