Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Does any one practice new tricks with the rope in hand? The boat turn around time to pick me back up after a 3 attempt is time consuming. What tricks would could you practice with the rope; Ollies, shuv-its, 1s and 3s?

I ask this question specifically for learning 3s. If you're trying to expand your trick portfolio it would be nice to spend more time practicing the trick and less time practicing deep water starts.
Old     (hoookwake)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-05-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
I'll tell ya what happened... I was kick tripping along then WHAM! "S" Deja vu! So I thought "S" Shannon would "S" if she saw that! Off to the Crummy to kick back and dream of the waves!
Old    surfdad            06-05-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
hahaha...what? My bifocals are bugging does that say hookawake?

Ed, are you thinking of doing a handle pass to practice your three's? You know, the ONLY time I can consistently land threes, is in a contest behind an Enzo. Irritates Dennis no end.

The wake on the Enzo, isn't as steep, it is BIG, but it seems to get that way without a great deal of vertical face. Also, in just about every contest I've been in with the Enzo pulling - it's just RIPPING fast and the pocket goes into the next county.

I wonder if shorter/longer wakes would be better for practicing tricks?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-05-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
Could someone translate what hoookwake said?
Jeff, 2 three's in your lifetime doesn't make them cosistently landed. LOL
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
We have an informal rule, I trick has to be accomplished three times in one day or twice in a row to be claimed.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking that an Enzo costs about $60K and a rope costs, well, nothing I already have one. The difference is about $60,000.00. Oh look, I found $60,000 in change under the cushions I guess I'll buy a new Enzo - NOT.

OK, if I were to buy a new boat an Enzo would be one of the top candidates. I’m just hoping to find an Enzo some time that I can surf behind so I can see and experience the legendary surf wake for myself. I’m probably better off not surfing behind an Enzo, if you don’t know what your missing how could you miss it?

I tried a three on a tinny Trick Boardz Free Style at about 9 mhp. With that board, at that speed the pocket is so small it can't be seen with the human eye. So my 3 attempt on the Free Style didn't turn out so well. I can lip slide the heck out of the Free Style but spinning the wrong direction.

Last week I played with turning down my wake volume while riding an IS Red but I don’t think there’s enough wake to pull a 3 on a Yellow or Blue. I’ve seen video of Jeff Page pulling a 3 on a Red, I can’t even imagine doing that.

I haven’t tried going much faster than 11 when I’m trying my 3s, on the Yellow. I haven’t tried going slow, slow like 10 or 9.5. Maybe I should try slower.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have tried getting my 3 while holding the rope but it seemed to get in the way. Also i worry that it will get wrapped around me and drag me if i fall. So i don't try it with the 3.

I agree with you that it does waste a lot of practice time when you have to keep starting over and over.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
ive used to play around on a wakeskate in the surfwave and would do 3's wraped. Put a little more lenght on the rope so it stays slack and i might work. It seems like i need my arms swinging free to create the momentum to get the 3 around.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
Walove can you pull a 3 without the rope?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
It seems like im in the same boat as the rest. I have rode away from a few, most of the time i dive the nose coming around and lose the wake, or go to far over the lip.

heres a question for those who surf both sides, are they easier when surfing backside. I only ask because that would be my natural spining direction (coming from snowboarding)
Old    surfdad            06-06-2007, 5:48 AM Reply   
Instructional video time. :-) I've posted this in the Aerials thread already, but I know how visual we men are. :-) The folks at MOBgroup.TV have put together a quick video of part of the video contest:

http://www.mobgroup.tv/videos/wakesurfing.html

Top link on the right on the above page. There are several instances of surface 3's. Dennis, you'll be THRILLED with the first trick on the video :-)

Back to biz...if you find a good clear surface three, then step your way through it paying attention to body placement, board alingment, head position the video can really help point out what you're doing wrong.

WAlove, check out Mark Sher's backside 3 in this video...I don't know about anyone else, but I can barely turn backside, yet alone throw a surface 3.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
When ever I ride backside i seem to always go to the top of the wake and get washed out. I found it a lot easier to just ride switch.