Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       05-18-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
My son & I are going to give wakeskating a try next weekend. Have been wakeboarding for several years, and he's OK on a skateboard. He's very good on a wakesurfer, and we both ride a Ronix Covenant (like a Roam or a snowboard) on occasion. We are rookies for wakeskating.

We have an X2 and a Seadoo Wake. What speed and rope length should we use?

My local dealer loaned us a CWB Onset to demo. I see that this is an advanced board. Is that going to be too much for us?

Finally, any suggestions for cheap shoes we can use for this? My son actually has some UGP wakeskating shoes, but he wears them everyday and doesn't want to trash them (yet).

Any other advice for a novice would be appreciated.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
the shoes will not be trashed in the water. they are designed to be in and out of the water a lot.

no wakeskate is to advanced for a beginner, but a lot of bilevel wakeskates are really fragile and are prone to cracking and breaking easily if ridden wrong
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       05-19-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Thanks Mitch.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-25-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
like mitch said no wakeskate is too advanced for a beginner. i would not suggest getting a beginner wakeskate because they will definitely limit you if you want to start trying any tricks.

havent tried the onset yet but it should be great to get started on.

i ride at 55-60' 20-22 mph
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       05-27-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Thanks Mike. My son tried the Onset and did great. Good height on his ollies, some one wake jumps and some surface spins first time out. He liked it so much, he never tried the two wakeboards we had to demo (they're going back to the shop and he's keeping the Onset). I think he's officially converted to wakeskating after one weekend.

What's the best instructional video out there?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-27-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Steve, get The Book for wakeskating. Aaron Reed does the instructions and it is super indepth. it helped me so much. The explain not just how to do the tricks but why you do them a certain way.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       05-27-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks again Mitch. I have The Book series for wakeboarding, and it is awesome. I imagine Aaron Reed is pretty entertaining as well.
Old     (bwags500)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-08-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
where can i get the book