Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-11-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
I think I am planning on moving to Hawaii by the end of summer. Was wondering if I should bring my Enzo out? Anybody know how deep the Hawaii Kai Lagoon is?
Old     (quiksilverider06)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
im in maui in march 09 so if ur there id love to come scred
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Aren't the boating regulations really stiff in Hawaii? Especially pleasure craft I believe.
Old     (ianhedburg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-12-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I hear the surf is nice in Hawaii......
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
don't really need a boat to surf in hawaii, but would be nice to have the Enzo to wakeboard behind.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
You could surf behind the enzo in Kanehoe Ba, think the HK lagoon might have a wake zone limitations.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thats Kanehoe Bay, sorry (Oahu)
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-13-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
isnt kanehoe bay on a military site? I wake boarded there once.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-13-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
isnt kanehoe bay on a military site? I wake boarded there once.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
yea, the military base is in Kanehoe, but I think it is ok for the civilians to ride there
Old     (nhu1978)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
keehi lagoon & kaneohe bay, oahu. but you might want to ask a local. i used to live on the big island, but that was before i got into wakeboarding. tracy trinh is a local and i'm sure she'd be down to help with your questions. you can look her up on the "girls who ride" discussion board.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I lived there for five years, you can ride in both place's and there used to be a sweet little wake shop on the Kanehoe base called RnR. You can ride over there and there's a nice little group of trees out by the front gate, but you cant get a boat on the base if your not in the military. You can put in at several diff. place's on K-bay though and just drive over there, it's the best spot to ride on that side of the island. You can also go behind the island they filmed Gilligans Island on that is now the UH research site.

Keehi is easy and there are some ski clubs that have some cool little beach house type deals on the spoil island. Put in at Sand Island and you're right there.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-22-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
if i was in hawaii, the last thing i would be worried about is WAKEsurfing...

get out in the ocean and rip!!!
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-25-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I grew up in Hawaii Kai and when I wasn’t surfing, I was skiing and wake surfing in the marina. But that’s when there were very few homes and condos around it. Even back then many of the home owners were trying to shut it down to all boat wake activities. If wake surfing started becoming prevalent in the marine, that would be all the ammunition the home owners would need to shut it down to the rest of the skiing and wake boarding groups. You can go right out the channel in Moanalua bay and wake surf all you want.

I sure miss surfing the summer south shore swells at Portlock Point, China Wall, and Pillars not to mention the awesome winter surf on the north shore. If I were you I’d dump the Enzo on the mainland and pick up an older 28” to 30” cabin cruiser for half the money. There is absolutely no market for inboard tow boats in Hawaii. I’ve found some of the best wakes behind I.O’s…. No need for sideswipe, they exhausts out the prop. You can trim with the out drive and shape the wake to massive size. All the talk about hitting the prop is just propaganda created by the inboard boat builders to scare people into buying there products. I should know! O-well no worries, I’ll be kickin it back in Kauai next month.

Upload
The Wall at Portlock point 1975
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-25-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
Tim - It's so nice to hear from you. Bob called me on my last visit in Hawaii. He called as I was leaving Waiameia Bay (spell check). I'm doing it. There are guys very interested in wake surfing. I may start a wake boarding / surfing camp in Hawaii Kai. Got to get the galvy trailer. You and Bob are always welcomed to visit and stay at my house. I love you guys.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-25-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,
I have been getting alot of emails of people that want to ride on Oahu since I posted this. It may happen. I'll make it happen.
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-27-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Alan,
Why are you moving to Hawaii? Did you find a Job there?
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-30-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
Surfing instructor at an elite surf school that caters to all the high end turists and high end people. All the Hollywood heads go there. I'm also planing on doing a wakeboard / surf school in Hawaii Kai. If I'm living in Hawaii - I'm living the life style. Board shorts and rubba slypa's. I ain't wearing a shirt to work if I can help it.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-30-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
And my wife is from there. and she was here for 7 years, hating life in the Bay Area. It's time I give back to her. My daughter Camilla already surfs - Goofy Foot; like her dad. shes 5. Matteo (2.5 years old) is next. Better be a goofy; Pipe breaks Left.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2008, 10:09 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,
call me - Bob has my number. if not - 650.537.1201
Thanks, Alan
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-03-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
wakesurfing in hawaii sounds like rolling over to jerk off instead of scr*wing the hot chick laying in your bed
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
ha, good analogy.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-03-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
It's all about makeing a living and providing for my family and doing what I love. How big are the waves in Texas?