Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
I'm just about to buy a new accurate premier handle, but have recently seen two handles break at the same point (as it joins the handle).

I'm unsure on whether most handles do this, they've both been used for about a year, but were broken by the same guy.

Has anyone else had this happen and do the top range handles do it too???
cheers
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
When I first started boarding I was using ski ropes and broke 2 ropes and 1 handle. I now have an Accurate and a Straght line and have never broke either. Both are very good ropes and handles.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
I've never seen one break
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-02-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
I am 29, been skiing and riding all my life and never seen a handle break.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
odd, cause both handles have broken in the same place. This guy rides with me everytime i go and does load the line just a bit much on his cut out (just to see if the boat can topple) so i guess that could be it.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I've had 2 handles break on me. The first one broke where the little handle rope connected to the bar. The second bent right in the middle. The funny thing is these both happened when I was pulling beginners. Maybe they didn't let go when they fell??? Neither wrecks looked bad.... They were "NICE" brand handles and they were good about sending me replacements. I was using their 17" handle...but went down to the 15" and haven't had any problems..... You should always have a spare handle and rope in the boat! or it could ruin a whole day of riding.....
Old    deltahoosier            03-02-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Levi,

did you get your handle's in Livermore? I wonder if you are the guy he was talking about with the Nice handles. I have the 17" and I love it. I weigh around 290 lbs. and have had no problems. I never grap the middle of the handle, that is asking for trouble.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Nope. I got my first one from a guy over the net and the second one straight from NICE in Boise. I also liked the 17"..but they were talking w/ their mfg. to try and figure out why they had a couple come back bent like mine. So instead of dealing w/ the return issue again..i just went for a the 15". The funniest was when the handle bent the guy that was riding probably weighed about 150 pounds. I couldn't believe he bent the handle. If it's going to break..I should at least have the pleasure of doing it! Not some skinny dude! :-) The next thing I know I'll have someone's little sister break my board!
Old    deltahoosier            03-02-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
150 lb dude bent it? Dang, he must of had that GI Joe kung Fu Grip going on or something. That is unreal. That is why I try and have guests use my boat rope if possible. Still very good stuff, but, not the stuff I want to ride with. People just don't realize it can cost around $200 for a setup.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
here are some pics of the damage

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
it may not be that clear, dunno why the camera wouldn't focus, but try to work it out and you'll see whats happened,
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
I have a couple of straight line handles that we have punished pretty hard, but still hold up. The first time using the accurate carbon handle we chipped it in two spots.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Everyone I ride with had the Accurate carbon last year. They are all getting different ones now cause of the chipping headaches.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-02-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
i use a straight line 15" barefoot wakes handle i got for $30. it has a nice narrow smooth foam grip. i was given a expensive premier handle and everyone in the boat prefers the bf handle. it has also lasted me about 5 years now, with the only thing going wrong is the float tearing. but a little duct tape fixed that right up.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
thats a b*gger cause i think i'm gettin a premier handle, i've managed to get a good deal (including shipment to UK) from grizzly.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-03-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
I bent a ProFlite (?) handle I got with my beginer board. I took it back to the shop 2 summers later and good a new rope and handle. Only took 2 months. Buy from a shop with a good reputation and you will be fine.
Old    bmanİ            03-03-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
my accurate 15" handle got caught on a slider last summer and didn't break.. just bent it a little bit.. looks cooler now anyways.
Old    c_dub_bizzle            03-03-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
proline makes some sweet hardcore lines and handles. accurate too. Both hold up. Harry, if it was ever slightly frayed that can make a world of difference if it breaks. That would be a key reason why one would break. Abrasion to the line can be deadly in the middle of a big sick raley or 313 or somethin