Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
I picked up a Tower Sock from (HBP) Hot Buddy Products. The makers of the power flag. I have seen several thread's on the Tower Sock. Most of the comments I have seen on it are good. The negiative comments I have seen are Its to expencieve and its ulgy. I can see where people are comming from on the ulgy comment. Its not the best looking add on but if it protects my tower then Ill over look the cosmetic factor. And as far as it being expencieve Anything thats good ususally is. If you have several thousand dollars worth of goodies on your tower Isnt t worth a few hundred Extra dollars to protect it.

Im tired of cleaning my tower each and everytime I take my boat out. My tower is full of accessories, and all of them collect bugg's so it take's me 10-15 min's to detail my tower once I arive at the lake, and the same 10-15 min's when I get it home. While towing home from Shasta we were faced with the posiability of showers and the thought of towing my boat with no tower cover threw the rain made me give the Tower Sock a second look.

Each Tower Sock is some what custom made for each tower. They are made with no space for the wakeboard racks or power flag. When you order a Tower Sock you tell them where the wakeboard racks are located and they cut and sew the bags into the Tower Sock. HBP added a space for the power flag and a extra space for my 2 LCD mirrior's.

The Tower Sock is quite baggy to fit most tower's. It comes with a tow coard that you are to wrap and stretch around any baggy spots to stop the tower sock from flapping in the wind. It is designed to tow with. Here are a few shots of it.

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Grant, I was debating on buying on of these. Have you towed with it yet?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
I havent Towed with it yett, My trailer broke, remember LOL. Im fixing it now. Ill let you know how it is while towing.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
I thought those were like $600-700, and yes it does look pretty horrendous. I have speaker covers to cover them, but when I tow long distances I'll spray Pam or a non stick spray on the front of the tower (watching overspray) when you get to your destination a quick wipe removes everything...takes about as long as it woudl to take on/off that sock.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-30-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
i think i want one now that grant has one
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
$449.00 via the online store @ HBP

http://www.hbpinnovations.com/shop/index.php?cat_id=2

He also produces some cool products, flag, soapbuddy, trashsack for boats & some of the best smelling slime IMO

(Message edited by lzyboy on September 30, 2005)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
If you keep your boat outside and you have speakers on tower this is a great option. Even if the rain never touches your boat the sun and dew will beat your speakers. The cover is water proof. Infact the stitching on the top side of the tower is all taped and stiched so water wont leak threw the stitching.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-30-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
I already have a tower cover, but I dig it for sure. I don't understand why people hate on the looks of it? I mean, do they think their ride looks blinging with the cover on? It's not made to look at, but to protect.

Anyways, out of curiousity, how long does it take to put up/down?
Old    waker13            09-30-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
I wish it would fit a Titan tower. Anyone know if there is one that would?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-30-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
We use to have one for our x-2.
I did like it for the short period of time we had it. When we got our x-star, they hadn't made one yet for that tower. He was nice enough to give us our money back on the sock we had just purchased fro the x-2 we didnt keep. Great guy and co. to deal with.
Dont know yet if they made a tower sock yet for the newer x-stars.Hmmm...but did like the one we had.
Old     (gabriel63)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
hey grant looking at the boat. i see that you have the power flag.I wanted to know if it was worth the money?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
SO, I think it looks like there is way to much surface area. Looks like it would make a lot of drag while towing. I think the idea is great, but the product is a little "mass produced" looking. Kinda a one size fits all.

Let us know how you end up liking it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
gabriel: The Power Flag is great. Shoots up and down is a sec. I have myn hooked up threw a button on my throttle, its a cool toy.
Luke: Yea I know what ya mean. There is lots of extra material. But thats what the tow coard is for. A tower specific cover would be nice. Annyone gonna start a business making them????? Helll no. As soon as you start making it more form fitting it wouldnt fit if you added anything like a extra pair of speaker's or lights ect. As far as i know this is the only type of cover that covers the whole tower
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
What about screamin sacs? They can't do a custom tower job?

Anyways, after I finalize what I really want on my tower, I am going to start looking at a cover. The bugs are crazy ridiculous!! My mom actually sewed up my bimini, and she was pretty sure she could do a whole cover, but it had to be finalized first. Soooo, when I get rid of my tower box and make up a new one, I will let you know how my tower cover comes out.

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
Grant, what about towerbiminis.com? I know they do alot of custom work. Did you ever check into a cost from them?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2005, 12:11 AM Reply   
I had tower bimini's make me a cover for my old tower speaker set up (photo) It ran me like $300, It was made of sunbrella When I towed with it the wind would get up in it and it moved around and it rubbed against my tower and speakers and it rubbed the finish off. It caused more damage then it prevented, I had to have them re-make it twice. Because it eventually ripped, So the total cost of the cover was $400 after they re-made it for the second time.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   
What the heck is a power flag? and what is it used for.. never heard of them before.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-06-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
sorry to ask this grant, but what is that "extra" pole coming out of your tower?
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Thats his power flag that they are talking about. You push a button the flag pops up. Push it again it goes back in the tube. Here is some info
http://www.hbpinnovations.com/powerflag.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Brent: My bad I didnt see your question. Some states have a flag law, Ca is one of them. Here is some more info on my set up.
http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album14
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-06-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Here is the cover that I got from Malibu with my Blade tower. It's got a soft lining inside and some sort of synthetic leather on the outside. This is one of the greatest inventions in boating. It's easy to install and my tower, speakers, racks and lights all stay squeaky clean!

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
Dave ~ Not keeping that baby in the garage anymore??

Did you get tired of taking the ski step off and folding the tower??
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
that blade tower sock is awesome!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-06-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
No, I'm still keeping it in the garage for the most part, but sometimes I leave it out if I'm going twice in one week (very rare :-)).
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
Try this guy...he had some really nice custom cover products out a Texas Tour Stop a few months back. His speaekrs covers wer're custom made out of a heavier fabric than what Iive seen out there and lined with a soft cotton material.

Kris Tuininga
Wake Specialty
kris@wakespecialty.com