Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-15-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
We were riding on the Stockton Deep Water Channel the other day and found this ship coming down the channel. Everyone on the boat thought it would be great to drag me infront of the ship and at the time I didn't think any differently. Now that I look at the pictures I would have to say it was a pretty stupid move.
The ship was so huge that it really intimidated me. I wouldn't even go wake to wake for fear that I might crash and get sucked into the prop or something.

Stupid Move
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
That has got to be chopped...and is a classic.

If not you are crazy.

Old    justsomeguy            03-15-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
You guys are every harbor pilot's nightmare.

At least in hindsight you can see the error of your ways.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-15-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Is that a real pic???? That is nuts!! Can I use it for our "Don't try this at home" article! :-)
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
haha i live in stockton and ive seen guys fall near the ships before nothing has happened but it is still pretty scary. It is definately an experience to ride next to one though, even if it is tied up downtown at the port.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-15-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
i'd say that yes, it's a real pic. it happens in stockton all the time.

not directed at you dave, but why are people so damn quick to call "shopped" on people that have nothing to gain from posting shopped pics?

(Message edited by dakid on March 15, 2005)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Crazy SOB!!! Those things you got made of Brass or what?!?!... Crazy just plain crazy!! .
BTW.. Great pic though
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-15-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Awesome pic. But not smart.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
I hope you were drunk, because at least then you would have some excuse for doing something that dumb!

Phew! Amazing pic though!
Old    swass            03-15-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Man, you people are gullible!
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-15-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
The picture is real. I wouldn't even begin to now how to crop and paste a picture and make it look that good.

Yes, it was a stupid move as the thread title indicates, but as my only disclaimer, I can only say that I was following the boat, not driving.

As for being drunk, No, I wasn't. If I were, then I'd probably be throwing an invert in the picture.

I doubt I'll ever do it again though and I hope my wife doesn't see the picture.
Old     (chvywkbrdrmc205)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-15-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
the happened to me one time riding the channel. My friends live a few turns off the channel and their boat is just on a hoist out back. We were riding and there was a huge ship up around the corner, so we turned around and took off the other way. When I was getting pulled back we can around a semi blind corner and there was the freaking ship. Huge mofo, scared the crap outta me. I just stayed inside the wake till we were way, way past that thing.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Crazy ~~ Yes.

Fake ~~ No.

Rob the prop on that ship is too deep to suck you in.

Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
First off "I believe". But, doesn't it look like the line goes up towards the ship and has ball at the top?
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
The photographer was most likely standing up under the tower so it appears to have a weird angle on the rope.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-15-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'm 6'5" tall and with my arm raised in the air it is approximatley 8' above the water. That being said, that ship must have been atleast 50-60 high and about 300 feet long.

Here is another picture to disprove the claim of photoshop.
ship2
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
That's quite a ship, and I'd have to say you have more balls than me. ... that or your driver is a mean SOB. haha
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
I hope you were drunk, because at least then you would have some excuse for doing something that dumb!

I second that
GOOD PIC
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
Joe,

The pic and description kinda gave off the flavor of being tongue in cheek.

I am unfamiliar with the delta and have never ridden there...can those huge ships be that close to the shore?

Plus he looks so relaxed...my sphincter tightens up when a seadoo is behind me let alone something that big.

I also think I was sort of hoping he "made" the picture as it seems way too risky to actually do that in real life.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-15-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
Great pic. You're crazy. But, awesome pic!
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-15-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
That's awesome, I wish I had been there!

-Blake
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-15-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
If ya never been on the deep water channel in Stockton and actually been along side one of those ships, it would definitely appear unreal. It is pretty amazing that they get those ships down the relatively narrow channel under their own power.

I wasn't on the boat that day but the pic is real. I have been right along side them as well.

Don't worry Rob, won't tell Karen :-)

Shawn
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-15-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
now if you were real crasy you should have went wake to wake on the wake that ship threw

oh yeah and sweet pics too
Old    wakelvr            03-15-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
I'm telling Karen! J/K
Who was driving? If it was Jason, he is busted. But it looks like a different day all together. Rob, motherly instict is kicking in... what were you thinking?
Old    jmo52            03-15-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
That is the craziest stupidist thing i've ever seen! Great pic.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-16-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
I wonder what kind of ballast weight that thing has in it?
Old    swass            03-16-2005, 7:24 AM Reply   
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying the ship was towing you, not a boat in front of the ship. There's that reading comprehension thing again.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-16-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Dang Swass, you need a vacation in the sun or something
Old    swass            03-16-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
Yeah I do!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
I had to investigate the death of a 16 YO PWC rider who showed off for his girlfriend jumping the bow wake of a barge. He fell off and the surge took him and his machine into the tug's prop. Never recovered the body, although the machine floated back to the surface for recovery. If there is limited water depth along the hull, the water will move along the hull very differently than you may expect and can "suck" you into the prop. In a constricted channel I would not approach a ship or barge on anything less than about 25' of boat with decent freeboard. Even then, sometimes the water will cause the boat to "suck" into the ship's side and heel away from the ship. Needless to say if you fell in front of that ship off your board, you are likely fish food.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-16-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
That's so rad. I love it! Oh how I love the Delta and all its lovely surprises and unique attributes. As mentioned and proved above, definitly not shopped, those big ships do come in and out quite a bit.
Old    stillstandin            03-16-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
I think I would feel safer wakeboarding in front of that then a jet skier...
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-16-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
I hate to go against the grain here, but I don't think it was all that crazy. Im with Craig. I would feel safer wakeboarding in front of that than a jet ski. The tanker is consistent and predictable not to mention, slow. Anyway, let it begin...
Old    dick            03-16-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
i wonder how big the wake is on that beast haha
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2005, 4:49 AM Reply   
Dude, you should of done a wall ride on it! I'm joking, riding next to it is dumb enough as it is.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-18-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
The wakes on these things are actually very small.
Old    essy            03-18-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
holy cow!!! it's almost too hard to believe! consider yourself as the luckiest person alive with that monster behind you!!!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Great Pic Rob

Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
The screws on that tanker are not that deep, and are at least 24 ft in dia., there's at least two of them. They look just like an inboard prop, only a LOT bigger. The ship is nowhere near full, so the screws are a lot closer to the surface than you think, possibly even breaking the surface. I watched two guys get sucked into the screws after they fell overboard when I served on an oiler in the Nav. Never found any trace of them. You could have been some distance away and gotten yanked under by the prop wash, you'd be 30 ft underwater in a second or two. Buy a lotto ticket, you are a lucky dude.