Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-06-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
So I am graduating from college in December and my parents want to send me somewhere right after Christmas for a graduation gift. I can pretty much fly any were i would like to go in the world. Can some people give me some suggestions? I will be most likely going by myself and would like it to be fun. Maybe another Snowboard trip or go surfing?

Places i have been:
Most of Germany, England, France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy. Mexico, Hawaii
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-06-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
hug your parents real tight!
I would do New Zealand. thats on my top 2 list of places to visit before I die.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Looks like you've hit several places in Europe already. I'd maybe do Australia/New Zealand or do an Asian tour like Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand/Philippines, etc.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-06-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you are going snowboarding, Id recommend Whistler, Canada or the Alps or something. If not Id hit Australia/New Zealand. Tahiti would be sick too but if you are going alone it could be a little boring.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Bonair, gambling and prostitution are legal. Oh yeah world class diving too.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-06-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
hit up the philippines. everyone speaks english, you got Cam Sur & the best beaches in the world. PLUS - is SUPER cheap - your dollar goes a long way there.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Ibiza - you wont be alone for long
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Phillipines sounds awesome. So does pretty much anywhere on Brett's list.

Have fun man.... Take pics for us.

I'd like to do some exploring in South America. There are so many cool "undiscovered" spots, but you'd probably want a tourguide.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-06-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
I have snowboarded across Europe and i really enjoyed that, Thailand sounds like a blast. its been on my radar for sure. Do any of you guys want to disappear for a couple of weeks? I was thinking about boarding in japan, but that probably would get boring by myself.
Old    alanp            10-07-2010, 1:24 AM Reply   
se asia. stay in hostels. check out a full moon party in thailand.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-07-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Some pics of the beaches in the Philippines.
Attached Images

Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-07-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Heard allot of great things about the Philippines. Have a friend who just got back after spending three weeks there. Said it was super cheap.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Migs... man, that looks georgous.

Japan would be cool. The wake scene is definitely growing there. I'd like to hit one of the indoor snowboard parks, too.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-08-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
well i think you guys may have made my trip. So the question still is, who wants to go?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2010, 12:35 AM Reply   
If you want to snowboard....and can go anywhere....you should head up to Whistler in BC. It is so much fun, great scene in the village, and you can seriously go all day everyday and continue to find new runs. Also have some awesome heli skiing/boarding!

I went over spring break last year and it was my 5th time going, its a blast. The drinking age is also 19. If you actually go to whistler, let me know and ill tell you some places to check out
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2010, 12:40 AM Reply   

Glacier

Peak to peak gondola, way sick!

got here from a lift.

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-08-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
There is only 1 spot in the world you should even consider because it may not be around forever.

Everyones list is good, but throw all those sugestions out and go to...

The Maldeves end of story. thank me when you get back.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-08-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
oh man, whistler looks good and also The Maldeves... i am honestly looking for something alittle more out of reach.. whistler looks like a blast its just easily reachable when i am working. places that take some time are what i might be interested in more. places that i couldnt justify taking the time off from work.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-11-2010, 12:25 AM Reply   
So maybe you guys can help me out... i had a new thing going through my head.. I some what have a construction job for when i graduate, just waiting to see what bids come in next so i can have project... But here's my thing, what about just leaving for a year and traveling the world? i mean i have done a lot of traveling, but its different. Im just afraid that i will regret not doing it in life, i don't want to look back and say that would have been fun. The traveling doesn't worrie me, its the job when i come back. The economy is junk and for me to have a job i am lucky as heck.i need some opinions.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-13-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Man Whistler looks sick I wish I'd gone when we were in Vancouver last.

A friend of mine just got back from 4 months in South America, he went pretty much everywhere from walking the Machu Pichu trail in the Andes to the beaches of Brazil to jungles full of snakes, came back with some pretty awesome stories. So much to do there, not sure how good your Spanish is but you're likely to run into the language barrier anywhere you go to some extent, but most places you can find people who speak English these days.

If you go to Thailand my advice would be to stay the hell away from Bangkok if you can, it is a ****hole IMO, just dirty and congested, not my kind of place. It is kind of interesting to see how different it is, especially the temples that are completly covered in gold leaf, but you can see all of that in a day probably. Riding in tuk tuks can be fun, those guys are absolutely insane. The beaches away from the cities are epic though.

Since someone mentioned places that may not exist some day, I'd look at Malaysia or Borneo/Brunei. The rain forest there is incredible.

Australia is awesome, but it's full of Australians... J/K, some of the best surf beaches in the world, or just beaches in general are amazing.

But really, at the end of the day, come to NZ, we've got it all down here. Including an indoor snow park (it isn't that spectacular though, like a quarter mile straight down hill with a few jumps and rails on one side, I'd give it a miss to be honest). You can even visit the real Middle Earth.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-14-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
If you want to take a year to travel and can make it happen, go for it. I know thats something I really want to do when I graduate but not sure if Ill be able to make it happen. I cant think of a better life experience than seeing the world.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-14-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Whistler definately isn't a place to go if you can pick anywhere in the world and are from the west coast. Whistler is awesome but easily reachable for a long weekend from Cali. The pictures of the Maldeves looks amazing.