Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-13-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
Just curious? I have had a couple surguries and my knees ache all the time. Was wondering how many other people on this site have trouble with their knees and what you do about it?
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2005, 8:33 PM Reply   
2 summers ago, i went in for orthoscopic surgery on my knee from many previous (probably hockey) injuries. The doc pulled out a piece of bone that had chipped off the inside of my knee cap, and from there began to gather calcium. For such a small hole in my knee, the doc pulled out this piece which was 1/2" in diameter. Before and after my knee problem i wore a brace when wakeboarding.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-13-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
I was in a car accident 4 years ago and split my knee cap in half and a piece chipped off. The smoothed it out and sewed the knee cap back together. The past couple of years I've been back out on the water and ride with a brace. It hurts a little bit after but it's worth it to ride again. The winter sucks though because it hurts most of the time. I'm actually going to go snowboarding in a couple of weeks and I'm almost positive I'm not going to be able to ride all day since I'll be on it all the time. Does anyone else have a harder time snowboarding than wakeboarding with a bad knee?
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-13-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
Bad knees is common in boardsports. Usually, the taller you are also the more prone you are to knee injuries. I've injured both knees- right is worse with no miniscus left. I wear a brace and continually work on leg strength to keep going. I'm 41 so they ain't getting any better!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-13-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
blew the ACL, MCL and tore a medial miniscus in half wakeboarding in Aug. Surgery was in November. Plan on being back to all sports (wakin, softball, soccer, mountain biking) by mid-May with a CTI2. PT 3X a week and 6X a week at home. I am not going to let it stop me, or slow me down... but I sure don't want to ever go through this again.

8 weeks post op, today, and I went jogging for the first time tonight. It's definitely slow going. LOL
Old    sliderfreak            01-13-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
im 16 with tendonitis in both knees.doc said i would grow out of it but i dunno im rather hard on them.exercise greatly helps
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-13-2005, 11:22 PM Reply   
I am 32 and until recently believed that I had iron clad knee's. A life time of baseball and being a conveyor monkey (industrial control electrician) all changed after casing the wake on a simple w2w tail grab. I have been told by the Doc that it was a torn miniscus but have not had a MRI to verify. It has been almost a year since the injury and I have painless mobility with full range of motion now. every once and a while after having it bent for along period of time if feel a little pain and stiffness for a few moments when extending it. I assume that this is due to scar tissue and not gettig it to release all the way. So as a pre-caution I ride with the best knee brace sports-mart has to offer.

Misty; hope to see you on the water soon, No more ballast riding.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-14-2005, 4:48 AM Reply   
I had one of my cartilage removed. My knee is ok, but I get shin splints (spelling?) all the time.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-14-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
I had extensive knee surgery in June. I'm sure I'll be a little gimped out from here on out.
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-14-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
tore my ACL and miniscus last spring. had surgery early june. recovery went great. I have been skiing and snowboarding since late november. I am now hucking cliffs and riding any terrian I want. I wear no brace as the doc says my new knee is as strong or stronger than the other one, as long as the muscles surrounding it are strong. I do still get tight and a little sore after a full day, but nothing to complain about. anyone out there ever reinjure the same knee after surgery? anyone you know?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-14-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
I'm 51 with NO ACL>>>and two weeks ago i tore my minicus...rode last year with a brace and will be driving all this year...
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-14-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
I'm 20 and had ACL/MCL reconstruction 2 years ago. Also tore the lateral meniscus. Just took a hard landing in the flats once. I'm back riding to normal now but just not as much. I find myself wakeskating more and more.
Old    bobbymucic            01-14-2005, 10:10 PM Reply   
I'm 33. A motorcycle wreck started my knee problem in '89. I've had 3 surgeries:
1990 scope meniscus
1999 acl recon
200 scope clean-up

I wear a brace for snowboarding, wakeboarding, and beach volleyball. I avoid contact sports.

Nowadays, by back hurts more than my knee.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-14-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
damn knee, it pops out of joint when it wants....

I have a brace but I didn't want to be dependent on it. I rode all summer without a problem. Next surgery is a laser shrinking of my tendons to tighten up my kneecap.

(Message edited by rson on January 14, 2005)
Old    jmo52            01-14-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
Thanks guys Now I,m trippin on my knees.My left one has dilocated 4 times and my right one pops all the time.Both thanks to the CR250.I need operations on both but dont want to be down that long.Knock on wood my left one has been all good for a couple of years now.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-14-2005, 11:36 PM Reply   
I had my left knee scoped twice and twice on my right knee as well as having a big chunk of cartilidge that was missing from the end of my femur. I had carticel surgery where they get a little piece of cartilidge that is present and they grow it for 6 weeks in which they the took a graph of my chin bone and sewed it around the area that was affected leaving a little opening so that the cells of the could be injected and then it is sewed shut. The protocol for the surgery was to stay away from any type of activity for 18 months, fortunately with a little therapy and a lot of prayer I was riding again a little before a 1 year.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
Arun, I also have articular cartilege damage on my fumur. I definitely understand your pain. Two years ago I underwent a micro-facture procedure to help the femur damage. It included 8 weeks of CPM work and crutches. Now I am a strong power walker and a wimpy wake boarder. So, I would be very interested in hearing more details about your procedure -- it sounds pretty amazing.
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-15-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Two surgeries on my left knee and counting - you never know! Last one was 14 months ago - had 2 titanium screws removed and still have 2 in there. The screws are from a split femur (landed directly on my patela playing rugby and it acted like a wedge to split my femur like a log). That hurt - but not as much as when I broke my humorous in half snowboarding, very nasty break - happened 4 months or so after my recent knee surgery...so back to back PT for me, I'm just getting back in the gym. The arm x-ray is nasty nasty nasty!

Partially torn MCL also in the left knee discovered in my last surgery - MRI's don't do much when you have hardware in there - so surgery is the only way to tell for sure. Leaving the MCL alone - doesn't bother me at all except sometimes when I do heavy squats.

I can ride and play sports with the best of them - the key is to be real serious when it comes to PT and don't let your confidence slip!
Old    wakeboardn4life            01-15-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Jamie Korstrom i have a small ball in my left knee i wonder if it is the same thing you had it hasn't been there long and it hasnt got any bigger really and doesn't hurt do you think it could be the same thing you had
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-15-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
38...Tore the Rt ACL 8 years ago, never had it repaired. Wear a CTI knee brace, and ride like a dork.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-15-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
Geeeeezo, there are alot of people with knee problems, I know it sounds terrible but that makes me feel much better about my own knee problems. Now that we are comparing scars, here it goes, Rotator cuff tear lft shoulder, Biceps tendon tear Rt shoulder, Elbow Surgury for osicles a few years ago. Colon rupture 2 days after my Patela tendon rupture 2 years ago. 4 hernia surguries and 1 apendix surgury. Hopefully the next surgury I will have will be at the hair club for men he he he just kidding.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
My knees are SO bad! I got TWO knee braces, and they read BAD M*TH*RF*CK*R just like Samuel Jackson. That's how bad my knees are!
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
I see that I am in the very small minority of female riders that get to boast about knee injuries.

Six knee surgeries (and not counting on any more). No more cartilage (meniscus) and a redesign of my ACL.

If anyone asks, my right knee has been retrofitted and my left knee has been rewired and is up to code (I work with construction terminology way too often).

But, I hiked Machu Picchu in April, I skied in Chile in July and will be wakeboarding in Brasil next month. Yes, my knees often ache; however, I do not let the pain repel me from the activities in which I enjoy.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
Torn ACL in April, just finishing rehab and getting cleared for riding in the spring. I had the patellar tendon bond graft and it seems to be doing pretty well, but I haven't wakeboarded or snowboarded on it yet. Torn it on a straight wake jump in warmup for a tournament. Makes you think that you can tear it anytime, not just on hard tricks.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-16-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
I blew out my knee during some weight training in college. No surgery was needed but I did to through a bit of physical therapy. It will only effect my riding if I try to stretch my sessions beyond 20 minutes.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-17-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
14 seasons of hockey and 7 seasons of riding leave me pretty hobbled some days.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2005, 3:02 AM Reply   
Tore my ACL and meniscus on Memorial Day... Surgery on July 16th, had tons of PT, and going to the gym a lot to rebuild the muscle since it atrophied so much. I've got about 3 more months till I'm cleared to do anything wild and fun again, and I'm hopin to get a good brace prescribed/made.

good luck everyone, damn knees
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-18-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
Gary: 122 more days, and I am SOOO back on that board, baby!!! Although, the video of me re-learning should be just about as fun as the boarding!!

Kevin (ktmwakeboarder): Why so long post op til you can ride again?? I'm thinking you are talking 9 months post-op for sports?? Could be the Dr, etc, but I am just curious.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-18-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
I too have bad knees. Mine started my freshman year of baseball. Slid into second, my steel cleats got stuck into the bag and I twisted my knee. From that day on my knee has bothered the crap out of me. It's not to bad in the winter but when I start riding the throbing starts. I think the worst it hurt was last summer after hitting about 5 dubs and going huge into the flats. When I get home I will jump in the spa or throw a heat pad around it, this helps out.

(Message edited by ridn9high on January 18, 2005)
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
Misty- Yes, they say 9 months from the surgery is when I can fully go back to all the crazy things I love to do. Everything inside (ACL reconstructed, meniscus trimmed) has been repaired and all, but the main thing stopping me from being fully active is the loss of so much muscle; quad, ham, calf... So my Dr and the physical therapists say that 8-9 months is pretty standard for the injury I sustained. This amount of time allows for the rebuilding (strength) and retraining (stability) of the muscles. So I try to think about all the glorious wakin to come to motivate me to continue to work out.

I'm so sad, I missed out on so much of my water season (I was permanent driver for the rest of summer, still happy to at least be on the water fo sho), and pretty much the entire snow season :-( At least I was able to get a lot of riding in before Memorial Day!
Old    jdavis4            01-19-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Torn MCL