Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
I found this boat up for auction through a salvage site and I wanted some input on what you think it would be worth and also how well the damage could be repaired. The add doesn't describe how it happened but from the pictures the damage looks minimal. Here's the description

Additional Information:

Fiberglass Damage to Vessel is at the Front Portside Upper Cap of the Hull
All Mechanical is Operational
Engine Runs
Stereo Operational
Ballast System
Retractable Wake Board Tower
Bow Back Cusions Detached from Hull Sides @ Fiberglass Damage Area

Minimum bid is $15,000,
I don't know anything about this boat, any input?

Old    fiberglassman            11-17-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have had many inquiries about that boat here in the shop over the last month or so. Supposedly that boat had a beam land on it while it was in storage. It was totalled by the insurance company since the deck will have to be seperated from the hull for a proper fix based on the looks of that second picture. For some reason I can't figure out where that fourth picture is on the boat. From the second picture it looks it could easily be repaired but deck removeal is necessary most likely. On the insurance estimate it was inspected by a shop and quoted at $11,500 to do the repairs. You could probably fix it for a whole lot cheaper if you didn't mind future cracks in that area. If that was the case you wouldn't have to remove the deck, you could just repair it cosmetically if it's only damaged on the deck. The original estimate is dated 11/2003 though so that would make me worried that the boat has been sitting around for a while which usually doesn't do the engine any good.
Old    fiberglassman            11-17-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
Thought I would clarify that the insurance description states that the boat was damaged before delivery so it might not have any hours on it. The insurance notes are pretty shakey though and it depends on who filled out the stupid things.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Fiberglassman, that is some great info on the boat. I don't know how much the boat is worth with or with out that kind of damage. The fourth picture is located at in the bow on the right side. Obviously it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like to me that it's only cosmetic. If the shells of the boat have come apart I have had some experience with that. On my old boat the shells separated and I was able to use pop rivets to reattatch the shells.

The insurance company totaled the boat so it may be more extreme than it looks. From the shot on the inside of the boat I don't see any cracking in the structure. Am I wrong in thinking that it's mostly cosmetic?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
One thing that is funny is that on the site they have it listed as a 2005. Which it obviously is not. Even if you just look at the Tige website they changed quite abit and the tower is completely different.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-17-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
I thought that the 4th pic was behind the back side cushion behind the drivers seat

(Message edited by powdrhound on November 17, 2005)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
if that's the only damage, $11,500 in repairs is crazy - you could probably have it repaired AND put in a new engine for that.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-17-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
It IS a 2005 switch v with a non factory tower. I think that is a phat budde tower. We have an 04 switch V and you can tell that is an 05 because of the interior. Anyway, I have no idea about the cost to fix it, but brand new with those options that boat probably sold in the upper 30's.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
i'm pretty sure the 4th pic was taken standing in the walkthru looking at the port side of the bow. aren't those grabrail mount holes?
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-17-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
eazy fix, buy the boat
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-17-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ya, it looks like the grabrail is removed and the seatback of the interior has been flipped...

In the 6th picture down, you can see the seat back isn't fitted properly...
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-18-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
If I had a new boat and a beam got dropped on it I would want a new boat, not a repaired one (exactly the same as if the hull had a factory defect). That might be why the repair estimate was so high for damage that looks from the pictures to be cosmetic and not structural. Tige lays up more glass in their boats. Based on that and what I see in the pictures, I would doubt that the deck needs to be taken off to fix it right and make it look new again. The insurance company probably removed the grab rail and seat back to look for damage under the deck. If it was in my area I would buy it. Looks like an easy fix.
Old    fiberglassman            11-18-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm not even sure if I have the correct information on the boat since the form says it was damaged prior to delivery and the boat has #'s on it. Also the form is dated 11/2003 and some people think it's a 05, not an 04. I can tell you from the damage that I can see it would cost some good money to repair THE RIGHT WAY!} To do the repair correctly I would have to remove the deck from the hull so that I could repair the inside otherwise it would probably crack again. Removing the deck would be at least half the repair charge. You have to remember that about half the wiring is connected to the deck, the tower would have to come off as well as most of the interior.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-18-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
Not to mention some manufactures plexas there hull and deck together (not sure what pigeoncraft does) so you would need to cut the 2 in half looks way more than cosmetic to me OUCH

(Message edited by krbaugh on November 18, 2005)
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-18-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
That boat is easily an '05 based on the interior, and the fact that the Switch V wasn't built until '04.

Tige' Watersports on S. California contracts with Phat Budde for their towers instead of the Factory towers. They feel the tower is stronger and looks better. The trailer is also an Extreme Trailer who is contracted by Tige' Watersports and is a great trailer.

I suggest you call the service department at Tige' Watersports and ask them about the boat. They are VERY well run and great to work with. They know almost every boat ever shipped out of their doors over the last 15 years and try to make every customer feel like family. They would be a great resource, and will tell you what the damage is, and what would be the likely repair costs. Give them a shot, and see if they know about this boat. They will likely telll you if it can be fixed for $5k or less, you could have yourself a great deal. The 20V is the same hull, and throws a great wake for a smaller boat.

(951) 737-9801

Try to E mail them at service@tigewatersports.com

or - http://www.tigewatersports.com/

You can also talk with the guys at Tige' boats of Nevada. They are supposedly (I've never dealt with them) a great group to work with as well.

(Message edited by flackpack on November 18, 2005)
Old    mendo247            11-18-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
you really need to look at the boat in person! but from the picture it wouldnt be that hard to fix.. yeah if insurance was paying for it you would want the decks seperated but if i was doing it myself im sure it could be done without.. obivously fiberglass man knows what he talking about..to warranty the repair you would have to seperate the decks.. i tried to pick a couple boats up from this site and the ones i bid on seemed to go for a very high price.. from the fourth pic it looks like you might have a couple nice access holes to the backside of the cracks..if this is correct it might be an easy fix..fix the glass melt in some paint and go boardin!.. im sure its not that simple or someone would have grabbed this thing already.. this boat has been on this site for a few months now and might be a real good deal for the right person..
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-18-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
California registration on both boat and trailer...it had to have been delivered to the customer.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-20-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
whoever gets this or knows someone that does should post winning bid price so us poor saps that put the minimum bid price would know how short we were
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-20-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
I think everyone should listen to fiberglassman on this one. At the VERY LEAST you would need to pop a mold of that whole section off another 20v and create a whole new fiberglass part/that section of the bow, that extends further forward and backward of the actual damage, glass/mold that in with alot of glass and then that isn't even completely the right way in my opinion because of how much a wakeboard boat takes a beating through rollers on DUPs etc. If I were you, I would stear clear, you can find a used switch V for 10-12 grand more and have piece of mind that it isn't a salvage boat number one, and who cares about engine hours, engine hours pale in comparison to structural damage and hull integrity...everyone also needs to remember, pulling one of these boats apart and putting it back together is more than "pop rivets" The floor, hullsides, deck, all that are one piece on these boats, tons of work to do it the right way so the boat is as strong/stronger in the future...

just my .02
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-20-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
i think the starting bid is too high
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-21-2005, 6:04 AM Reply   
I have questions
I know the boat has the 05 interior and Tige did not start making that until early 2004.
So how could the boat get damaged on 11/2003?

My boat has a completion date of 12/15/03 and I have a Switch-V 2004

If the boat is a 04, (which the repair date would suggest), then why did the all the interior need to be replaced.

And how many insurance companies will pay out 30k if the repair is only going to cost 11.5k

I think we are missing something, or this is a different boat.

Just my thoughts
David

Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-21-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Just another note,
The boat is a 2005.
In 2005 Tige made the cup holders white. In 2004 the cup holder were black.
And if look at photo #4, it looks like the boat has already been cut into two.
On my boat that is a solid piece of white fiberglass not two.
(It goes from the rail all the way down to the floor.)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-21-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
I dont see where you see a cut, that a is a rope that runs from the bow to the stern, you can see it in like the first pic I think... no cuts made yet
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-21-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Duane
You’re correct.
What I thought was a cut, is the rub rail that has been taken off.
Old     (openwydr)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-21-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Bidding was at 19,200 earlier today. There were 12 people bidding on it then. I gracefully bowed out at that point. Hopefully someone will be able to tell us what they got it for and how muh work it will really need.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-21-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
I hope everyone that is bidding on it has either atleast taken the time to inspect it themselves or has hired a marine surveyor to check it out!

yea good call on the rubrail, thats what it is haha
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-22-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
i bowed out when it was at 18400. i am suprised that when an auction says end date of nov 19th that they can turn around and calll bidders on the 21st to bid it up. new bidding process to me.