Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    brianthomas            11-30-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
Hey do any of you guys or girls wakesurf with your skimboard? I have heard that alot of the pros do, but I thought it might make it harder not having fins. How successful have you all been?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-03-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Brian,
I ride a skimboard but I put fins on it. It works really well. I prefer it over any of the surfers that I have rode. The one I use is a nice fiberglass Zap board. They are the same people who make the phase 5 boards. It was a friends board which was just collecting dust so I made it useful.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-03-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
My friend ridies his Victoria skimboard and it works well. Definitely looser than a board with even a small fin, like the Phase 5. Very easy to spin though.

I've tried it and I like the ride but don't like the slick top with only a small traction pad up front. I'd probably have a lot of fun on the board if the whole top was a traction pad.

(Message edited by sdboardr99 on December 03, 2004)
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-03-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
A skim board is fun but very hard to hole an edge me and a buddy got skimboardd right before we knew they had other wakesurf boards coming out. If you are very good on a wakesurf board you will have no problem adapting but you wont be slashing like you may have on a wakesurf board with fins
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-03-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
Stan can you tell me about how you put fins on it? I have an old skimboard and I want to make some use of it. Thanks.
Old    brianthomas            12-05-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
I just bought a nice vic skimboard and I was hoping I would get some use out of it over the summer when I had to leave college and the beach. I will give it a try and if all else fails just spin like crazy.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-05-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
We've tried it, but with little success. You better have a ton of weight in your boat.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-06-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
Blabelmooch,
I just put on some 1.75 fins and drilled them into the deck it worked good and was easy to do. I was thinking of adding one more to the front so it would be easier to ride switch.
Here are a couple of pics of the board.

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-06-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Stan, I appreciate it.