Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-21-2013, 11:30 PM Reply   
Hey can anyone give me some reviews on the Murray and the Marek boards and how they ride/feel on the water? I hope to demo them but just wanting to get some opinions.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
They are both pretty locked in and have really good pop. For me the Murray was a little more mellow and forgiving, the rolled edge in the center really helps it ride nose high and also helps prevent nasty edge catches. The Marek is a little more lively and has ridiculous pop. Murray can be had with Team Boots for a smoking deal, definitely worth a look.

Not sure your board style preference but you should be sure to check out the Franchise, best board in the line IMO. Little looser than the Marek and Murray, less vertical pop but still plenty of up, and best landings out there.
Old     (JoeDirtSUCKS)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-22-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
I've ridden nothing but my marek nova sense I bought it. Have the system bindings on it and I love the setup. Board had amazing pop and just really likes to fly. Once you get the feel of her she will take good care of you. I've recommended the marek to all my riding buddies. The nova is worth the money if you can spring it. Can promise you will love the marek board.
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-22-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
are they pretty fast in the flats? I've ridden the ronix william bill and parks for comparison if you have rode any of those
Old     (JoeDirtSUCKS)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-22-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
Well I used to ride the ronix one so I don't know how close those are but in the flats the speed is great. You can pretty easily jet across the wake and land far into the flats. It's a big upgrade from my old ronix.
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-22-2013, 6:41 PM Reply   
how light is the nova core an is it pretty thick or thinner?
Old     (JoeDirtSUCKS)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-22-2013, 7:24 PM Reply   
I can't compare it to the regular Marek but the nova is incredibly light. Barely floats in the water its so light.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-23-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
its same thickness just a different core, pvc core rather than the bio3 foam.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-23-2013, 8:16 PM Reply   
I bought a Murray at the start of this season. It's a fun board. Nothing bad about it but just not my favorite. My other board is a Watson Classic so I'm comparing the Murray to the classic. I feel like the classic is much more locked on edge and can hold its edge and accelerate into the wake awesome. The pop of the classic is always so solid and just boots you into the air. The Murray doesn't feel as solid when you lay into it. Now where near the same pop. I would imagine all of this is to be expected by board design. However after a couple runs on the Watson and charging it hard its nice to get on the Murray and cruise. Rides higher in the water and glides better. The Murray can carve fun big arcs that the watson can't. The Murray is much more stable on the water. Really fun to slide around on the lip and in the flats. Great for learning new tricks. It still has some pop but seems to land a little harder. Murray is also really good for new riders to learn on. I think somewhere around 10 people got up for their first time on it this summer. I'm on the hunt to find the board that combines the Murray and Watson Classic. Really interested in trying out a marek. Seems like it might be a board that's close to combining them.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2013, 4:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagar55 View Post
I bought a Murray at the start of this season. It's a fun board. Nothing bad about it but just not my favorite. My other board is a Watson Classic so I'm comparing the Murray to the classic. I feel like the classic is much more locked on edge and can hold its edge and accelerate into the wake awesome. The pop of the classic is always so solid and just boots you into the air. The Murray doesn't feel as solid when you lay into it. Now where near the same pop. I would imagine all of this is to be expected by board design. However after a couple runs on the Watson and charging it hard its nice to get on the Murray and cruise. Rides higher in the water and glides better. The Murray can carve fun big arcs that the watson can't. The Murray is much more stable on the water. Really fun to slide around on the lip and in the flats. Great for learning new tricks. It still has some pop but seems to land a little harder. Murray is also really good for new riders to learn on. I think somewhere around 10 people got up for their first time on it this summer. I'm on the hunt to find the board that combines the Murray and Watson Classic. Really interested in trying out a marek. Seems like it might be a board that's close to combining them.
If you are looking for a faster Watson Classic, I think the LF Harley will be right up your alley. I have no experience behind the Murray or Marek but I have ridden both the Watson Classic and Harley. The Harley is more loose and faster but has the pop and soft landings of the Watson Classic.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-24-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
I rode the Marek last season. I liked it a lot. I'm not sure pop is its strong point though. It's fast, but my Ronix District has more pop. I think big riders tend to get more out of the Marek. It holds an edge really well, and carries speed through the wake, but I'm starting to like a little more vertical pop from a 3 stage rather than the continuous rocker the Marek has. I think my next stick will be a Slingshot Recoil.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-24-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
I've ridden Harley,Marek and the Recoil. I'm 6'4" 220lbs

Harley is faster than Marek Nova and both have good pop for me, but Harley lands much harder

Recoil was a good cable board but didn't compare to either on the boat.

I still continue to ride Marek and love it. Not sure I'll switch.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-24-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
I don't know about the murray but you can't go wrong with the Marek. I have the nova core and it's a really good all around boat board.
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-24-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
I just had the opportunity to demo both the boards your asking about. I actually found that the Murray was a lot tighter on the water than the Marek which I feel like would be great on sketchy landings. Which I thought was weird but both have great pop, both are very fast and forgiving on the landings. According to the Rep the some of the team if you ride the Murray with the fins from the Union its a little more surfy. The Marek had great pop and once on edge is very fast. I rode both the Nova and the Bio core and I could feel no noticeable difference in the cores for the price. I rode the Marek with both .8 and 1.0 inch fins. Ive heard that most people ride the board with the .8s but I found it to be a tad to loose and actually enjoyed the 1.0 inch fins.

Now with all this said I usually ride a hyperlite tribute which is a very surfy shape. It has a very similar rocker line to the Marek and it is designed by Greg Nelson like the Murray. Honestly I preferred the Marek to the Murray because I found it was more similar to my tribute but take my word for what it is. I'd demo both before pulling the trigger on either one.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post

Harley is faster than Marek Nova and both have good pop for me, but Harley lands much harder

I feel like the Recoil has more speed, more pop, and softer landings than the Harley. I will get a chance to try the Marek out at the beginning of next season so I wont have an opinion till then.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-24-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
I forgot to add I ride Marek Nova with the .08 fins. I like a looser ride.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-24-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder12 View Post
I just had the opportunity to demo both the boards your asking about. I actually found that the Murray was a lot tighter on the water than the Marek which I feel like would be great on sketchy landings. Which I thought was weird but both have great pop, both are very fast and forgiving on the landings. According to the Rep the some of the team if you ride the Murray with the fins from the Union its a little more surfy. The Marek had great pop and once on edge is very fast. I rode both the Nova and the Bio core and I could feel no noticeable difference in the cores for the price. I rode the Marek with both .8 and 1.0 inch fins. Ive heard that most people ride the board with the .8s but I found it to be a tad to loose and actually enjoyed the 1.0 inch fins.

Now with all this said I usually ride a hyperlite tribute which is a very surfy shape. It has a very similar rocker line to the Marek and it is designed by Greg Nelson like the Murray. Honestly I preferred the Marek to the Murray because I found it was more similar to my tribute but take my word for what it is. I'd demo both before pulling the trigger on either one.
I switched from a tribute to the Marek. I still have the 1.0 fins on it. I never used the center fin on my tribute. How does the Marek w/ 0.8 fins compare to the tribute w/0 the center fin?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-27-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
New Murray just arrived
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380306778.167757.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  28.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380306834.434272.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  25.2 KB
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-30-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   

----- you just said a week ago you love the marek. Now you have a brand new Murray. What up? If you have a chance to get the new board out on the water try to give us a little comparison on the two.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-30-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagar55 View Post

----- you just said a week ago you love the marek. Now you have a brand new Murray. What up? If you have a chance to get the new board out on the water try to give us a little comparison on the two.

The Murray is not mine. It's for a friend. Just posting pic.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-30-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
Got you. No worries just wondering. See if he will let you have a run or two on it and see how the two compare.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-30-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
I love my '13 murray. It's a great board all around. I really want to try out the marek though.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-02-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
One of the guys that I ride with finally ride his new 14' Murray and said he loved it. He's coming from a Harley and Sid it's way faster and the landings were 10x softer. That thing looks awesome up close too.