Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (apetryk)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-25-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Need a crossover boat that can accomodate a couple budding skiiers along with Dad's ambitions to wakeboard and possibly surf. Budget $50k although don't necessarily need to spend that much (little?)

Draft may need to be factored in - channel to marina is only 3ft or so (although this is lower than normal this year...) which I think should be ok for most boats?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Adam
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-25-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
Sanger D215 (please not this fits into the 'my boat' catagory).
Light weight for a 21.5 foot boat with a direct drive to provide good skiing. (Not as good as a Malibu response or other really light boat) Get the Bennett adjustable trim tab as an option.
Same hull as the V215 so your wakeboard wake and surf wake are as good as any when you start adding weight. (The V215 sacrifices a bit of skiing but makes adding weight a bit easier)

There are many others you should test drive too, but add this one to your list. The Sanger draft is about an inch or two more than some of the competitors.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-25-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
people say really good things about the malibu vtx on the diamond hull.
Old    mojo            06-25-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
are you looking to purchase new or a couple years old? the nautique sv211 or 206 is a good choice. i know MC has some choices also.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
I love nautiques, but I personally don't like the interior layout of the SV211. The draft is pretty deep at 28", but should still fit in your channel.

There's a few options out there, maybe answers to the following questions might steer our answers a bit better: Are you primarily looking for a v-drive, or is a direct drive boat also acceptable? Are you looking for new or used? How many people do you need the boat to hold? How important is a perfect ski wake? How important is your wakeboard wake?

I'd look at the mastercraft X-9 as another option. Tige has some boats that would probably fit your needs very well also.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-25-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
You would have several options with Tige.
Old     (apetryk)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-26-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
To answer some questions posed.

New or used - either is fine.
Not sure on v drive vs direct drive
How many people? Typically 6-8 adults (not necessarily when skiing but for cruising)
I would prioritize wakeboard wake over ski wake

Waterski mag has a 'Best of 2010 crossovers' list that includes:
Malibu Response Fxi
Malibu Wakesetter VTX
Moomba Outback V
Supra Sunsport 21V
Tige Z1

Thoughts?

-A
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-26-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Filter the info you get from Waterski Magazine because the 'crossover' descriptions are put in by the manufacturers who pay to be included in the listings.
There is a lot of good information in there though so do read it. Test drive to find the differences.
Sit in and test drive the V-drive and D-drive boats to see what space works for you. They feel and handle differently.
The difference between a Response Fxi and a Z1 is pretty huge when you test drive them. You have to decide which type suits you.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-26-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
How about an 07 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games Edition? Mine is priced at $53K and has lots of extras, including a HUGE Wet Sounds setup. I'll give more info if you'd like. There's a small picture in my profile.
Old    mojo            06-26-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
IMO, if you really want a crossover boat you need a direct drive. you can sac it out enough to get a great wakeboard wake, but still have a slalom wake as well. if you're going to be boarding 95% of the time go with a v-drive. it'll suck for skiing most likely, but it can still be done.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-26-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
My Tige 20v has a great slalom wake and with some sacks also makes a pretty awesome wakeboard wake.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Mastercraft X-15 is you are going to be wakeboarding more than skiing otherwise the X-14V if you will be skiing more. X-1/205V/X-2 hull is a great all around boat too. I know of a x-14v that will be in that range if you are interested.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-27-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
My previous boat was an 02 Supra 22SSV and it was a great cross over boat. Unload it and put the wakeplate down and you could ski it or sink it down with the Gravity Games ballast sacs and you could wakeboard it or surf it. I think they changed the hull in 2006 but I do not know if it is as versitile as the earlier models.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Malibu FXi looks like best crossover on the market now. I'm a Supra owner by the way.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-27-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
the tige has a good slalom wake at 36 mph with taps on 1 . with 6 people in the boat at 20 to 22 mph 70 foot rope and taps between 5 and 8 a awesome wakeboard wake also a awesome surf wake. it also has a good holeshot for slalom or barefooting. the malibu vlx has a good wakeboarding wake, but i,ve never skied behind one.the moomba has a good wakeboarding wake ,but again i've never skied behind one. i previously owned a correct craft nautique excel which is a v drive and it was exceptable for both , but the ski wake was a little on the tall side.in my experience their will be compromises on any boat. i would recomend you test drive and ride several different boats so you can see what a variety of brands have to offer.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-28-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Tige Z1 would be a great boat for you IMPO. Test drive them all its the only way to really know what fits you. Malibu VTX good as well. the response will be great for ski but will fall short for wakeboard and surf no matter how much weight you put in it.good luck!