Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Took about 3 nights of work but the ballast install is done...for now. Everything fills and drains with no leaks. Running 2 Jabscos filling 2 400's up front and 2 260's in the rear. Added about 300 in sand bags in the ski locker as well. With a little trim the wake was a thing of beauty. Big, rampy, and intimidating.

Only hitch is the filling. I know, I know, should have just drilled the thru hull. Instead I T'ed into the raw water intake (1 1/4") and then T'ed that to each pump. Not enough water to keep both pumps running. Took way too long to fill.

So gonna go with 2 1" dedicated intakes, one for each pump so there is plenty of water available. It was worth a try.

Rest of the install went great, just need to make a different source. So I will be ordering a couple 1" bronze thru hulls and getting some bronze shutoff valves, then getting back to work.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-18-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Nice. Got any pics?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Yep, pics show raw water intake and subsequent manifold, pics of front bags and vent, rear bags with vent ans bypass so draining water goes out rear vents, pump setup showing each pump inlet and outlet T'ed, switch install, and final pic of wake at about 21mph.

The whole center cention including the T from the raw water inatke and the T to each pump is going to be removed, followed by 2 1" thru hulls on the bottom so each pump has its own intake.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
moreUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Question about thru hulls....

Looking to use bronze 1" thru hull and place a bronze ball valve on top, then run hose to the pump. Thru hulls are NPS (straight thread) and ball valves are NPT. Is this a big concern? Should I be using a true seacock where both ends are NPS threads? Is there anyone that makes a ball valve with NPS threads? Am I making a big deal over a minor detail?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-18-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Not bad for an I/O! :-)

Whats the boat?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
2001 Cobalt 226
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
Any ideas on the thru hull?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-18-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
It's really how much it means to you as far as safety. There are plenty of people on here who have NPS with NPT. You just won't be getting that much thread grip. You can use PVC which will allow you to get a little more but then your using PVC which some people would argue against as well. I have seen where some people will file the first couple of thread on the thru-hull at an angle to try and get more thread grip. That in itself though is also not as good as a true seacock.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
But if I mix threads, will it leak or is it a relatively solid connection? Lots of thread tape or lots of 5200 or both? Not too keen on mixing threads, but I am sure its a popular move rather than dropping bigger bucks on true seacocks.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-19-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
What about this adapter....

http://www.bayareabiodieselsupply.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=84
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-19-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
There ya go!