Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    atxwake            06-06-2002, 9:06 AM Reply   
I just bought a 2002 Chaparral 18 foot, it throws a phat wake, i also just put a skylon on it, what are the benifits of a vdrive over a I/O? Am I gonna be limited to anything?
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2002, 5:05 PM Reply   
I/Os are generally harder to keep a constant speed with, and usually don't have a good wake, but it seems like yours does, so the only issue you should have is the speed. but im not sure if you can get a perfect pass on an I/O, if you can, its well worth it.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2002, 6:08 AM Reply   
Speed is the biggest problem for I/Os. But you can get perfect passes for I/Os. However, most I/Os come with a small V6 or V8 and I would think that a perfect pass might make them labor a little, being hard on the engine. I disagree with David statement that I/Os don't throw a good wake. Most I/Os throw much better wakes that comp boats without weight. Add some weight to either and you can really build the wake up, so I don't think wake size is an issue. Just my .02.

JB
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2002, 7:51 AM Reply   
I had a 23 ft Monterey and it threw a big wake. The problem (beside the speed issue) is that with a deep V hull, the boat would want to lay more on one side or the other. This would dramatically change the shape of the wake, so it was never consistent. The driver had to turn the boat slightly to keep the wake clean on the side the rider was on.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2002, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ray, it sounds like you didn't have your weight distributed properly, or not enough weight at all. An I/O shouldn't want to "lay more on one side". They should ride level in the water, try redistributing your weight, or adding some weight to the boat to get it to sit lower in the water.

JB
Old    ridehyco            06-08-2002, 12:51 AM Reply   
I think the biggest problem with I/O's is the prop config. With the prop being situated nearly 2-3 feet below the bottom of the boat, you're gettin more of the boat out of the water. Especially in my case with a big ol fat planing tab and dual counter rotating props. With vdrives, and d-drives for that matter, the prop is inches below the bottom of the boat, thus, more boat in the water, thus pushing more water, thus making big wake.

i/os keep boat to water contact to a minimum, at least more so than d or v-drives, thus minimizing water pushed, in turn minimizing wake size and shape.

At least thats what I've seen...or think I've seen :-)

H
Old    garyfranc            06-08-2002, 11:39 AM Reply   
Atxwake,

If you're running a 3 blade, try a Compprop 4 blade for about $80. Made a world of difference in speed control on my Reinell 18ft I/O w/4.3 liter V6 engine. It now holds engine speed within +-25 rpm while pulling a boarder or a skier with hands off the throttle.

I was amazed. It's like a whole new boat!
Old    atxwake            06-10-2002, 7:07 AM Reply   
Gary,
Thanks for the info, where can i score a prop like that and who makes them? Im running a 21 Pitch right now, what should i go to on a 4 blade?
Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old    bobbymucic            06-10-2002, 3:50 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Check out a aluminum 4 blade..try a 20 pitch.
I have an i/0..I've been through many props trying to find what I like.
I've done the comprops, but I (and others on this board) have broken blades without even hitting stuff.

I am now running a 19 pitch stainless high five prop (too expesive, but work great) on a 19ft i/o that has a 4.3L V6. My top speed is much less thatn it used to be, and I think I may over-rev at wide open throttle. However, at boarding speeds I am running about 3200 rpms and at 34 mph about 4000 rpms. Good enough for me

Bobby