Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
First time it's ever happened. Came in heel side. Got a good pop but got off balance and went down nose first. I get the bindings as tight as they can go and I never thought I would ever lose both feet at once. I just hope they got it on tape.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
That happened to me last Wednesday and went to the ER quickly since I pulled the crap out of my lower abdominal (ruptured spleen/hernia/...). I was amazed that I came out of the Faction bindings but I didn't have any pictures of mine.... Hope you feel okay...
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
No s$!t. Did you hang on to the handle when you fell? I didn't get anything like that, just a strawberry up the side of my foot and my head was bumpin for a while. Hope you feel better man.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
It happened so quickly that I don't recall. I think I pulled the muscles about three weeks ago and just totally blew them away that day. But as I said, it wasn't fun and didn't feel nice coming out of the bindings. Especially higher end bindings... Sounds like you have a slight concussion with the bumpin of the head....

As for me, I am done boarding for 3-4 weeks or until I can feel better. Might be doing some wakesurfing in the mean time to make sure I am still out on the lake....
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-22-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Two weeks ago I was riding and it was a perfect day I was totally stoked and was just going for everything. I pulled in hard on the rope and cut, as i hit the wake i pulled in even harder and our cheap rope stretched. Bad news. I remember leaving the wake thinking "this is not gonna be fun". Hit so hard it pulled my right foot up to the ankle cuff in my hinge tech bindings. Knocked me so hard i didnt know where i was, and came up out of breath, gasping so hard i almost threw up. Turns out i cracked two ribs (through my jetpilot CGA vest), tore 4 connector muscles, sprained the joint in the foot and concussed myself. All in one shot. Moral of the story, I now ride with zero stretch aircraft grade coated cable and have watched The Book 3 times.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
OMG.... From my experience, it takes a lot of force to come out of the hinge tech.... Sounds like yours hurt more than mine.... ouch!!!!!!!!
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
I was out today and had a killer crash. I hit the water off axis and one foot popped clear out of my factions, as this happened the board completely twisted and put my ankle and leg in a very awkward angle. Both my feet feel like crap, hoping they're just bruised and not fractured. I have only once before been fully ejected from the bindings.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-22-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
My son's friend came out of both Faction bindings today. Very nice face plant. Then again, when you're 14, it doesn't seem to hurt as much.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
I duge my front edge coming off simple w2w HS and came out of both my One's, result, strained Abs. I ended up, 10' ahead of my board.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
ive come out of my factions a few times, and before that my xenons. i have my bindings as tight as they go to! ive never gotten hurt, but thats probably because i learned how to fall at 32 miles an hour skiing.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
in my old bindings when trying to clear the wake this happened to me 3 times in a row before... every time, i'd jumpe and come over my edge and the water would throw me out...

but now i got better fitting closed toe watsons and not one foot out the past 4 times i've gone
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
i had one yesterday. i had just land a ts w2w 180 and was on my new 3ds usualy i can butterslide out and be fine after i ride away. but my 3ds is locked in more then my old board so i did a switch ollie 180 and over rotated a little and caught my back edge and hit so hard my head bounced off the water according to the people in the boat and i cam right out of my eras
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
I do this all the time and for some reason have yet to get hurt but it scares me everytime, I always know its going to happen to and can always somehow think clearly while im falling and point my toes and it pops both right off nicely though, Ill prob not get away with it one day though lol. I started wakeboarding this summer and have yet to have injury thankfullly and the only thing that has happened to me thats hurts is when I slap the water sometimes my man parts feel like there in my stomach, I think I might be the only person who does this cuz it hasn't happened to anyone else Ive wakeboarded with lol
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
I came out of one of my hinge techs yesterday. Caught an edge on a heelside w2w...
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       07-23-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have 06 Zeus bindings and came out of both of them this weekend...twice. I didn't think this was possible without my feet detaching at the ankles. I also broke one of my upper laces the second time I came out.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-23-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
If you don't come out of your bindings every once and while you are not pushing yourself. Not that you need to come out but if you are trying new tricks you are bound to catch an edge and come out occasionally.
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
The thing is about coming out of the bindings is that sometimes you need to. The force put on the wakeboard when it hits at a weird angle is very harsh, and strong. If you are not thrown out of the bindings, all that force is transferred to your leg, and you will end up with a fracture. I do not know anything about the Faction bindings, but if your foot is not supposed to come out of them because they are cinched tight, it is putting your legs in danger. The force has to go somewhere, and if the bindings do not let go and break the line of force, then your bones and muscles will, resulting in injury. So my word of advice from the healthcare field is don't tighten you bindings to the max and don't be upset when you come out of the bindings, because it may have just saved you a broken leg
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Coming out of bindings is just part of it!
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       07-23-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I was actually relieved knowing that I could come out if I bit it hard enough. The most that happened last year was my heels coming up an inch or so inside the binding.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-23-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
cranked down the tension lines on the hinge techs today, im either staying in or breaking something.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
honestly, if you fall that hard, wouldn't you rather just come out without injury? Is it that hard to put them back on?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
I am glad I came out of my Faction bindings just surprised how much force it took to get me out of them. I took a huge slam to do it and having a CGA lifevest was also the best investment during my fall.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-23-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Coming out is great compared to some of the injuries you guys have had. If you come down hard on a weird edge then your board basically becomes a big water parachute, might as well be an anchor. I've never come out until this weekend and we've been increasing our speed progressively over the past month to get used to the new prop. Falling on an edge at 19 compared to 24mph is a huge difference.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-23-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Brooke, absolutely. I have no problems dropping the hinge and putting them back on. I'm usually ready by the time the boat can get me the rope.
Old     (silas)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-24-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Somebody started a new thread on this topic, so I'll just reiterate what I said there.

With the tight fitting bindings we're seeing these days you should keep the top laces a little loose if you want to release, especially in closed toe and high-end boots and if you're trying a new trick. (It's easier with two lace zones because you can lock in the lower zone and keep a little slack in the top zone for release.)

A lot of the new bindings don't have as much stretch in them as they used to. This gives a more solid fit, better support and better response but it's harder to release.

So it's really up to the rider to decide and control how tight they keep their bindings and thus how easily they release.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-24-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't understand why it is such a big deal to come out of your bindings on a fall. Not one pair of bindings made today is supposed to hold you so tight you don't come out. If that was the case then the biggest thread on Wake World would be "I blew my knee out today" The whole idea of the hinge is to stop heel lift when riding so you have better control and to allow them to be put on easily or put back on which ever the case maybe.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
strained abs, ruptured hernias, bruised tendons...

ligaments or bindings? which will break first?

Guys, your board will float. You don't really NEED to be attached at all times... just a thought.
Old     (silas)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-24-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
not true Ben.
Lots of bindings I've seen have no stretch (usually TPU) built into them at all. There are at least a few LF bindings with no stretch. And I've heard Slingshot is telling people that you will not release if you use the liner laces, and I believe it from looking at those bindings.
Old    willytown12            07-24-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I come out of my Murray closed toe quite a bit. I would actually prefer to come out on a hard fall. Its worse if only one foot comes out because it starts twisting your knee and ankle that is still in.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-24-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Stretch or no stretch I have seen people come out of each of the LF bindings made today. The slingshots are something that I have not seen but I guess when you are flying on your kite you would want your bindings to hold on.
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
You definitely want out of those bindings if you forget to let go of the rope. A 4000lb boat will do a lot of damage to your body if your board is held by the water.