Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-14-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
So earlier I had posted about being on the job hunt... I have three different 3rd interviews this week.

I'll have my degree in Manufacturing Engineering - 1.5/2 years relevant experience for all the jobs
All jobs are in the same general area - cost of living not an issue/different

One job is for Manufacturing Engineer, one is Quality Engineer, and one is Production Supervisor.

... my problem is I have NO EFFIN' clue on how to go about asking for/ accepting an offer of a certain salary.

I've looked at averages for new grads for my major, these jobs averages on salary.com, but I feel like there is a lot more I'm missing.

I don't want to burn a bridge by asking too much, I don't want to get lowballed, and I don't want to shortchange myself.

Any help would be great,
Thanks much!
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
I'm an engineering recruiter and negotiate salaries, offers ect.. on a weekly basis. The key to your salary is going to be in the industry the company is in not the title. An ME in a medical company is on average going to make about 10-15% more then say an industrial company. So find the average for the particalur ME, QE, Supervisor in the companies industry. That will give you a good starting point.

If they ask present the average and be realistic. Yes you have 1.5 years experience but the market is tuff right now, I'm guessing you are up against candidates with more experience and probably experience within the specific industry who are willing to work for the same rate as you. Make yourself cheaper and trainable to give you an advantage, then ask in writing for a performance review in 6 months, if you are performing you can ask for a bump then.

Another negotiating point is vacation, you'll probably be offered 2 weeks, if you feel the salary offered is on the low end ask for 2 weeks and 2 days, it doesn't cost the company more money to give you a couple extra days off. Well it does but it looks different on the P&L vs. salary.

I'm happy to give you more tips via the phone, email me your contact information and we can set up a conversation. jasonjsmith@me.com
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-16-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
Nick - Jason is in Minneapolis and a great resource.. Give him a call - cool guy and very helpful.