Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
I have been doing quite a bit of boat shopping for the last year and cannot make up my mind. I have ordered an 08 Moomba LSV but my local Malibu dealer keeps telling me he can get me into a V-ride for the same money. I have looked at the VTX as well and like it a lot. The other option would be the Supra 21 V. We still rec ski but would like to have the option to surf this summer. My head is spinning! I need some help deciding before my wife shoots me! New with full warranty versus 1 year old with 2 years left. The only variable would be the warranty? Moomba has increased their warranty to 4 years for 08. How often do you run into warranty issues? I know I am asking a lot but I could really use some help.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-13-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
How are you going to change your mind when you already ordered one?

That said go with the malibu if you can change, warranty 3 to 4 years isnt a huge difference as long as you take care of it.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have a refundable deposit. The agreement was based upon the trade of my current boat. If they don't give me what I want for it the deal is done.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-13-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Have you looked at mastercraft? Check out the X2 awesome boat
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
go with your heart and a good dealer... you will beat yourself up over this for a long time and everyone else's opinions are really just going to push you in more directions....
tough call, but go with your heart and really critique the dealers and see that they are going to treat you well after the sale.... or you could always jump in your truck and buy that badass black boat you saw down in portland....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-13-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
rG,

Since when does an X2 fall into the price range he is looking at?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
^^^Good point, never.....

If strictly surfing's your deal now, look into a used enzo. You should be able to find a deal this winter on one. That's the only boat out there that will throw the monster wave you crave without having the entire inside, and storage compartments of the boat filled with fatsacs, and stay within your budget. That sucks if you have people on board.

Haven't seen the surf wake behind the Moomba XLV, anyone have pics?
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
I would suggest you test drive them all. I like everything about the V-ride and was determined to buy one until a test drove it. I couldn't get it to plane off and it was small inside. Then I was ready to buy a new 2006 Moomba LSV but then I stumbled across a slightly used (60 hrs.) Supra 20 SSV for less than $2000 more than the Moomba. I went with the extra bling, lots more options and stronger tower of the Supra. The Supra performed better in the water.
Old     (chefwong)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-13-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
Depends on what your looking for personaly I think that malibu is the most comfertable ride, thay are really nice boats. BUT when it comes to the wake I would take a moomba or supra wake over a malibu wake any day of the week. Moomba and supra both offer the wake plate which offers alot more wake shaping ability than the wedge. The wedge is a great tool if your a multi-sport person, you can go out skiing and instantly switch to a big wake for wakeboarding. but malibu's wakes are best with just weight. It seems you can get alot more boat in a moomba than a malibu, I'd rather drop some chrome and add some footage to my boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Your post seems to contradict itself. You're saying you prefer the malibu wake without wedge=rampy wake. But the moomba wake is better because of the wakeplate. The moomba wake is a more verticle wake. Have you ridden a Bu with the wedge down?

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on November 13, 2007)
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-13-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
If you have a Centurion dealer near you, an '07 Enzo SV216 or '08 SV220 (same boat, just rounded up 21'8" length to 220 in the nomenclature for '08) looks like a boat that would fit your needs. It has a flatter hull than other Enzo's to satisfy the rec skier's preferences (make sure you get the powered wakeplate), and as was stated above, the Enzo's surf wake can't be beat (make sure you maximize the ballasts, or plan on adding some weight to your surf side post purchase). My $.02.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Hey trent sorry dude disregard my enzo post, I posted that in the wrong thread.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
My local Centurion dealer does not have a good rep at all. The Malibu guys have an excellent reputation and some buddies have several Malibu platforms, Response LX, V-ride, LSV and an XTI. I ruled out the XTI because I like the seating in the V-drives better. The LSV was nice but was basically unskiable (not sure if that is a proper word). The unfortunate thing is that we are getting snow at times already so test driving is out of the picture until spring. I really like the looks of the Supra's and the Malibu's. I am sure that we would be happy with the Moomba, as I said earlier it is a big jump from an I/O to a tournament boat.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Friends of mine have an 03 VLX or basically the v-ride hull. They occasionally ski and barefoot behind the boat without any issues. My family only wakeboards and it is pretty interesting to see how the wake takes shape as we go from no ballast to about 2200 lbs. I would also add I never have had a problem getting my boat on plane and I only have the 320hp motor. I also looked at a 20SSV and just preferred the v-ride wake and handling.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-14-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
trent,
i have an xlv and love it. i really like the looks of the boat, it runs and handles great. it throws a huge wake and can be calmed down with the wake plate. i have ridden behind the mobius lsv and is a very similar wake. moomba are an amazing boat especially for the money, the tower is very sturdy and strong, you can easily upgrade the ballast, you could go up to the 1150 center sack and 750's in the lockers. although you won't be able to fill them clear full you will get a lot more out of the used areas. the fit and finish is there on moombas, so if its the mobius lsv you have ordered i have no doubt that you will be 100% satisfied and happy that you didn't waste all of the extra money on a chrome dash because thats about the only extra in the other boats. but the supras are really nice too and a good price but to me it wouldn't be worth the money to have to drop to the 20ssv to get the same price
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
^^^^

Cody I used to think the same thing, go spend time in one of the "other" boats and you'll understand.
Old    lakeside5_10            11-14-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
i have some vid. on myspace look on my profile page
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-14-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Trent, pay some real close attention to the price. There is such a big difference in the $ over the last 9 months that may not have filtered down yet. You should be able to buy an '08 for less than the dealers cost on an '07.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-14-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Art I sent you a private message. I thought this would be a great way to help me make a decison and also make for a little bit of owner pride show through.
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       11-14-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
I road behind a moomba once and thought it was terrible.... then I found someone else with another V drive moomba and rode behind that one.... yup same thought... terrible, plus the fact I thought the tower was going to rattle right off the boat. There are only 3 boats to buy... in my opionion - Mastercraft - Nautique - Malibu (1996+)

all the others haven't been around as long as theses guys have... they've put their time in and have the best resale hands down!! the top 2 especially!

what's your price range? I picked up a 06 X1 for 37k... all decked out with every option that I would want... 2200 lbs of ballast, and I have it set-up for a perfect surf wake..... unload my Starboard ballast and all set...

I would go back to a 2003 - or even a 2001 X-star before I would go with a new Moomba...

just my two cents...
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-14-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
I agree with nu bu, I used to own a moomba till I started riding behind a malibu.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
I'm no surfer, but can appreciate a wake with a nice ramp and a bit of an edge at the top..... easy target for me to launch the SkySki off of.

Anyone who "can't get a vRide to plane" either doesn't know how to drive or is driving a boat that has been incapacitated somehow. I have the 340 horse Monsoon in mine & it'll about rip the rope out of your hands on launch. It planes out in a matter of seconds, even with my 230 lb ass back there. Fill it with 900 lbs of hidden ballast & the wake is nice, not huge, but a good start if you want to add more ballast or use the Wedge.

Plus Malibu has the strongest tower under the sun. My Titan II is loaded with over 170 lbs in speakers & foils, and it's still WAY more stable than ANYTHING Mastercraft has dreamed up.

And best of all, you can easily get a 1 or 2 yr old vRide (which BTW is the old VLX) for under $40k. It'll still have a year or two left on the engine warranty & the lifetime hull warranty is tranferable to the 2nd owner.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on November 14, 2007)
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-14-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I went from a moomba mobius v to a Malibu. The wake and tower are nicer on the malibu but if you aren't die hard wakeboarder a moomba is the best bang for the buck. my 2 cents
Old     (raspy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
OK so i just had an 05 lSV and got into a 05 VLX. Mobius is for SURE a sick boat for the money you pay. Throws very very steep wakes and all around is a good boat. The VLX throws nice rampy wakes and is the king of wakeboard boats in my mind. ALSO my 2 cents
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       11-16-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/519836.html?1195230869
Trent, this is a long drive, looks like a sweet deal!
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-16-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
RJ. Sent you a PM. Check it out.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       11-16-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Trent, very nice, close to home, good deal.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote diggs:

go with your heart and a good dealer... you will beat yourself up over this for a long time and everyone else's opinions are really just going to push you in more directions....
tough call, but go with your heart and really critique the dealers and see that they are going to treat you well after the sale.... or you could always jump in your truck and buy that badass black boat you saw down in portland....

Well said expect that he should buy the even more bad ass white and black one I have an avoid all the maintenance that all black comes with, lol
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-20-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
This is always a tough one especially if you are not in the industry or have any real information to go on. I've owned 6 MC's, 6 Nautiques, and 1 Malibu.

Saying this delicately, there are 3 major manufacturers (for various reasons of how they market themselves, name brand, longevity, pro rider choices, quality, etc.). These are Correct Craft, MasterCraft, Malibu. I would call this the first tier of wakeboard boats; again, for various reasons. People usually don't buy outside of these 3 for quality reasons or name brand recognition, it's usually (well...always) price.

But this does not mean there are not other quality products out there, especially for the price. Supra being one that is super-legit and a great bang for the buck. (Other than the fat sac thing they need to turn into real tanks, if they haven't already.) Centurion is another one that has a great value.

Before you buy, I would consider how much you really intend to use a new boat - a lot or a little - are you a weekend warrior or will you be out 5+ days a week; what you will be doing (wake, surf, skate, other); how many people you normally take with you; how advanced are your riders; how long you plan to keep it(resale); and are you paying cash or financing it.

Then consider the brands and models you like, and TEST DRIVE them. Once you have decided on the boat(s), get it LOADED with options just the way you want it. Special order if they don't have what you want (colors and engine), but get EXACTLY what you want, right down to the colors of the carpet and the piping on the seats.

Money no object, check out the first tier, because they are the 1st tier for a reason. If money is an object, look at the next price-friendly tier of boats or a used 1st tier boat. (Example, we sell our camp boats each year because students want to ride the newest thing each season. They are perfect and still under warranty. Others do the same so the deals are out there.)

Having said all of that, this is just my little opinion which means nothing in the big picture. Bryan said it best just above.

The only thing I would request is that you don't do powerturns or pull tubers anywhere near others.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-20-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
That's the best advice going...

The only issue is that where we live a Supra 22SSV is as much or more as a Malibu VLX... So it is considered a 1st tier boat. I am under the opinion that I would rather buy a slightly used 1st tier boat than a brand new 2nd tier boat for the same or slightly more money. When you are spending 50K on a boat what's 53K when the resale alone is going to make you that in the end.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-20-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
All this advice is great. I am sure that the decision we make will be the best for me and my family. As a cost conscious buyer the price always comes into play. Bryan if I was in the market for a 22ssv that is one of the baddest one's out there! Steve thanks for the honest opinions. You sound like my wife, I guess she knows more about me than I thought! RPenner the resale value is a great thing to keep in mind. Keep all the advice coming. I will keep you all posted when I finally have a boat.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-20-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
There is definitely no rush as we have over an inch of snow and it isn't slowing down as of yet.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-21-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
....check out this 21v

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/483666484.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-21-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
dang that is a good price. Wish I was in the market.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-23-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I missed out on an 06 21v that looked like new from Boise, Idaho earlier this year. The guy was asking $38,500. I even talked to the service manager at the dealership where it was sitting. The boat and trailer were not owned outright yet. If I knew then what I know now I would have just dealt with the red tape and bought it.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
All right the decision has been finalized. I just bough a 2007 Malibu VTX. It is going to be a long long winter.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-09-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Right on Trent,
Let's see some pics...
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
I don't have any good ones yet but I will post what I have.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
And 3 more.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-09-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
Nice choice you're gonna love it, congrats on the new addition to the family.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
We sure hope so. The guy that we had ordered the Moomba through was awesome. IF anyone in Calgary wants a Supra or Moomba or any gear call Trevor at Mobius Marine. I can't say enough about him and the way he treated me. If we didn't fall in love with this boat on the lot we would have stuck with the 08 Moomba LSV.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-09-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
.......congrats..very nice.....scary thing is I know it looks even better in person!!......Merry Christmas!!!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Looks great Trent.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Michael, you are absolutely right. The pictures are not very good. It had not even been cleaned yet. The boat only has 23 hours on it.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       12-09-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Trent, sweet, congrats, lets hope for an early spring, i'll try and bum a ride at Cow!
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
Sounds good RJ. I will be at Nordegg tues and wednesday.