Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2008, 12:54 AM Reply   
Im just wondering if I want to try and wakesurf can I just use by buddy's surfboard. I dont know what brand it is but it is a short board. Any info would be great.

Tyler
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-20-2008, 4:15 AM Reply   
use it, we started using ours back in the day(7YRS)
Old    surfdad            07-20-2008, 4:53 AM Reply   
Hey Tyler, there's nothing wrong with using a board made for the ocean. However, you haven't given us enough info to conclude the likelihood of success with your scenarion. Length, width, thickness of the board, size of the wake and the weights of the various folks riding will have a dramatic effect on your success rate.

Most shortboards will tend to be in the 6'2" x 18.5" x 2.25" range. Also the average surfer, per industry specifications, is in the 150 pound range. If you're 250 pounds trying to ride a 6'2" shortboard for the first time, it might be a struggle.

If you are closer to the averages listed above, or the board is bigger than lited above, you'll have a greater chance for success. Like Chris points out - you need to try wakesurfing, it's great fun.
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Im 6'2" 190. All my buddys weigh less and I think the board is actually a six footer.
Old    surfdad            07-21-2008, 4:59 AM Reply   
You're in the ballpark, I'd give it a try. At the very least you'll entertain the crew in the boat with your efforts. :-) If you find that you just can't keep up with the boat, then you need to look at testing out a properly sized board.

Be sure to post pictures of the first effort! :-)
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-21-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Here's a 6'3" Board we used yesterday. It was my buddies board I don't know much about it. It was fun to ride but real tight, it had 1 large fin in the back.

Upload
Upload
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I found the surfboard (Vernor 5'-9"x19x2 1/4, 3 fins, swallowtail) to be way too slow. I felt like I was stuck to the water. As much trouble as I had with my Broadcast, it is definitely faster feeling. I haven't been able to get back on it since my back injury flared up again. Hopefully in another week or so.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/593769.html?1215562458