Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
What does everyone think of the alpine ix series amps?
Thinking of doing a pair of 300.2 and a 300.4 price seems good on them.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
You mean the 500.2 and 500.4? I am looking at the 500.4 to run a set of WS Pro 60's. Phil from Kicker suggested taking the 500.4 and running it 2 channel bridged and it puts out 250 watts rms.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-06-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Am I the only one that is confused about kicker in the title and alpine in the OP?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-06-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
????????

Kicker = Great products and the new IX amps are sweet.

Alpine = Also geat amps, I just dont use a lot of them.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Oops was looking at lots of different stuff when I posted it.
Yes it's the kicker 500.2 / .4
I am looking ta the arc 300.2 /.4 so yeah post didn't make sense.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-06-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
So far the Kicker IX line has been received real well.

I will not speak as the sales guy here, but rather as a consumer. I am using an IX500.4 as TImmy points out for a pair of KM6500.2's on a boat I have, (for sale) and so far, I have not been able to do anything to shut it down. It seems to be a real solid amp from my personal experience. Hopefully these comments are not construed as subjective...

They are new amps, and we have not promoted them heavily to the marine market, but they bring a lot to the marine market in terms of efficiency, run time, and lack of thermalling. They would be an excellent choice for someone who wants to take advantage of their full-range Class-D design. I know of a new boat stereo build that you might hear about soon that is using them exclusively. Stay tuned.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-06-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Phil, are you really suggesting bridging two channels of a 4 channel amp? :0
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
So far the Kicker IX line has been received real well.

I will not speak as the sales guy here, but rather as a consumer. I am using an IX500.4 as TImmy points out for a pair of KM6500.2's on a boat I have, (for sale) and so far, I have not been able to do anything to shut it down. It seems to be a real solid amp from my personal experience. Hopefully these comments are not construed as subjective...

They are new amps, and we have not promoted them heavily to the marine market, but they bring a lot to the marine market in terms of efficiency, run time, and lack of thermalling. They would be an excellent choice for someone who wants to take advantage of their full-range Class-D design. I know of a new boat stereo build that you might hear about soon that is using them exclusively. Stay tuned.

Phil
Kicker
I'll take a wild stab and guess its a 2011 black vlx. What do I win?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-06-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
I'll take a wild stab and guess its a 2011 black vlx. What do I win?
Ding ding ding! No more calls please, we have a weiner
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Ding ding ding! No more calls please, we have a weiner
See if you can stuff more prefab boxes in this one
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2011, 4:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
See if you can stuff more prefab boxes in this one
So, how's the one coming along thats going in yours?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-07-2011, 5:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Phil, are you really suggesting bridging two channels of a 4 channel amp? :0
*gasp*

I have talked with Tim enough to know his Pro 60's are designed in such a manner that a bridged 4-channel amp should run them reliably. I also know that for the Kicker KM6500.2's the crossover design is such that the impedance never dips below 4 ohms per channel.

For rare instances such as these, when I can guarantee that a bridged 4-channel amp never sees less than 4-ohms, I will on occasion recommend bridging a 4-channel amp.

You will still see me recommending against bridging a 4-channel amp to run normal coaxials, and you will also see me recommending against trying to run coaxials two-per-channel at "2-ohms" since most coaxial speakers have a DCR and an impedance thatt does dip below 4-ohms. The resultant bridged or parallelload will be lwoer than 2 and amps will often behave badly as a result.

SO yes, I AM recommending bridging, but for a very specific case! Good catch Hate!

Ya'll have a good day now, ya hear?

Phil
Kicker
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-07-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
So, how's the one coming along thats going in yours?
I don't do prefab, designed mine myself.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just ordered up the 500.4 and the new ZXM-RLC. Can't wait to pick them up and install them. Thanks Phil!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
*gasp*

I have talked with Tim enough to know his Pro 60's are designed in such a manner that a bridged 4-channel amp should run them reliably. I also know that for the Kicker KM6500.2's the crossover design is such that the impedance never dips below 4 ohms per channel.

For rare instances such as these, when I can guarantee that a bridged 4-channel amp never sees less than 4-ohms, I will on occasion recommend bridging a 4-channel amp.

You will still see me recommending against bridging a 4-channel amp to run normal coaxials, and you will also see me recommending against trying to run coaxials two-per-channel at "2-ohms" since most coaxial speakers have a DCR and an impedance thatt does dip below 4-ohms. The resultant bridged or parallelload will be lwoer than 2 and amps will often behave badly as a result.

SO yes, I AM recommending bridging, but for a very specific case! Good catch Hate!

Ya'll have a good day now, ya hear?

Phil
Kicker
Had to give you a hard time and get an explination
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Just picked up my stuff last night. I will write up a review once I get it all installed.