Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
I need to outfit my '05 VLX so she is ready for the first time we surf. What do all you VLX owners recommend for the best surf wake possible?

I currently have the 2 hidden rear hard tanks and midship tank. Most the time it will just be my wife, 2 young kids and myself for people weight.

What sacs should I get, what weight, etc...

Thanks.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-27-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Surfside stock rear ballast full, midship full. Flyhigh 750# sac full on top of factory surfside ballast, 400# flyhigh sac on the rear seat on surf side, wedge fully deployed.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
ive got a 06 vlx...

almost the same

wedge down
surf side rear full w/ 400# sack over
middle full
400# sack bow
any people on surf side

works for us ;)
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Thanks. That is what I will try.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-27-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have an 07 and fill rear tank on side needed, 400# sack on top and the center tank. No wedge and everyone on the side needed. Everytime I use the wedge the surf wake is not as clean. 10.2-11.2 mph. I have the diamond hull. That is what works for us.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-27-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
All of the above plus good tunes.
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
Check out this article http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/vlxballastarticle.php

I have ridden behind this boat and it throws a monster wave.
Old     (noel)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-27-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Just as important as the ballast is to make sure the water you are in is at least 10 feet deep, preferably more. Any shallower than 10 feet and you will have no wave.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
I have an '06 with wake hull.

Surf Side Rear Full
Mid - Full
Front - Full
Additional flyhigh 750 in surf side trunk as full as we can
Additional 400+ in lead distributed on surf side mid-rear area
wedge down to down/half

Works pretty well although our non-surf side rear built in ballast has a nasty habit of filling itself now.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
"Works pretty well although our non-surf side rear built in ballast has a nasty habit of filling itself now."

Shut the valve, your pump might have some issues.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Yeah I think my pump does. Is there a check valve or somethign to stop that. I know the aerator style pumps don't stop water flow and assumed there is a check valve somewhere to stop water from flowing back out of the hard tanks, but is there anything to stop water from flowing in?

i asked around the malibucrew but nobody seems to know or offer useful advise over there right now.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       01-28-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Brooke,

You have a brass ball valve at the thru hull. Just shut that and you are all set. Don't forget to open it before you go to fill it nexxt time, or you may burn out the pump. You should see both fill pumps if you remove the back center cusion.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
That'll work so long as the water is coming from the lake. If it is somehow going from tank to tank, I'll still have that issue. I guess that's a great test to narrow down the issue and where the flow is coming/going. I'll try it in a few months when water is no longer solid ice :-)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
YIKES... WEDGE DOWN?????

I have some friends who have a VLX... 03 or 04 model. Busted up 5 Wedges already.

Dealer told them... do not use the wedge when surfing. Because every one is sitting on one side, all the ballast is on the one side... the pins on the wedge were shearing from the imbalance...

hmmm
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Brooke,

Yes shut the valve at the through hull, better yet take it to the dealer and have them change the pump out (or whatever the problem is) this winter under warranty. I'm pretty sure each tank is plumbed independently.