Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
most people with Centurions know that the toeside (regular footer) wake is washed out with the trim all the way up. you can use the trim to clean it up, but it takes away heighth. does anybody know any other ways to clean it up?
Old    mendo247            07-26-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
id sell it.. id be furious if i couldnt clean up the wake on my boat! try shifting weight from side to side would be my best advice, but ive heard other people say that doesnt work... there was some talk of bending the tracking fins a bit
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
You clean up a Centurion wake just like an other boat put more weight on the side that is washed out. Centurions have more V in the hull so they have a better ride in rough water but they are also more sanative to weight distribution
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
It took me a few tries to get the wake clean on the port side. As Kevin said the V in the hull makes it more sensitive. I have about 200 pounds of lead under the rear seat on that side to counter the driver and engine torque. It took much more weight on that side than I thought it would. I run with the hydraulic wake plate all the way up.

There are rumors that you can adjust the tracking fins and rudder to compensate for the engine torque. My dealer says it works, I haven't seen it in person.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
hey, noticed you've got a cyclone. What year is it? Been having some problems with the wake myself. I found that a sac in the bow and a large friend really helped a lot. However, the boat is going back to the dealership this weekend so they can add the rest of the bling that was on backorder. When I talked to them, they said that Centurion engineers had suggested a fix for the wake...will let you know what the deal is...and whether it helped.
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
It is an 04 cyclone. And the fat sac in the bow is hard, because there is no play pen to sit it on. It will fall in the foot well/floor. But how much would you say to put up there?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I would recomend 2 small fat sacs under the seats or lead that way the weight won't be in the way.
I would put as much as you can without it showing then add more weight to the back on the side that washs out

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 27, 2006)
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
we dropped it right in the foot rest area. I think there must have been close to 350lbs with my friend + fat sac. Also, we're running about 23-24 mph.

I once I see what the dealer does, I think I'm going to put lead weight under the seats...the bow rides high anyways.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
also understand that adam fields has a lot of experience tuning the avalanche wake (close enough hull/boat shape to get a good starting point on the cyclones)...dunno if he posts here tho.
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
can you post pics of your wake?
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
wish I had one handy for you. I've gotten to the point where the wakes are even (acheived by raising the wakeplate as high as it would go) and there's still a couple inches of wash on the top (which was diminished by the bow weight).
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
My Cyclone also has a bit of frost at the top of both sides when they are even. It does not affect anything.
I also run around 22

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 27, 2006)
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
...and it's a little deceptive, because there is a lip under that frost...
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
it is hard for wakeskating with the white wash. so i definitely need to fix it.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I understand.

So here's the deal. The centurion techs recommended that the dealer adjust the tracking fins to counteract the torque displacement and prop rotation (which are in the same direction). Only had one water test, and the water was REALLY crappy...but from what I can see, it really helped. Additionally, I got the hard tanks installed for the rear ballasts...I do think that helped as well.

So to sum it up:
Tracking fin angle change
3 tank ballasts - full
Wakeplate all the way up
About an extra 300lbs in the bow

everything should clean right up.

If you want to ask specific questions, you can call Art at AirTime Watersports (in VA Beach) at 757-499-2628 and he can give you the details on how much to angle the fins.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-31-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
trade it in on a better boat
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Wade-

When you get a chance would you mind looking under the boat. I imagine the fins were turned one way or the other to compensate the torque, probably opposite prop rotation? So in other words, a straightedge placed on the SIDE of the fin would show it turned a couple of degree's to the left or right? I think this is how it would be done.
Old    mendo247            07-31-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
just out of curosity.. do you guys find this a little disturbing that your having to modify your tracking fins to clean your wake up.. so is your boat gonna be crab crawling down the lake when your cruising to your fav riding spot? i would imagine this could affect your boat the same as car being out of allignment..
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
My fins have been adjusted all it does is counter the extra tourqe from the gear reduction trany and the larger 4 blade prop. Boat runs level and straight
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-31-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
thats ridiculous!
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Not sure which centurion you are running but I'd try getting in touch with holmes (gb_rider). He's running an 06' Avalanche and haven't heard of too many problems with his wake. Haven't ridden it yet but hopefully I'll be behind it in a week or two.

This is a surfing post but you can check this for reference (it's a couple posts down):

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/348041.html?1154218590
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
chuck and 882001, please go find some other people to bother.

Carl, yes, they've been turned ever so slightly to the left...perhaps a 1mm left of center.

Kevin, you're correct, no change to the drivability of the boat.

Ryan, with avalanches it's not so much of a problem because of the longer hull...the problem with the cyclones is they're almost 2 ft shorter and have the same deep V hull shape...which makes them more prone to left/right balancing problems.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Wade, I am going to try this on my Hurricane. If I understand you correctly from the rear of the boat the front edge of the fins would be turned slightly to the left?
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
carl, that's correct. That's only applicable if your prob and engine torque are in the counter clockwise direction, otherwise, it's the opposite.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
That does not sound right to me I would check with your dealer & or Centurion before atempting any adjustment
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-02-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
This is how it was explained to me from a Centurion contact. This goes for the front and back fin. Rotate the front edge of each fin towards the driver and back edge of each fin towards the passenger. Its that simple. I tried the adjustment over the weekend but couldn't get my fins to move any. I'm going to try to loosen the fins a little and adjust then retighten.

Kevin have you seen this adjustment done? Do you know if they are having to loosen the fins first?
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Art at AirTime Watersports performed the adjustment for me...when he explained the fix, I was half asleep...so maybe it's worth a call to him to get details. I know that this fix was suggested by the techs at Centurion...but is not necesarily known by all dealers. 757-499-BOAT
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
It would make sense to loosen the fins first.

Wade, did Art actually perform the adjustment himself or one of his tech's? I know Art is a great guy but I didn't know he worked on boats now. Should we talk to a tech instead?

Either way, sounds like a simple adjustment anyone can do. I am trying it this weekend on my hurricane & see what the results are, I will let everyone know.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Yes, Art did the adjustements himself. He is a tech...certified by centurion/mercruiser to work on their boats. As a matter of a fact, before he hired his new tech, he was doing the work on the boats himself.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
those fins are not just screwed to the boat they are also bonded to it.

Lance description is what I believe to be true, but I would recommend talking to your dealer & or Centurion. I saw mine adjusted with a larger plastic malate
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
kevin, that's how mine were adjusted as well, but I chose not to watch.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
I can understand that!
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
See my reply on this thread:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/348102.html?1154630688
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
If the fins are bonded and screwed, when you hit it with a mallet is it bending the fins are rotating them?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Bending them
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Last question. Is it visible to the naked eye.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
If you know it is there or someone points it out you can see it but you would not notice it like YIKES MY FINS ARE BENT
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
So I have to beat my fins with a plastic mallet? Oh boy, that sounds scary! It's too bad my old dealership doesn't still sell Centurion b/c the new place that took them on is horrible, I wouldn't trust them with a toy boat let alone mine.

So, since I have the big four blade prop on my 2003 this adjustment will work for me too? I know I don't have gear reduction but my port side wake is washed out also.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
The first thing anyone should do with any barnd boat with a whashed out wake on any side is to try weight! Simply put more weight on the side that is washed out. The only reason that you would want to adjust your fins is you cant fix the problem with weight!

You can't have the 13 X 17 big four blade prop because you don't have gear reduction.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-04-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Be sure the cavitation plate is adjusted up from flat approx 1/2 to 1 inch (if your boat has it). This plate blocks the prop wash from disturbing the wake. Use a weight or passenger and adjust between the washed out side and the good side, you'll find a spot where it will all the sudden clean up.