Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-28-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
anyone ride behind one of these what are the pros and cons of owning one.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-29-2014, 6:18 AM Reply   
From what I've heard the motor was great but parts are hard to find anymore
Old     (LouZahr)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2014, 6:23 AM Reply   
I had a 2001 Toyota X22. It was the direct drive and was a great boat. The engineering of the boat was fantastic. The engine was great and easy to work on.
From a riding stand point at that time in my life I was wakeboarding and it had a very mellow wave. I never tried to sac it out, I just used the stock trunk sac. I would have to charge it hard to get good air. After riding behind it for a summer I rode behind a 2002 SAN and was blown away with the ramp it threw compared to the epic.
Tried surfing it once in 2004 but did not know enough about how to set it up to get a wave.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
John, i don't mean this to be a jerk or anything and I actually like that you are asking lots of questions but I think it might be about time to stick to one "Padawaan's boat search" thread and keep all the questions in there.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-29-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
Brett, I seem to get more responses if I start a new thread for each question as apposed to asking new ones in the same thread and most of these boats are going so fast right now I need answers and you guys have know this stuff.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-29-2014, 10:10 PM Reply   
There is a lot to learn through searching the forum too. With the used boat sales peaking at the end of the season, I would suggest re-iterating your budget and requirements and ask if the forum members can help fine tune your needs and an appropriate boat that matches those needs. You can easily find used boats right now through the end of the year. Try to get to a "top 5" in models & years and then keep your eye on the ball.

You seem to jump from boat to boat in your search with only a worry about budget, as if the most important thing is just to HAVE a boat. While that is important, it appears that you run into other "issues" with the boats you are looking at and quickly jump ship to another boat up for sale that has not yet been mentioned. You need to establish your needs vs. your wants. Understand what you are flexible with as far as options go and then dial in your search for THAT boat. While we all search for the best deal, sometimes the best deal isn't the best priced boat, but the best boat for your needs. Don't settle for less or you will be unhappy and repeat this exercise in a year.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-30-2014, 3:35 AM Reply   
Well Said Clarke... Id agree
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-30-2014, 5:26 AM Reply   
I agree..the OP needs to figure out what he is looking for. I've now seen a 2000 SAN 210(smallish 21), 06 X1(smallish 21), 2000 Mobuis V(big 23), VLX(larger 21), and this Toyota(22 Direct Drive).

OP needs to figure out what his priorities are and what exactly he is looking for in a boat. Like said above if you buy a boat based on price tag you may very well end up with a boat that doesn't suit you and your not happy with. Then your trying to sell said boat next year without losing money and starting the search all over again. Many of us have done that, but with as much questioning as your doing you could avoid it if you start asking the right questions.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-02-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
one of my problems is no one where I live wakeboards or surfs , Ive never even seen it done so its hard to know what I want or need. in 8 years at the lake, Ive seen one wakeboard boat and that was last summer and that got me to thinking about stepping up from the 69 glasspar. going to the lake is the only thing I can get my family to do together. so I bought a wakeboard ,watched a few how to videos on you tube then hit the lake and my son loved it. wakesurfing came up when I was talking to the guy I was going to buy the Calabria from, that's all he talked about. I literally was on my way with a money order in hand when he pulled out of the deal but that got me to thinking about surfing it was then I realized that not all boats were good at both and there are so many designs out there my head spins so its faster and more accurate to ask you guys then to try and figure it out for myself. ive been told most people buy the wrong boat the first time out, im usually that guy. ive got two drift boats because I got the wrong one the first time out now im trying to sell the first one I bought. im trying hard not to be that guy with this endeavor. I see a boat for sale and want to ask your opinion before I make a mistake because someone on this sight owns one and or has ridden behind one and I trust that information way more that someone trying to sell me something. I didn't know like RB says that a 2000 san was a smallish 21 or a Mobius v was a big 23 so I ask.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-02-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Tell us your requirements.

What size? (How big is your family, do you have lots of interested friends)
Which sport is more important to you?
What is your budget?
Does high/low freeboard concern you?
Do you mind manual filling fat sacks?
How much can you tow?
What is more important, fit and finish quality or the age of a boat?

When I finally re-entered the boat buying market, I simply went to onlyinboards.com and searched for boats within my budget. When I found a boat I liked, I Google it for more specs and/or searched this site for more info. If you start straight up asking questions, you are going to have your opinion formed for you within 3 responses. There is TONS of info buried in years of threads here. Don't let so few people quickly make up your mind for you.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-02-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
John, where do you live? I had the same problem when I bought my boat. I only ever saw 1 other wake boat on the lake. My brother-in-law bought a 05' Moomba XLV and I road behind it on inland lakes and it was great. He then brought it to lake Erie and it road so rough I knew I needed to find something with a deep V. you do need to narrow your search.
1. what size or is size important (better ask your wife, I knew I wanted 22-23)
2. direct drive or V (for me there was no question I liked the layout of a V-drive much better)
3. deep V or flatter bottom (inland smaller lake not as important, bigger lake very important to me)
4. speed control ( again to me it had to have speed control)
5. condition of hull and interior (this could or should be higher on the list but unless it was completely trashed I was ok with it. if your handy money can be saved by buying a boat that just needs wet sanded down and buffed, like wise you can always recover the seats)
those where MY top 5 things, less important to me
6. motor brand (I think all of them are good and I handy)
7. motor size (if you are a beginner rider you probably wont be maxing out the motor and if you get to that point a simple reprop will get you through)
8. ballast set up. (I knew I would or could add what ever I wanted)
9. stereo (again add what you want later
then ask and search, search, search. so much info. I spend 6 months looking for my boat. after 4 years I'm still very happy with my 05' Enzo
good luck
Clark beat me to it but added a few good ones. towing and storage for me was no concern but may be for you. pick your top 5.

Last edited by nailem; 10-02-2014 at 8:03 AM.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-02-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
John, it's ridiculous for me. If you worry about hole in your pocket how will you worry when you to buy the boat and start to use the one? You will have to pay a lot of money if you wanna go big on the water but if you do not so why do you ask about what can to do all of these boats? Just buy in color with shorts for your budget
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-03-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
here's the list my wife and I came up with- a boat is a tub full of compromise so maybe all this isn't possible in one boat.

1. good at wakeboarding and surfing we have no way of knowing at this point what we are going to like better. adjustable wake beginner and up.
2. freeboard- the wife loves to go but doesn't swim so the water touching the cushions isn't going to work.
3. size I don't want to feel cramped and im tired of stepping over everything so storage is important our crew is usually 8-10.
4.simple and quick, I don't want to spend lots of time changing from one to the other if possible
5. its got to be a solid reliable boat when it breaks down our summer is usually over because it takes 6 weeks or longer to get anything into a shop
6. fuel consumption if the bill is 200 a day its going to reduce are days at the lake considerable.
7. speed control auto ballasts bimi top ( I have rosacea so staying out if the sun is imperative)
8. it would be nice to not get pounded when going across someone else's wake or in the chop
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-03-2014, 10:27 PM Reply   
What's the budget again?
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-04-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
sorry ,forgot the budget im most comfortable around 20 but could go up to 25 or even a little higher. the boats get way nicer the closer you get to 30 but that makes me cringe a bit.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-04-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
Dude, like these guys said, find out what's going to do everything in your budget, pick a couple of boats and give it some time to come around. I went from an I/o to direct drive to vdrive all in the matter of a year and a half. I wish I would have just listened to all the help here and just got what I wanted in the first place. My opinion, for all that your looking for is try to find a tige 22v, 22ve, 24v, or 24ve. With any luck you can find one, 2005 or so for around 30 maybe a little less. I know you said it makes you cringe, but if you find something ready to go with a ton of freeboard it will save you money in the long run and make your family feel safer and in turn make it more fun for everyone.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-04-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
where do you live? a quick search on onlyinboards there are a lot of boats to fit your needs. will you travel to pick one up? I traveled from Erie, PA to Florida for mine. I would also suggest searchtempest. it is a search engine for craigslist.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-04-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
im in Sheridan Wyoming and will travel
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-04-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
These are what I would consider. They might not do both really well, but can be setup to do both well. Don't know too much about the Pro V for surfing.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2003-San...nia-46303.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Tig...ada-45710.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Cal...ton-46217.aspx
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-05-2014, 11:06 AM Reply   
what about a 2002 supra launch ssv
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-05-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
. what else is there to worry about in a boat that wasn't winterized so the engine cracked. im looking at one that has a new engine but are there other things to look at?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-05-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thats pretty much it. Engine and related components: manifolds, Vdrive, trans cooler, etc. All things that would have been changed to get it back up and running.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
I think a Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS would be a good fit for you. This is a really nice example. listed for 35K, but I've seen others listed for much less.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/MasterCr...ina-45216.aspx

These boats are big inside, and have a very versatile wake. Unloaded, it's fine for beginners. Weighted heavily, it's enormous. Also, it handles chop very well.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-10-2014, 10:27 AM Reply   
if the choice was between the 230 vrs an 02 supra launch ssv an 02 tige 23v or an 01 diamond hull wakesetter vlx which would bet the better fit. im leaning hard at the supra launch because its got way less hours and every option with upgraded ballast and I really like the swim step.

Last edited by padawaan; 10-10-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added more info
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-10-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
So you want a 23'+ boat, fairly flat bottom (for slower wakeboard wakes) but something that doesn't beat you up, fast ballast, lots of freeboard, great mechanical condition as you don't turn your own wrenches, all for 25k or less.

Good luck. Lots of freeboard + your budget = slim pickings on that alone.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-10-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
I got my Pro V for that. But its a little low on the free board and its not a great rough ride. I don't think the anilmal you're looking for exists. At under 25 it will be missing some things, i added better tower speakers, star gazer and plumbed in some extra ballast so im over that magic 25 now and mine is a 2002.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-10-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by padawaan View Post
if the choice was between the 230 vrs an 02 supra launch ssv an 02 tige 23v or an 01 diamond hull wakesetter vlx which would bet the better fit. im leaning hard at the supra launch because its got way less hours and every option with upgraded ballast and I really like the swim step.
For you, the 230vrs or the supra ssv. Wouldn't buy a tige from that era.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
I'd respectfully disagree on avoiding that era of Tige. Are they perfect, no, but they still made a decent boat. I had a 2000 TIge 20i. The boat was pretty darn solid. Was it as nice of that era Mastercraft or Nautique? No. But was it nice enough for a first inboard? Yes. The only problem I had with mine was that the seams went on the doghouse and rear sun deck where they stitched the emblem into the vinyl.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-11-2014, 7:31 AM Reply   
It comes down to what you are looking for. The 230 VRS is the biggest boat and probably best for rough water. Next size wise is the 23V. Close size wise and good rough water ride. These boats are more V bottom and will probably surf better. The 22SSV and the VLX are going to be close in size and be a little rougher riding. Less freeboard then the 23's. Both have great wakeboard wakes and I'm pretty sure both will surf, but not as well.

Again you have quite a variety. It sounds like you are just looking for a V drive boat and not really anything specific. That makes it hard for us to make recommendations. All 4 are solid boats from good manufacturers. I think you need to look at them and drive/ demo them. I don't think you are going to know what you want until you get some experience with these boats.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2014, 10:38 PM Reply   
Toyota had three hulls with several trim options:
Epic 21 - 21' closed bow direct drive (tournament ski boat)
Epic 22 and X22 - 22' open bow direct drive
Epic S22 and SX22 - 22' open bow v drive (larger wake)

All have the same Lexus 300 hp V8 engine found in the Lexus LS. It is a quiet, smooth engine that is easy on gas consumption. The fit and finish on these boats is outstanding, about a decade ahead of other manufacturers. Many people think my '99 is a new boat. Our local marina calls me every so often saying that they have someone looking for one and seeing if I'd be interested in selling. While it's always nice to receive these calls, we really like our boat so it's not for sale.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-17-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
lakeski , do you have problems getting parts for your boat?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-17-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
I'd say an Elite-V centurion fits the bill, but I'm biased https://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Ce...nia-46457.aspx
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
from your requirements:

1) get a v-drive. with your list, you won't be happy with a DD.
2) most any of them in the 21 to 23 foot range should work good enough. I would look for something that has the full wraparound rear seating up to the back of the driver's seat
3) get a boat with perfect pass. It's just going to make life easier
4) if you can find something with factory ballast, that will probably be a good thing as long as you don't mind it being slow. in your price range, anything with factory ballast will likely be slow and most certainly will need an upgrade in capacity for surfing.

And yes, a Supra Launch is a decent boat that would treat you right. Not the easiest to dial in for surfing, but any vdrive can get a surfable wave with a little work.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-17-2014, 9:14 PM Reply   
I've had no problems getting parts.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
Sheridan WY...just get snowmobiles and call it good. Id go with Skidoo.