Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-23-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Got the boat out of storage this weekend to run it. Filled all the bags up but now cant get them to empty. I have played with the switches flipping them from fill then to empty, but just wont empty! Anybody have any ideas? Was a pain pushing the boat back in the garage with all the ballast full. We do it by hand because it is so tight. Don't want to do that again!!!!!
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
I had that happen on my X1 and it was the ballast impellers, I was only able to empty one side. Turned out to be an easy fix. Good luck!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wow. Unhook the hose from the sac! Your trailer tires will thank you!
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-23-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
How hard is it to change the impellers? I bought some new yellow ones last season but never put them in. The old ones were doing fine til now!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Is the pump spinning and just not emptying, or not spinning (locked up)?

I bump my RPMs up to about 1000 before hitting the fill/empty switches, but I have never had the 'lock up' issue with my simers.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
you want the yellow one's but I had the dealer do it so I can't speak to how hard it is to make the switch. I am sure there are people on here that can talk you through it or check out this link http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=1667936

(Message edited by gregg_rossi on March 23, 2009)
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-23-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
The pumps fill just fine, you can hear the pumps but when I switch to empty nothing happens and I can hear nothing. Its like the impellers are stuck in fill and wont reverse and spin the other way to empty. Does anyone know how to change them?
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Looks like my search expired on that link but there is instructions on how to change them on the teamtalk forum.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-23-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Thanks gregg!!!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-23-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Sounds like you have a problem common to a lot of ballast pumps. You might search here for 'blue globe impellers' or something.

I had the same problem with the stock black impellers for my jabsco water puppy pumps. I switched first to yellow impellers which filled and emptied fine but would leak or auto-fill empty ballast tanks when running down the lake because of ... pitot-tube like pressure? Now I've got blue globe impellers which like the yellow, never stick, but unlike the black, aren't completely trustworthy about stopping completely the auto-fill problem.

On my boat, the change-out of the belly ballast tank has me removing my kick plate under the helm, tying it aside and out of the way with string so I would not have to bother with disconnecting all the electrical connections to it, laying on my back on the floor of the boat, and removing the hoses and dis-mounting the water pump with my arms directly over my head. The year-later model year of my 211 has all the pumps easily accessible in the engine compartment -- but then, that's not my year.

My water pumps are held on by six (6) ss wood screws into a fiberglas covered block (maybe wood block). When re-mounting, I found it helpful to slide five (5) nails in five of the pre-existing mounting holes, and go from there.

I find that there are a lot of boasts on this site about how fast and smoothly projects went, to the point of stretching credibility. If I had to do it a third time, I'd give myself two to three hours. I always towed my boat out of my storage and trailered to my home so I could work in daylight. That helped a lot with visibility in dark compartments.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
I changed to the yellow impellers in my '04 x-2 a few months ago and it isn't too bad of a job. All the pumps are held on by four stainless screws that are just screwed into the fiberglass. The belly pump is on the driver's side under the rear seat and it is the easiest to change. The tank pumps are behind a false wall on either side of the transom that has to be removed. It's a prety tight fit back there, so I took out the engine panels to give me more room down in there. Each pump has three screws holding the impeller housing cover on and the impeller should pull right out. If they are the originals, you may have to get some pliers to remove them. Either way, it should be relatively easy to get out. Just go slow and be sure that you get the new o-ring seated good on the housing before reassembling.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
This happened to me once. I put the boat in the water filled the tanks, boarded for a couple of hours, put the boat back on the trailer and the center locker tank was still full. Rear tanks did empty. Come to find out that after going over some large wakes at 25-30mph the wiring for the pumps came loose under the dash. It's probably not this, but wouldn't hurt to check. I'm sure you probably have.
Old     (grwoolf)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-27-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with my 02 x-star. Under warranty, my dealer channged the system to use relays and high-guage wire to a good power source rather than the small-guage that runs through the switches. This was after I proved to them if was a voltage drop issue. The smaller guage wire can't pull enough amps to get the motors spinning. If you want to test the theory, just get a set of jumper cables or large guage wire and you will see that the pump will never get stuck. MC did the easy thing by providing a very loose fitting impeller that doesn't get stuck as easily, but negatively affects the performance of the pump. The right fix (in my opinion) is to re-wire the boat with relays. I have not had a pump problem with the original impellers since making the change.