Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
working on a stereo upgrade and installed a pair of pro80's with the trick connect 2 clamps. the round stainless clamps.

so i installed the flat bar with the round toothed knob on top of each pro 80, then i mounted the clamps and took off the little bracket, slid the speaker up on there and tightened down the bracket. they seemed pretty snug and the directions said do not overtighten.

we called it a day and headed home. when we got the boat in the garage, i noticed both of the speakers were wobling, so i took a quick peak and the each of the two alen head screws on the little brackets were lose. am i missing something? i did have two washers and two nuts, but i don't think the screws polk through far enough to put those on. am i missing something?

the directions in the box were for the older square clamps, the original quick connect i believe. i kind of assumed the extra nut and washer were for those style clamps.

anybody know?

(Message edited by brucemac on February 21, 2009)
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-21-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
I had the same thing happen to me, except we were out on the lake when I noticed some excess wobble on one of the speakers. I found the same allen/s (the ones on the speaker u bracket) loose. When I got home, I put a dab of removable locktite on the threads and haven't had a problem since. I check the tightness often prior to mounting them on the tower just in case though.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
cool, thanks. i don't have u-brackets though.

so you have the kind of square clamps right?

mine are round.

wonder if the lock-tite will work. which color lock-tite did you buy? the blue or the red?
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-21-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, just realized you were referring to the other style. As for the locktite, I used the blue stuff which is removable. I'm sure you can use the red stuff also which is supposed to be non-removable. It all depends on how much of it you use. You can pick it up at any auto parts store or hardware store.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
cool, thanks again, i'll pick some up. i meant to do that, but spaced it when i was at home depot.

anybody else with the TC2's that can confirm i have these setup right?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
I have the new stainless clamps. No problems on mine. I putt them on tight though.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2009, 9:21 PM Reply   
aaron, so the nuts and washers aren't used right? just two screws for the flat piece on the speaker itself, two screws for the clamps and then another two for the clamp bracket, right?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Wet Sounds installed the new clamps on the enclosure for me. I installed it on the boat after that. Two screws for each clamp and two screws for the little bracket with the teeth on it. No washers on those parts. Not sure about the hardware that gets bolted to the enclosure though.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-22-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
Can you post a picture of the clamps? I asked for the upgraded trick connect 2 clamps when I ordered my speakers, but is sounds like from your description that that is NOT what I got.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-22-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of pics.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-22-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, I must have gotten the older style. I used red lock-tite on the screws holding the base to the speaker and blue on everything else. Haven't been out on the water yet.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Bruce, the nuts and washers are for the flat brackets that mount on the speaker housing. You have to remove the speaker from the enclosure to install them though. I didn't want to take the speaker out so I just used locktite on those screws as well.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-22-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Bruce,

You will want to use the removable locktite and make sure those allen bolts are very tight. Don't take the “don't over tighten” too literal. You need to make sure they are very very tight.

As for the extra lock washers and nut, aaron is correct. Use locktite on those allens as well. Those other parts are for the inside of the speaker.

Speakers ordered from the factory with the TC2 clamps already have these installed. But you ordered them as an upgrade to an older style speaker. So you get the complete upgrade kit with all the hardware.

The TC2 clamps are the ones pictured here and on our site. The older Trick Connect clamps were the square ones with the removable u bracket.

Jon, many dealers may still have inventory of the speakers with the trick connect clamps, and why you got the original trick connect.

But with ours or any other speakers. You should check your bolts every single time you go out. Same with the bolts on the tower.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
so Tim, do I need to take the grill off and put those washers an lock nuts on the inside then? even if i use lock-tite?

(Message edited by brucemac on February 22, 2009)
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-23-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
If you use loctite I don't think the nuts and washers are needed. I didn't use them.