Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    or fakie for me            06-11-2001, 2:31 PM Reply   
i have had a terrible time trying to do a raley. 1)i cut outside the wake a good distance. 2) on my progressive cut i keep my ass near the water and i am behind my feet. 3) when my feet fly behind me they don't stop. i try to keep my eye on the tower and remember to pull towards my knees but it never fails that i flip over. i ride left foot forward, and this is a heelside attempt. i almost land this trick but i hit the water right foot forward( or fakie for me) then i loose the handle. should i hesitate on pulling the handle to my knees, vice versa, or what???
Old                06-11-2001, 4:39 PM Reply   
Ok, here is how you fix that problem.

1. Balance in key. Equal weight on both feet is important.
2. Only cut as hard as you can control. As you start cutting beyond your ability, you become very heavy on your back foot. This makes you land switch.

So, concentrate on your progressive edge, and dont worry about gaining speed. Speed will come as you get better. Make sure you reach your max load at the peak of the wake. Equal weight on both feet will keep you straight in the air. Dont fix your eyes on the tower, rather keep you head up and look to the horizon. With these basics down, you will know when to pull in.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Good luck.
Jason
Old                06-11-2001, 4:44 PM Reply   
try lifting the handle up to pull it back down instead of in. i know it may sound weird, but think about it. if you pull the handle down or in when you are in a laid out position it is either going to rotate or flip you if you pull it up it brings your body back under you. THINK ABOUT IT.

travis
ridethespot.com
Old                06-11-2001, 7:18 PM Reply   
Joseph, travis has a point, but I think J.G. is hitting more towards what your problem is. I still occasionally do what you do, but I can correct it instantly simply by thinking about putting a little more weight on the front foot at takeoff. "Stargazing" is the official name for what your board is doing, and it certainly makes it more difficult to land the trick. Just think about adding a little more weight on your front foot right before you hit the wake, and not only will you avoid the stargaze, but I think you'll notice a little more POP as well, making the Raley even that much easier. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old                06-12-2001, 10:24 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice. i definitely look forward to trying this. i know for a fact that most of my weight is on my back foot on the progressive cut. i will keep you updated and keep any advice coming. thanks again
Old    and hit the wake this way too            06-18-2001, 6:16 PM Reply   
hey i kinda have a problem doing a raley as well. it sounds like joe was doing a 180 at the end and i however do a complete flip at the end of the trick. its tuff to keep the board from going over my head. should i try weighting my front foot more? also begin the cut with my arms stretched all the way out(and hit the wake this way too) is this the way it should be done? if seen a few pros do it in videos and that seems to be how they start? any info would help
Old                06-19-2001, 7:28 AM Reply   
Keep your head up, and the handle out in front of your face. This will straighten you out. Also, HOLD ON!! If you bail too early, you will always do a front flip. Keep the handle in your hand, its the only way to land it!
Old                06-23-2001, 11:57 AM Reply   
Was wondering if anyone could tell me how to stop rolling on my raleys. R.foot..hs approach, right as I get laid out I start to roll to my left on the way down. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old                06-25-2001, 8:00 AM Reply   
Same deal... too much weight on your left foot when you leave the wake. Evenly distribute your weight on both feet, this will keep you straight, and look ahead, not to your right.