Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    whitechocolate            08-06-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
The Mono (single) Leaf spring's that came on my DHM trailer standard broke this weekend (the 2 rear leaf's on my tandam axel trailer). My trailer is 2 year's old and in no way should they have broken this soon. I don't tow with weight or Jump my boat & trailer ect, I even had a Extra because a friend with the same boat/trailer had recomended a spair because one had broken on him leaving him at the side of the road for Hrs. I up-graded all 4 leaf's from the Single Leaf to the tripple leaf that cost $200 at a local trailer suply store. This jacked up my trailer about 1 inc. But it seems to tow nice.

On Monday when DHM was open they said sorry, and they gave me the Ph # of the company that make's the Leaf springs he said there was a older Recall on the single leaf spring's????? I had never heard that?. The company that makes the Leaf's was nice and said that they would send me out 2 New up-graded tripple leaf spring's. Free"( I guess I will use them as spairs Just in case!

You Might want to check your leaf's before the next time you head out My'n broke right in the center of the Leaf where you couldn't see any type of crack starting ect. So I dont know how your going to check??

The first photo is of a "NEW Un Broken Mono Leaf"
The second is of the New Installed Tripple Leaf's you can see how the tripple leafs would take the load much better.

Take a look at your leaf's my'n broke right in the center where the centering bolt goes threw.

Let me tell you Doing this Job is a "Black Whore"
all the "u bolts" have there threads powder coated Black, (woop's) This makes taking them off a Beeeeotch. You need some serious tool's for this job. Big wrenches and deep impact sockets. My friend had a Impact driver and this was still was still hard, We were VERY LUCKY we made it all the way to the lake and after we launched the boat we discoverd that the Leaf's were 99% broken, They haden't fully let go just yet a few more miles and it would have been all over, With the boat off the trailer and in the water and a clean well lit place to work on the trailer it made it much easyer to change the Leaf's. I couldn't imagine having to do this job on the side of the road with the boat on the trailer. Doing this job makes a flat tire with no spair stuck on the side of the road a walk in the park.
Old    matteo            08-06-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
Even though you upgraded to the triple springs, still be sure to keep an eye on them!!!
I have been through three leaf spring packs in the last 5 years. I have a Ski Nautique with a double axle trailer, no extra weight. This is a small boat for the trailer, but it still breaks springs now and then. The triple leaf springs will break right in the middle like the picture above shows.
I do put a lot of miles on my trailer as all the good lakes are many hours of driving away.
Old    whitechocolate            08-06-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
Mateo What Kind of Leaf spring packs are you going with. The ones that came on the trailer I think are call Unique Function Products or UFP for short

UFP said that if the U-bolts are not tight they will and can caue the spring's to break. I say BS my u-bolts were very tight.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
Grant, does your trailer still bounce like crazy?
Old    whitechocolate            08-06-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
No I think it ride's Smoother, Even though it has 2 more springs than the stock, The new ones are thinner, So I think the springs move easyer and stop it from bouncing as much
Old    gotpwr            08-06-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your spring problems. When I first got my trailer I wasn't too sure about the rubber torsion axles, but after three years of trouble free service and hearing about all the issues with leaf springs, I'm glad I have them. Here's a picture and link with information on the rubber torsion axles if anyone is interested.
Rubber Torsion Axle
http://www.prestigetrailers.com/axles.htm
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
Can you post the contact information for the spring manufacturer? Thanks
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-07-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
IMO: Never take delivery of a new boat with mono leaf springs or Carlise tires. These problems have been out there for years on all types of trailers.
Old    whitechocolate            08-07-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
Jan

Here is the information of the Mono Leaf spring Manafacturer for the DHM trailer's the # is 1 800 854 1905 they guy 's name is Lynn he is the head of return's you will need your Vin # off your trailer
Hope that helps

P.S he said the recall was over in 2001 and that he was just being a nice guy and sending me a Pair so good luck.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Grant, I am going to take a look at the VIN on my trailer and do some preventative investigation before I am stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
Old    matteo            08-07-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Grant, I don't know what brand the leaf springs where, I just pick them up as needed from the local trailer supply store.

Dan, that sure is a pretty pink trailer you got there

Old    whitechocolate            08-07-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
When I orderd my springs They seem to be a Some what standard spring. I got my'n from a place called (The Trailer Hitch) in Redwood city Ca they were like 27 inches eye to eye. And the U bolts were 2 inc across and 3inc high all standard part's
Old    tommyadrian5            08-12-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
here is the recall info for mastercraft trailers, don't know if it helps but anyone with an MC trailer should probably check it out.

Mastercraft Boat Company

Models: Mastercraft A1 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft A9 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft B2 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft B3 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft B5 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft B8 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft C3 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft C6 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft C7 Years: 1999-2000

Mastercraft C8 Years: 1999-2000

Number Involved: 3,656

Defect: On certain boat trailers equipped with NHK Intex Corporation monoleaf boat trailer springs, while the motorist is pulling the boat trailer, the monoleaf spring on the trailer could break. This could cause the driver to lose control of the trailer and vehicle.

Remedy: Dealers will replace all affected monoleaf springs. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during August 2002. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mastercraft at 1-800-443-8774.

[NHTSA Recall No. 02V172]
Old    whitechocolate            08-12-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
If Any One is Intrested? Here are the springs that I got to replace my "Broken Single MONO leaf springs". The replacment spring's they sent me a 4 Leaf. The Ones that I bought to replace my Broken Mono Leaf's are 3 leaf I was going to use these as Spair's but I dont want to have 2 diffrent kind's Ill sell thses $100 I payed $220
for all 4 of my'n
Old    whitechocolate            08-12-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
Here are the "4" Leaf
Old    swpmwinc            08-13-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Grant please send me an e-mail I am interested my trailer is also a DHM with single springs I am towing a Cal Air Pro V not a light boat. I have allways been leary about the single spring
Thanks Sean
Old    hyperryd            08-16-2003, 10:07 PM Reply   
You know it might be the extra 1000 lbs of stereo system that broke them. Nahhh!