Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-12-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
anyone else watching this on Saturday night?
should be interesting. Freddy Roach is predicting a 1st round KO of Cotto. Not sure how much effect the beatdown (probably illegal) he received from Margarito has affected him for the long term.
Pacquiao is a stud, but Cotto could cause some problems.

and yes Umali, I know who you are going to be picking!
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-12-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
Definitely watching, as I'll be in Vegas. I'm taking Pacquiao.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Taking Cotto,

He's got the speed Paquiao has.

He's got the power Paquiao doesn't.

He didn't have to starve down forty pounds to make weight like the last two who fought Paquiao.

He went toe to toe for ten rounds against a power puncher with loaded gloves (Margarito).

I've been suspect of Paquiao's true power ever since he was unable to finish Marquez after knocking him down three times.

BTW,

You wanna see young talent? watch Chavez Jr. in the under card. That kid is gonna be big!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-12-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
is Jr. on the undercard? sweet. I have heard lots of good things about him. I keep missing his fights though.

I think you may be right Cliff. although I really do not know what to think about Cotto after that beatdown. he has had two fights since, and both were so-so. the second one he did fight with a nasty cut for pretty much 10 rounds though, and got through it.
I am excited about it though. I like watching Pacquiao fight regardless.

plus, the free ufc or mma stuff on spike that night! I am going to watching some form of fighting for like 7 hours straight!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Yuri is pretty good too.

TV lineup for the Top Rank-promoted pay-per-view card Saturday night (9 ET, HBO PPV, $54.95) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas:

Welterweights: Miguel Cotto (34-1, 27 KOs) vs. Manny Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 KOs), 12 rounds, for Cotto's title
Middleweights: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs) vs. Troy Rowland (25-2, 7 KOs), 10 rounds
Junior middleweights: Daniel Santos (33-2-1, 23 KOs) vs. Yuri Foreman (27-0, 8 KOs), 12 rounds, for Santos' title
Welterweights: Jesus Soto-Karass (24-3-3, 16 KOs) vs. Alfonso Gomez (20-4-2, 10 KOs), 10 rounds

I like Cotto and Paquiao but I don't think either of them would fair well against Mayweather. The only true threat to Mayweather is Paul Williams. It's not by chance that nobody from 140 up to 154 that holds a belt will touch him with a ten foot pole. That guy is an animal. He's Thomas Hearns height and power, Sugar Ray's speed, topped off with Marvin Haggler's ring savy. I'd love to see him in the ring with Floyd.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-13-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
My level of stokedness for this fight is a 10/10. God boxing is so much better then UFC.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-13-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
+1 for that statement Kyle. i'll be watching this for sure. did anyone see the 24/7 for this fight? I was a little surprised at some of Freddie Roach's comments ab Cotto. talkin like manny has nothing to be fearful of and that he'll knock him out in the first couple of rounds..
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-15-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Man!

Manny took Cotto to school last night! I have to admit I never figured Manny could hold up against a larger power puncher the likes of Cotto. The way he countered Cotto's power punches two and three to one was simply amazing. The guy earned my respect big time last night.

Yuri looked great against a much larger opponent. I still don't see him going very far at 154 without punching power.

Chavez needs to head back down to 154. He looked slow and got hit too much for my liking.

After watching great boxing like that I flipped over to see a little UFC fighting. Maybe it's me but watching a 46 year old guy tie up his opponent for the entire fight just doesn't compare to boxing.

(Message edited by seattle on November 15, 2009)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-15-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
agreed with all points. chavez fight was almost as boring as the Couture fight. no thanks.
manny v miguel was much better. thankfully we did not pay for the UFC fights, or I would have been pissed.

Floyd needs to stop being a pansy and step up to fight Manny. none of this 65% - 35% nonsense. the best pound for pound fighter in the world needs to be getting at least 50% of the purse. after watching Manny last night, I think Floyd would be toast.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-16-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
The best pound for pound fighter in the world is dead! His name was Sugar Ray Robinson! This is actually where pound for pound originated.

Total fights 200
Wins 173
Wins by KO 108
Losses 19
Draws 6
No contests 2

He finished his amateur career with an 85–0 record with 69 knockouts—40 coming in the first round.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-16-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I'd love to see a three way battle between Floyd, Manny, and Paul Williams. Kinda of like the Hagler, Hearns, Sugar Ray fights that were so popular back in the eighties.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-17-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
I really hope a Manny vs. Floyd fight happens.

Pacquiao has got crazy hand speed, the combos on Cotto in the 4th were unreal.

BTW Cliff,
it looks like you were picking this fight with your Seahawks goggles on.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-17-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
both pacquiao and mayweather have speed. the difference is there's power behind pacquiao's punches and nothing behind mayweather's.

if/when this fight happens (when mayweather comes back to reality and realizes that he doesn't deserve 65%), i'll take pacquiao tko over mayweather in the 7th.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-17-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
No goggles in boxing. I just default to power and size over speed in most cases. Manny is proving that he only gets stronger as he moves up through the weight classes.

When Manny and Floyd meet up it's going to be the best fight we've seen in boxing in a long time.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-17-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
"When Manny and Floyd meet up it's going to be the best fight we've seen in boxing in a long time."

sadly, I don't think this will happen. this is my biggest issue with boxing. the ducking done by fighters like mayweather. if it does actually happen, it will be when both are out of their prime.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-24-2009, 12:37 AM Reply   
i've watched the fight a few times now and i still can't understand why it took bayless so long to stop the fight. i felt bad for cotto. he was very courageous, but damn, he took a beating.
Old     (mads0113)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-02-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
It looks like it is going to happen...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4705330
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-02-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Manny is vying for a congressional seat now?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-02-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
he had a couple of years back as well Cliff.
I still don't think this fight is happening for a couple of years yet. Mayweather will come up with some "injury" to get himself out of the fight. and if not, Manny will destroy him and it will be the best $70 I spend all year!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Pacquiao and Mayweather in Cowboys stadium?!

I would certainly go see that

with that big plasma t.v.,there would not be a bad seat in the house

blood, cuts, sweat....ring girls.....all 50 feet tall in high def! woo hoo!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
cliff g., are you going to go against manny on this one?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4806180

is anyone else as disgusted with mayweather as I am?

much like I had predicted, this fight will only happen a couple of years down the road when they are both out of their primes. who is mayweather to dictate what kind of drug testing gets done?
just do the normal testing, and fight like a man!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
gayweather