Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (65filly)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-29-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
I'm thinking it's time for me to upgrade to a new board... I'm currently riding a 2003 CWB Nirvana (http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard4.asp?ProductID=1714) which is a great beginner board, but now that I'm progressing (trying to get more air and cutting harder, etc.), it's just not working that great for me anymore. The one thing I've noticed this season is that when I try to cut hard hs towards the wake for a jump, it will frequently slide out from under me (it only has the two big center fins).

I'm in need of some suggestions on boards that I could look at as a replacement for the Nirvana. I'm 5'5" and about 135 lbs. Not sure if it makes a difference, but our boat doesn't put out a huge wake (not bad though) and usually I'm riding in somewhat choppy water. Right now I'm pretty confused on what features would be the best for my skill level, etc. (i.e. length, weight, rocker type, fins, tip type, etc.).

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
It's hard to say, as everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I personally love the 3-Stage rocker, but most of my friends do not. The best thing you can do is to ride a few. Every shop I've rented from applies your rental $$ towards the purchase of a new one. The only way to decide is to actually get behind the boat on different types/shapes & see how they feel.
Old     (65filly)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for your reply Kat... I wish I could demo some boards however, the problem is I live a long ways away from any places that rent boards out (I live in the middle of Iowa). I don't even know any other people locally that wakeboard... so I'm kind of out of luck there, too.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
Kathy, what is it that you like about your board, and what do you dislike about it? Do you like that it is easy to slide around... do you like that it's fast/slow?

Sizewise, I'd say get a 134. What is your skill level? What tricks can you do easily, what tricks you have a hard time doing?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Any of these Hyperlite Dealers near you? I'm sure they carry several brands of boards, not just Hyperlite.

http://www.hyperlite.com/dealers/results
Dealer Results
Parks Marina24457 178th St.
Okoboji, IA, US

712.332.7303 (phone)

» Visit Website
» Email Dealer

Iowa City ScheelsCoral Ridge Mall, 1461 Coralridge Ave
Coralville, IA, US

319.625.9959 (phone)

Des Moines ScheelsJordan Creek Town Center
101 Jordan Creek Prkwy.
Des Moines, IA, US

515.727.4065 (phone)

» Visit Website

College Square Scheels6301 University Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA, US

319.277.3033 (phone)

Southern Hills Scheels4400 Sergeant Rd, Suite 54
Sioux City, IA, US

712.252.1551 (phone)

B and B Sports26001 212th AVE
Delhi, IA, US

563.922.9057 (phone)

Clear Lake Auto Sales1103 4th Ave. S.
Clear Lake, IA, US

641.357.4621 (phone)

Dunham\'sSouthpark Mall, 901 11th Street SW
Spencer, IA, US

712.262.6222 (phone)

» Visit Website

Dunham\'sEastgate Shopping Center, 5969 E Gordon Drive
Sioux City, IA, US

712.274.8844 (phone)

» Visit Website

Dunham\'s3800 Merle Hay Rd, Ste 960
Des Moines, IA, US

515.276.9455 (phone)

» Visit Website

Dunham\'s1010 East Kimberly Road
Davenport, IA, US

563.445.1111 (phone)

» Visit Website

Dunham\'sCrossroads Mall, 5th Avenue South & S. 25th
Fort Dodge, IA, US

515.576.7755 (phone)

» Visit Website

Waterloo Scheels2060 Crossroads Blvd
Waterloo, IA, US

319.234.7534 (phone)

Wayne\'s Ski & Cycle4700 4th SW
Mason City, IA, US

641.423.2851 (phone)

MC SportsAsbury Place
2585 NW Arterial
Dubuque, IA, US

563.583-3432 (phone)

MC SportsWillow Creek Crossing Shopping Center
452 Indianhead Dr.
Mason City, IA, US

641.423-0195 (phone)

MC SportsInterstate Shopping Center
1205 SE 16th Ct.
Ankeny, IA, US

515.965-7971 (phone)

Back to Dealer Locator

Fusebox Creative
Old    59yroldkid            06-30-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
I'm a beginner too, Kathy, but when my board slides out from under me, they tell me that I'm putting too much weight on my rear foot.

You might want to take the fins off (assuming that they are removable). This will force you to rely solely on your edges and you will have to place more weight on your front foot. You will find that the board skids around quite a bit at first, but it won't be long before your edging has improved significantly.

By the way, what town is "in the middle of Iowa?" I went to high school in Odebolt, which is about half way between Sioux City and Ft. Dodge.
Old     (65filly)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Cris -
Well, to be honest (ha ha), I guess one thing I don't like about my board is the description of it from CWB... "A forgiving design for riders looking to have a good time while learning the fundamentals. A stable one-size-fits-all shape that is ready for a cruise." I've been riding this board for over 4 years and I'd like to think I'm pretty much past the point of learning the fundamentals and cruising. As far as skills go... I can ride switch, do surface and butter slides, I can get air off the wakes both heel and toe sides... but I'm not getting enough air off the wake to do much else in the way of tricks (no tower and mediocre sized wake). This summer's goal is to go w2w (haven't done that yet). I guess my one big complaint is that it doesn't seem to hold an edge very well (slides out from under me very easily if I'm trying to cut hard).

Kat -
Yeah, a few of those dealers are near where I live - the problem is the only ones that are close by (Scheels and Dunhams) are large sporting goods stores in large shopping malls and I'm pretty sure they do not demo or rent any boards. I've been in both stores and Scheels usually has a pretty good selection of boards though.

Paul -
I'm from Des Moines (I don't think I've ever been to Odebolt ). I'll have to try your suggestions next time I'm out. Thanks.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-30-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Whatever you do stick with the same board shape - If what you have is a 3 stage, or if it is continous. That is where I screwed up big time learned on a 3 stage rode awesome, then bought a continous (i didn't have a clue) and rode like crap for 2 years. Now I have the Jett. And am back to landing my tricks.
Old     (65filly)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Kim - That is one thing I was curious about... my current board has a continuous rocker, but most of the boards I was looking at were the 3 stage or a "hybrid". My understanding is that a continuous is a faster board and more smooth/predictable and a 3-stage is slower with more of a pop off the wake? I was kind of thinking I would like a hybrid or 3-stage design a little better since I prefer a slower speed and was wanting more pop off the wake...

The Liquid Force Jett and the Diva were two boards I was looking into along with the Hyperlite Opal and Eden and CWB Sapphire. Anyone have any comments/comparisons on those boards?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-01-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Ive ridden the Jett (I have that one) and the Eden. Both have good pop, the Jett is more loose than the Eden and it lands softer. But i think it is a bit harder to set the edge on the Jett.
OF all the boards I've tried recently, the one I remember was the easiest to set on edge and hold it was the Ronix Krush. It has the same principles of the Eden (assymetric board) but I liked it more.

If you want to keep it a continuous, I've also tried this year's Murray and it has awesome pop and it is an hybrid continuous. It is a bit faster than the other boards I've mentioned though.