Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
Heading to Kauai on Friday! It's been dumping rain here in the NW for 2 weeks straight so I'm itchin' to ride. Is anybody there? I'd love to get a pull when we're there. Also, anybody ever tried kiteboarding there? any "must dos" for the kauai trip?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-03-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Contact Keith (Hawaiinstilin) on this forum. If you can't find his name he has been posting on the 'AZ riders get organised' thread on find a third/be a third'.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-03-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Check out Ke'e Beach on the North side. Maybe do a little sea kayaking if the swells are small and check out the Na Pali coast, breathtaking. Play golf at Princeville if you can afford it :-D Thats my goal for our next trip there.

Oh yeah, if you're near Poipu hit up the Tidepools restaurant at the Hyatt hotel for dinner. The atmosphere is awesome. Entire place is built suspended over Koi ponds. We really enjoyed it

I'm jealous! Have fun, its a great, low-key place to vacation.
Old     (ceres1312)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-03-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
If you love hot dogs go to Puka Dogs on the south shore of Poi Pu. You will not be dissapointed, the best I have ever had!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-03-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
There is some of the best golf in the WORLD on Kauai...
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Kauai must do's

Napali coast boat ride - holo holo charters if staying on south side and UFO if staying on north shore.

Wakeboard wailua river - kenny 808 822 3574

Kiteboard lessons - keith 808 635 4341

Swim the "blueroom" just before ke'e beach

Powered hang glider flights - jerry at birds in paradise 808 652 9329

Eat fish tacos at anini beach - bar 639-shak

Eat at kintaros in wailea - best food on island!

Hike to hanakapia on napali coast

Go to kipu falls and swing on rope swing

Drive waimea canyon all the way to kalalau beach

Eat at baracuda in hanalei

Sorry to be so vague... Hate typing on pdf.

Email me at ryan@puremaui.com for more ideas.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-04-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
Ryan pretty much has it covered except for the golf.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
I was dying to ride the river when I was there but the wife threatened to shoot me if I brought up wakeboarding during our honeymoon. Second the Tidepools restaurant. Extremely cool. The Hyatt also has an awesome buffet breakfast. We stayed there for a week, and loved every minute of it.

(Message edited by Seattle on October 04, 2007)
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I would agree with Ryan as well. Only thing that I'd add is eating at the Hanalei Gourmet...whatever the special is that night will blow your mind. As for riding on the Wailua, I haven't ridden in a more beautiful spot. Kenny will definitely take care of you out there. Some pics...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-04-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Contact Kenny at 808-639-2829 he's the only one that has a permit to ride the river.
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-04-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Hey I just moved here to Kapaa, Kauai, not too long ago. I haven't ridden with Kenny yet but actually just stopped by his shop yesterday and talked with his wife. Let me know if you want to go, maybe we can split the time, and I might be able to get the kama-aina discount. Oh, and another must do is go check out Poulihale beach on the west side, and make sure to stay for the sunset.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
thanks all! T minus 22 hours and I'm on the plane. Looking forward to it for sure.

aaron, whats your number? I'll hit you up and maybe we can ride next week sometime. I've got my whole fam on this trip (wife, kids, parents, brothers, etc), but probably only me and my brother will want to ride.

Ryan, impressive list. Looks like you've been there a couple of times. I'm definitely down for some good for good food so I'll check out the places you recommended. ...and I'm always down for a good ropeswing, where is that exactly?

Adam, Tidepools sounds pretty cool. I know the kids would love it.

I'll be checking this again, so if you think of anything else to do...let me know.

thanks
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-04-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-04-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
Jeremy, my cell is 608-698-1980. Where are you staying? Figure out what would be the best time to go and hopefully we can figure something out. Also, I suggest getting the "Ulitimate Kauai Guidebook" or something like that. It has tons of great ideas and really good directions to lot's of cool places.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-04-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
wow, that is sweet Ryan. I'm going there on Sunday.

Staying in Waiula at the mouth of the river.

Man i'm so pumped. I'll post some pics (just bought a new SLR) and we will have our laptop...unfortunately
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-04-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Jeremy, Ryan is a native of Kauai, and if you didn't already know, was one of the top pro riders on tour a few years back.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-04-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Mahalo Ryan... Tell Reid I said Aloha!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-04-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
No worries Ryan, will do.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
The comments below are based on my experience from my trip to the Kauai wakeboarding setup with Kenny this past early august. Take them for what they are, I just want to share my experience so that you dont go there expecting something that its not. I personally expected a bit more as you will read below.

Make sure and ask Kenny to turn the perfect pass on, or at least hold speed. I think he was trying to make his wake as big as possible by going slow. (I would have personally enjoyed the proper speed I pull at with a smaller wake, than getting drug around with a bigger wake). When I asked to speed up from what felt like was 22-23, I think he decided I must want skier speeds and put me around 28-29, then back to 22. After asking a few more times I gave up and accepted it for what it was.

When I called and made reservations I inquired about bringing my board setup. The chick said "dont worry, we have all the newest gear to choose from". Apparently that meant you got to choose between either a 07 liquid force team or an 06 substance and either a set of large boots or XL boots. The vest they had didnt fit me either. I am about 5'9" at 170 and ended up wearing the womens vest since it fit the best, lol.

Overall I look at the wakeboarding setup as paying to ride behind a decent boat with little weight and poor board selection in amazing conditions. Something I would probably do again in that situation; but maybe give him a specific speed to pull me at and ask for perfect pass. I think I paid 75 bucks for 30 mins straight, which isnt bad I guess given the location.

The only reason I say these things is becuase I personally expected more. Not so much in the area of a big wake, but in equipment selection (as told on the phone) and the ability to be pulled at my desired speed.

Ohh yah, earlier is better, that way you dont have many kayakers and other boat traffic. Usually after 3-4 pm some locals come out and ski, kneeboard, tube, etc.

Here are a few pics taken by my GF, who had never even used an SLR, let alone a DSLR until that day. lol. they turned out pretty decent considering the conditions.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-05-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Kenny has just stepped it up with an 08 Malibu V-drive. The wake is a lot better than his old response.

As far as speed, Kenny is probably better than perfect pass. He's been driving tournament boats since before we were born. Maybe he was distracted by your hot girlfriend!?!
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
does Kenny have a website?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Ryan, that could be very true. lol.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-07-2007, 12:06 AM Reply   
hey ryan,

any places to cliff jump around here? I was here about 9 years ago, me and my wife hiked down to a hidden waterfall, but we can't remember where it is located any ideas? I think the falls were on the list for a viewing attraction, but we ended up hiking down and were the only ones in this "pond" where the waterfall was falling.

Beautiful Island! Trying to convince my wife that we should stay for a couple of years...but this rain isn't helping any
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-07-2007, 12:13 AM Reply   
aaron,

still hopin' to ride next week. we're staying in princeville. i'm on vacation so my schedule is open, what's your schedule? when can you ride?

ryan, one more thing..."blue room" is that a marked area to swim or do I need to find it? Also, any tips for seeing or swimming the napali coast without having to do the boat tours? can you hike there or kayak maybe?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Have to run out the door right now...

Tons of jumps.. try lumahai beach if the swells down.

Blue room you'll have to find. just pass the cold pond before the end of the road...

DO NOT SWIM THE NAPALI!!! YOU WILL DIE>>>
hike to hanakapia (2 miles) you'll experience it just fine...

I'll update later...
peace
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-08-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
alright, Im in Kauai right now. First day here had a good time. Still hoping to hook up for some surf lessons. (we watched some people surfing on a beach that I can't remember the name of just north of Kapa'a) a little more than I think I should bite off at first. Were going to head up to hanalei bay for some lesson but the waves were pretty small today (there)

How's the Po'ipu area for beginnerish types?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-09-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
i went out in 2004

http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=240

go to vons and get some ahi poke, mmmm!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-09-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Try Rock Quarries for begginer surfing. Poipu's to reefy...
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-10-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan, how about right out front of poipu beach hotel? or cow's head and butt. Does Acid Drops still break?
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-13-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
We spent the day surfing at hanelai bay, it was great for beginners (sandy bottom unlike Poipu) We went for dinner and drinks at Baracuda...it was expensive but pretty good.

tomorrow we leave for Oahu, nobody come to Kauai it sucks
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-13-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
ryan. i know youve been outta the game for a while but do you still ride at all? if so lets see some recent pics. being a taller rider you are one of the guys that i used to look up to being able to ride the way you did.
Old     (indy52)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-14-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Props to Ryan, he is the man!
He and his family are a big part of the reason we are moving there next year!