Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ALWakePEACE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-12-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Just wondering what you guys would recommend to put on a 2006 Ski Nautique SV 211... I was at, at one time, going to do the double up, but my warranty on my others weren't out yet so I decided to just save the money for a later date. Now I am wondering what I would need to make it crisp and clear sound back at 80ft. I know wet sounds is definitely the way to go, but am not really up to date on their new rev line and wouldn't know what to get amp wise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
In place of a Double-Up hybrid mix consisting of a Pro60 6.5" HLCD plus an MB-8 8" midpass pod, you can get two pair of Rev8 8" HLCDs. The surface area on the Revs will be greater, the output and projection will be greater, the hang height will be better, and the sound quality will be better. Certainly the Rev package will cost more than the Double-Up but the Revs are infinitely more cost-effective and efficient to correctly drive than the Double-Up. You could power the two pair of Wetsounds Rev8s with a Wetsounds Syn2 at minimum or the Wetsounds SD2 at maximum. I prefer the bigger power option.
Now Wetsounds still has a modified Double-Up available with a larger Pro80 and MB-8 in white at $999 total. This is available from all Wetsounds dealers. And unlike the conventional Double-Up there is no justification to crossover and power the asymmetrical speakers separately with independent channels.
There are other options within the Wetsounds line-up but the above twin Rev8s would be the logical transition if you were once considering the Double-Up.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-12-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
I bought a set of Rev8's with my boat. I was planning on driving them with an HT4 vs the syn 2. Will that be alright?
Old     (ALWakePEACE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-12-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Thanks David,

Do you think that running the rev8's would be audible past 80 ft clearly? Or would running the rev10's be a better option to achieve that?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-12-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
If you've got the space, and money id go 2 pairs of rev 10s. One pair of rev 10s is audible behind the boat, but barely over wind, engine noise etc. I bought a 2nd pair of rev 10s anyways. I'm sure 2 pairs of rev 8s would get it done, but rev 10s, with more surface area, would obviously get the sound out farther and louder if powered properly.
Old     (ALWakePEACE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-12-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
If you've got the space, and money id go 2 pairs of rev 10s. One pair of rev 10s is audible behind the boat, but barely over wind, engine noise etc. I bought a 2nd pair of rev 10s anyways. I'm sure 2 pairs of rev 8s would get it done, but rev 10s, with more surface area, would obviously get the sound out farther and louder if powered properly.
What would you use to power the 2 pairs of rev10's??? I wouldn't begin to know what would be enough power. I keep waiting on Tim to chime in but guess he hasn't spotted the thread yet. Thanks in advance.
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-12-2013, 5:50 PM Reply   
I'm no expert but my pair of rev 10s sound good with a syn 4

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-12-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
I would definitly do the Rev8's if your looking to compare.. If not the 4 Rev10s will give you more midbass... I also agree with David's power scenario...

To power two pair of rev10's I'd roll out 2- MHD750.1 , 2 syn4's, or 2 SD2's with head room... Want crazy power go with 2 SD4's.. But be careful with that power ....
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
There is no question that if you want to step up to the Rev10s you will get 60 percent more surface area and greater pod displacement. The greater surface area means more output, almost as if you doubled your amplifier power. The added pod displacement in particular, plus increased surface area, means deeper midbass extension.
For two pair of Rev10s you would begin with a Wetsounds SD2. Over 1200 watts. Highly efficient Class D. One chassis. Enough power to approach the potential of the Rev10s. From there you could run dual Wetsounds Syn4s bridged. You might not hear much of a jump in average output but the headroom applied to the musical peaks is where I enjoy extra power. If you stay away from the amplifier's ceiling then you will interpret that extra headroom as attack, contrast and clarity when at rest.
First, take a close look at your tower, tower radiuses, tower front/rear tube locations, & bimini to determine if four wider body Rev10s present any problems.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-12-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
David, are you saying one SD2 will power 2 pairs of REV10s? How would you wire that? Could you start with one pair of Rev10s and an SD2 without blowing them up?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Adam,
One SD2 on two pair Rev10s? Sure. In parallel for a 2-ohm load. About 300 watts to each of four speakers.
One SD2 on one pair Rev10s? Sure. That's about a one/third power increase per speaker at a higher 4-ohm load but with a channel dedicated to one speaker.
With that power I would absolutely have no fear of damaging the speakers. But then I can detect what too much power sounds like before any damage is done, have zero tolerance for distortion, and won't pass that threshold for long. I can't speak for you. But I can give anyone an education on speaker damage and how to care for your possessions.
it's not much different from running your engine beyond redline. It gets noisy. You hear the valve train or something that sounds and feels rough. It's kind of obvious.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (ALWakePEACE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-13-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input David! Are you saying that the 2 bridged syn4's would give me more headroom or running an SD2 WITH 2 bridged syn4's? You have to speak dummy terms about wiring and electronics. haha I am good with the installation piece, but not so much the electrical jargon.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-13-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
I'm confused by the question.
So let me say this.
An amplifier converts DC power from the battery to AC power to the speakers. It's somewhat like a super high speed electronic valve that is governed by the audio signal.
There is a power supply in the amplifier that is a limited resource. It's like hitting the wall. When you are done you're done. Load it down too far and the supply voltage begins to sag and output power is limited.
When you run the amplifier at a low impedance (which could also mean bridged) you might deliver its maximum continuous power. But you have little extra in the way of responsiveness when the pedal is already near the floor.
When the amplifier is operated more conservatively by the load or by the pedal (volume control) there are reserves which translate to responsiveness. We will call that condition headroom. In other words, headroom is the available peak potential in reserve.
Headroom is not determined by the maximum power as much as how conservatively you put the amplifier to task.
For your purposes just compare the continuos power into a given load or configuration of one amplifier to the other amplifier. Head to head. Keep it simple.

David
Old     (wallsrodcustom)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-14-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Hello Ppl, new on here, i am looking for a killer system for sound. I currently am building a sound system on a X14. I have tried dealing with wetsounds- but have had very poor success with trying to purchase there product. Is there any other products you guys would recommend? To give you a example of system i am trying to build- i was looking for 3 1200 watt amps, 1 6 channel amp, 6 towers, and i currently have 2 JL 13.5 1200 watt subs.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-14-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
Brian,
First day. Welcome.
For anyone to really assist you, we would need far more detail about the application and your objectives. Which amplifier configurations would be driving which speakers? Which subwoofer model? What enclosure type and located where? And so on.
For six big speakers on the tower, you'll have to get the width of the pods and measure the tower for width and obstacles. If the tower speaker has dual collars you'll have to get the C/L to C/L. Some of this you'll have to calculate on your own in the field.
Let us know. Happy to help.

David
Earmark Marine