Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-14-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Bad news for boaters. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110121/...us_epa_ethanol My nephew is a chemist at an oil company and can varify the below comment a reader made on Yahoo. Also, I have read that ethanol causes a greater cancer risk than fossil fuel, needless to say what it does to small engines and boat motors. I strongely recommend writing your local representative. Jeff had this to say: "Well I live in new york and they have mandated that all gas in this state have 10% ethanol added in gasoline well I have a bit of an issue with it! Since they started this little program my millage went from 18.8/gal to 14.5/gal and I know it is because of the ethanol when my family and I go on vacation it is usally down south where it is not mandated to have 10% ethanol added to gas and low and behold my milage goes right back up to 18.8/gal now for all you people out there that want to save the world how does burning 338 gallons more per yr save the planet this 338 number is derived by using a simple spread sheet figuring I fill my tank once a week my truck has a 21 gallon tank do the math."
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-14-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Thats what happens when you have an organization run by morons with little oversight.
Old    SamIngram            02-14-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
One of Reagan's biggest mistakes!

American's Crazed Corn Habit
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-14-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Government needs to get out of this and give people a choice. Corn ethanol is artificially cheap as it is heavily subsidized at several steps along the way (farmers, distilling). It's not cost effective on its own, and it's not even cost effective when heavily subsidized. First you pay your taxes to pay farmers to grow the corn, then you pay your taxes to ethanol distillers, then you pay to buy more gallons of fuel to go the same distance. It's insanely expensive and should not be forced upon us. Just another example of government overstepping its bounds.

Aside from that, I like E85. I wish it were available more locally. It'd be nice to have 105 octane to build a nasty high compression engine for my car, since I don't care about MPG in that and rarely take it on longer trips. But I don't want this stuff forced on me. It hurts MPG and it's annoying to have to rejet my carbs and check my timing curve every time some goon from the government decides to force a different blend of fuel down my throat.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
Yeah, I calculated that ethanol is about half as efficient as gasoline based on my milage drop. So if it's 10% ethanol, you're losing about 5%. Your number is a bit more drastic. It's over 20%!
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-14-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
It's the "forced down our throats" that bothers me. This all started during the Carter administration which mirrors some of the policies of our current administration. Page 4 is where it discussses ethanol but the document makes for some interesting parallels to what is occuring now. Isn't there some type of phrase about history repeating itself? http://www.thepresidency.org/storage...s/Mitchell.pdf
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Better in our gas than our food. If they want energy independence they should make bio diesel out of the fat of obese people who died from diabetes.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-14-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
Bad news for boaters. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110121/...us_epa_ethanol ,,,,, Since they started this little program my millage went from 18.8/gal to 14.5/gal and I know it is because of the ethanol ."
And they run like ----!
Old    deltahoosier            02-15-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Car and Driver or Motor Trend did a article on it a couple years ago. They basically said if you used ethanol, you would be 30% less efficient.