Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-22-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
switched to some 09 Reliks for this year, but even those seem too stiff up top for my tastes.

broswing here, i read that some guys were moding there bindings to get more flex. what is involved in that? what are they doing exactly?

also, im running 9* of duck currently, would going to 12* help with pokes? making the foot straighter with the leg, so its more of a toe point, rather than rotating the ankle sideways?

any advice would be welcome.
thanks
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-22-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
the reliks are supposed to be softer lower cut boots. if those arent doing it for you than you should work on stretching. There was an article a little while back with Mike Schwenne that talked about the importance of stretching and yoga to help improve flexibilty while riding for pokes and to help prevent injury.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
I would say that 9* is a good number as the more ducked the more the back ankle is going to have a problem bending than the front. Just put your board on your feet in your house and see if it is easier or harder.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-22-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
jason thats a good point. i was thinking the front (poked) foot, hadnt given any thought to reverse/negative effects on the rear foot.

anyone know anything about the guys that were moding there bindings?

funny you mentioned schwenne, mitch. i was watching him do those rear knee touch the board poke outs he does in rewritten, i tried that on dry land on the couch. simply impossible. even with the top laces completely loose i couldnt make that happen. theres got to be tricks....
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-22-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Do you have the flexability to do that without your feet in the bindings? Because I know I cant, it takes quite a bit of flexability. I havent seen anything about modifying bindings to make them more flexable, if you post a link to those threads I'm sure people would be able to explain it from the context. Otherwise, just put the boots on and keep flexing them, they will break in a bit. I can flex by boots quite a bit after one season of riding them (now all I have to do is take it to the water).
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-22-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
First thing I do when I get bindings is loosen the laces and smash the binding down over and over again to soften up the material. You can put your bindings on in hot water that also helps to soften them up a bit. Also the more you tighten your laces the stiffer the binding will be. So loosen your upper laces a touch.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-22-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
Cory, well Mike also uses the Hyperlite Remix boots which are a low end flexible boot. but still, being flexible yourself will help
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-22-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
well i tried doing a search for the thread, it was within the last week or ten days. but the search button returns like 200 pages when you type in binding flex or modifying bindings, so not much help.
and i cant remember what thread it was in that someone mentioned some pro, moding bindings for flex. i thought maybe it was the 2010 ultras thread, but i checked and it wasnt.

mitch yeah im flexible enough to do it, my bindings are not. i stretch and workout 5 days a week and keep myself pretty limber. even occationally going to gymnastics with the g/f for off water winter training.

wish i could find that thread...