Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    gap52            01-07-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
I am looking into buying a wakeboard boat I am currently looking at Tige Switch V (2004) and a 2005 Moomba LSV would like some opinions and comparisons.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
is the 2004 used?
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-10-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Gilbert,
There is now comparison. The 2005 Moomba not only is a better value, but will have more creature comforts, better ride, better construction, better warrenties with engine and boat, and more storage!! Take a closer look and the Moomba will destroy that the Tige.
Old    jchamlee            01-10-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
I bought a new Moomba Mobius LSV last summer and every day I thank myself for that decision. I've never ridden behind a Tige, but I love the Moomba. Lots of my friends also have Skier's Choice boats, and they are all great.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-10-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   

quote:

There is now comparison. The 2005 Moomba not only is a better value, but will have more creature comforts, better ride, better construction, better warrenties with engine and boat, and more storage!! Take a closer look and the Moomba will destroy that the Tige

Talk about a "text book" boat salesman answer.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-10-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Better ride than Tige, destroy the Tige???? I would agree that you can get more creature comforts, but to say that the construction of a Moomba is better than Tige is a huge stretch. I would suggest driving both boats and go from there. I have a Tige 22V and can say that it is a very well built boat that will handle rough water better than any Moomba. My wife and I test drove pretty much every boat including the Tige 20V (same hull as the Switch V) and the Moomba and personally liked the ride of the 20V better. However, if our budget was around $35K we would have seriously considered the Moomba given the value (more options). I think that you would be happy either way. Both boats are good boats, just have different strengths. (Note that Gerry is a Moomba dealer)
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-10-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
For Sure... don't listen to anyone who knocks any boat out there. They are all good/bad in their own respects, you just have to decide for yourself what you like. I ride a Tige and love it. To knock Tige's construction is absurd. Just check the weight difference between brands - Tige is one of the heaviest you can get - that weight means solid construction - thicker fiberglass, better dampening, beefier stringers. Go to the boat show and get a test drive set up and decide for yourself.
Old    sean123            01-10-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Matt....Heavier dosent mean better!
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
I generally feel that Tige is the better boat, however, the 04 Switch line was so basic that theres no comparison here, especially looking at the 05 moomba line. I was in an 05 LSV 3 days ago and it blew me away. some really nic eupgrades this year such as vinyl and more rounded cusions.. LSV wins this..anyday.

However The 20v Tige is far better specced then the Switch (as Zeda hit on), in that comparison i'd think about going with the 20v.

But, if the switch and LSV are yuor options, the LSV is better specced, uses better vinyl, is similar money depending on where you are shopping, has more storage and is generally the far superior boat.

As a side note, even though the Tige will have Taps, the Moomba will likely have the wakeplate option which acts in a very similar way, if not quite as effective as the tige system.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-10-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
Sean, I was bored so I compared a bunch of 22' runabouts in weight. The best brands somehow had the heavier boats... Amazing!

Bayliner 22' 3368 lbs
Bryant 23' 3,760 lbs
Glastron 23' 3,800 lbs
Chaparral22' 3,650 lbs
Maxum 22' 3,735 lbs
Sea Ray 22' 4,150 lbs
Cobalt 22' 4,150 lbs.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-10-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
KJ,

Nice simplification completely ignoring chopper gun versus hand laid, stringer construction and installation (glued or glassed in?), how the top deck is mated to the hull, etc. There is more to it than just weight but that is a start.

Gilbert,

As always, drive some boats and then decide.

(Message edited by justridin on January 10, 2005)
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-10-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Does wood weigh more than fiberglass? J/k
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-10-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
Yeah jonm, because Tige's still have wood!! J/K

Hey Gilbert, PM me and I will tell you about the 04 Switch V, I have one.
Old    gap52            01-11-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Hey guys thanks for all the input. I am going this weekend to Phoenix to looke at the two boats.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-11-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
If I had to pick between the Switch & the LSV, I would take the LSV. I own a Tige 21V. If I had to pick between LSV and any other Tige V drive I would take the Tige.
Jason said
My wife and I test drove pretty much every boat including the Tige 20V (same hull as the Switch V)

The hulls are NOT the same.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
Hulls are the same Greg. The way the rear of the boats come down is different but the running surfaces are the same.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-11-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Darren is right. The hulls are the same.

The Moomba salesman said the warranty was better. Not on the hull, at least - the Tige has a lifetime REPLACEMENT warranty. IF the hull fails, you will get a new one, not a fixed one.

The Moomba is a lot bigger than the 20V you are looking at, so if you need lots of room I couldn't blame you for taking the Moomba. I personally beleive the Tige to be a bit better built.

Gilbert, depending on how much research you've done, you may not understand the wood jokes above. Tige used to use WOOD stringers. I challenge anyone to find one that has failed. It simply never happened. Tige either got tired of criticism, found non-wood to be cheaper, or at least decided wood wasn't superior and changed in 2003.
Old    tigeboy1969            01-12-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
I haven't posted here since I did my research between Tige and Moomba last year. I decided on the tige for several reasons. The only statement in favor of the LSV that I can agree with in this post is that the interior is nicer. However, that's only in terms of the seats themselves. The Tige is wider, roomier and deeper and still more comfortable even with the cheaper seats. The performance of the Tige is as good if not better than some of the more expensive models and much better in my opinion than the Moomba. The Tige is simply much better built than the Moomba. A simple look at inside the storage lockers, under dash, etc. will confirm this. And most important in my decision is that the Tige hull warranty is the best out there and it's never had a claim. However, in my research I found that Moomba has had many, as can be seen in this picture of a Moomba (this is between the rear seat and storage locker):

This was all I needed to go with the Tige. I decided that I was buying a boat and not seats and when it comes down to it, the performance is really what matters in buying a boat, not the thickness of the seats.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-12-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
An unvented/clogged ballast bag that overfilled caused that.(Pushing the rear seat up) The boat was returned to the factory and the Deck was replaced under warranty and the ballast system repaired. FWIW.
Old    zboomer            01-12-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Interesting. I never thought about that, but a bag being filled with water can exert tremendous pressure.

Hell they are used in industry to lift heavy equipment, and for emergency extractions.

Wow, interesting. Note to self, make sure bag is clear and not pushing on anything!
Old    bambamski            01-12-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Wow that's crazy! One would think the bag would burst before the fiberglass would give away though? Or the pump would stop because of the backward pressure?

That should make you think twice about putting an oversized bag into your ski locker.

Old    tige_joe            01-12-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
A heavier boat wouldn't need water ballast.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-12-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
I find that very interesting Tige Boy but I'm sure if i looked hard enuff I could find something similar that has happened to a Tige. And that was posted w/o you i'm sure, even knowing what truely happened.

I think thats awesome Rick Tinker justified the cause and what they did to fix the problem.
Old    hundo            01-12-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
I think if they wanted to they could have elected not to fix it since it cracked under abnormal conditions. Maybe the factory really did'nt know how it happened? If they did know then hats off to Supra.
Old    bambamski            01-12-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
Sounds like a pretty simple thing that went really wrong.

I don't no Rick, why don't you spin it off on a positive note? Advertise it, Something like "OUR BAGS DON'T BURST" or something like that.

How many of us have filled the ballast tanks waiting for the overflow to kick in? You wouldn't have a clue until it was too late.
Old    tige_joe            01-12-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
Guess I'll just stick with my 600lbs of lead. Seems easier.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
an oldie-but-goody:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/56263.html
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
and Tigés do throw similar-size wakes with less weight than other lighter boats.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-12-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
It is good to see that this thread did not deteriorated into the typical boat bashing of both brands plus the usual no so helpful input of "you should buy another brand cause it is better than either of the topic boats". While posting a pic of a cracked hull looks bad, it really could happen to any brand boat so how it was dealt with speaks well for that boat builder. If both boats are coming from equally good dealers Gilbert should be happy with either choice. I hope he posts what that choice was and what was the deciding factor.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-12-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
Ya know, I see a picture like that and I think first – I bet that has a story and second, I bet alcohol was involved.

BTW - Rick didn’t say that, no one implied it, I just suspect if the full story was known, stupid soup played a role.

SD2
Old    xtreme_kc            01-14-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
I agree. Damage that extreme is very rarely related to manufacturing quality. BTW, we sell Skier's Choice products, along side one of the "BIG 3" wake boat manufacturers, and quality has never been an issue with the Skier's Choice products.
I take issue with anyone who doesn't have the insight (or desire) to understand what actually IS a well built boat, but can make statements like "The Tige is simply much better built than the Moomba-A simple look at inside the storage lockers, under dash, etc. will confirm this"
I have seen every wake boat built disassembled, and I can tell you that many manufacturers do a great job of hiding their weaknesses under carpet, and behind foam and vinyl. Why would a manufacturer put a plastic drop-in tub under a seat, lessening the amount of storage available? Usually to hide something!
I can also tell you that a few of the "Wood Free " boats do in fact use wood in seat backs, and in combing pads. I have seen it with my own eyes, on very "current" product.
I agree with the philosophy of "if it fits your needs, in your budget, and you like the style, it can't be a bad fit!"
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-16-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
Ya know, I see a picture like that and I think first – I bet that has a story and second, I bet alcohol was involved.

What kind of ignorant generalization is that?

I have many times gotten busy with the rope or boards etc and had my ski locker "pop" open from overfilling a sac .......and all this without the aid of alcohol.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-16-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
And when the ski locker popped you did what? Wait for the hull to crack?

If you are going to get agitated at my gross generalization that you mistook for a specific personal affront, stop making my case for me.

I’ll bet money those folks tried to trailer that boat with all that water and that is when the hull cracked. How do I know, because I’ve see lots of swamped boats without cracked hulls. Maybe you could crack the hull on a double-up loaded like that but last I checked even the most casual WB rider is fracturing the gross weight limit of their boat.

Last year I saw a boat up on the rocks and made the same generalization. Guess what, stupid soup was involved. Also the car that went off the road into my lake - the driver drowned, also the guy that was swimming in the middle of the lake and drowned. How about the moron that disabled the cutoff on his jet ski and missed my buddies head (while he was swimming on the other side of the lake in the marked swim zone) by two feet. Two feet over his head, not next to it. That guy was too drunk to swim to shore. In fact, I cannot think of a major water accident that did not involve alcohol. Sure they can happen, but it pays to be just a wee bit suspicious when the story begins, “there I was quietly, safely, and peacefully eating my cookies and drinking my buttermilk, when I carefully dipped the defective cookie into the milk, whereupon, much to my surprise, an explosion occurred.”

And as long as I’m wasting this much time. What kind of rocket scientist says we have the best hull warrantee in the business, and we have never had to pay on it. Think that one all the way through kids.

Gotta go,

SD2
Old    zboomer            01-17-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
Not sure about the rest of the boat, but I went to the Austin (tx) boat show this weekend, and Tige takes the "ugliest tower" award, far and away by a landslide.

Lord, who designed their new tower? It's hidious, damn. I wouldn't buy an '05 simply because of that god-awful tower.

My wife commented, "That looks like something someone would weld together in their back yard."

They had the missfortune of being positioned by the Malibu display as well, with the incredible Illusion X, CFT Blade, and Titan towers all on display.

No offense intended, just our opinion that's all.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-17-2005, 1:05 PM Reply   
Jeff

I did not take it personally at all. I simply commented on you passing judgement on something for which you have no facts other than a photo.

You gotta relax dude.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
Maybe a few drinks would help?
Old    gap52            01-18-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
Hey guys thanks again for the input I didn't this to get crazy about alcohol being a reason for many misfourtune on the water, because it is not the alcohol that is the problem it is the person not controling the amount that is consumed and going overboard no pun intended.
Any way back to the subject we got to try the Tige Switch V and also got to demo a Tige 22V. Both very nice boats.
Then we got to demo a Supra Launch 21 V and boy we sure are inpressed with just about every part of the boat and that is including the wake it gives out. By the way we did not like the MOOMBA at all too shallow inside and didn't even demo it because it felt like we were in a deck boat, and when we sat in it our knees were in our chest, boy for the first time in my life I felt like I was about 6 feet tall. If the deal works out it looks like the Supra will be our choice. We did look a the Malibu's but did not get a chance to demo, but again the Supra is better equiped and is better priced, for us.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-18-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
The 21V is a great boat. Supra is going to make a killing on that boat
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Gilbert......in Darth Vader voice "welcome to the supra side"

you'll be totall happy w/ your 21v, I know I am.
Old     (wakecrazy21v)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-20-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Gilbert the 21v is great ,just just went out wed.19 we had 7 poeple plus 1100lbs & the wake plate @ half. The wake awsome. water temp was 46 air 60 we even got our dealer out to ride. Oh suprasteve I messed up on my email sorry , pm me again thanks. John
Old    gap52            02-03-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
Well we finally made the decision we went with the Supra, it out did the Tige. Better wake and we just liked the Supra much more. Like Chris wrote Supra is going to make a killing on this boat. I would also like to say that the dealer was very good about demoing the boat. We drove 400 miles to demo it and they treated us very good. We can't wait to get to use it every weekend when it gets warmer. The Tige dealer was very goood too but like I said before Supra just out did them, in our opinion Supra is a much better boat. More standard features, and those swing away racks are sooooooo coooool. Again the dealer was very good to us. Thanks Pete, Chris, John and the rest of the crew at Surfside in Mesa AZ
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Those racks are nice. After I demo'd the 21V, swinging racks became a high priority for me.