Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-26-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
seems like alot of the boat ads (vids) show massive wakes and Im pretty sure they arent using stock ballast. Any places to see vids of what the wakes look like with only the factory ballast looks like and not a bunch of extra sacks?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-26-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
May be tough to find. Since everyone is so concerned about huge wakes, thats what they show. We just bought a new boat and I will be starting out without even using the ballast to wakeboard. It's so much bigger than our old boat i need to work up to it. Extra ballast is nice for surfing though!!

I know Moomba had wake pictures on their site with factory ballast.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-26-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
What boat are you looking to see? I would think you can find videos of people riding with the family. Most of the guys that are taking pictures or shooting video are going to have the boat slammed. I can tell you from experience that you would be more than happy with the wakeboard wake on any boat made in the last 4 years.

Even if it is a MasterCraft. That was a joke as i have been really impressed with the stock MC wakes in the last couple years.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-26-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Wakeboardingmag.com shows some wake pictures of boats with I believe stock ballast. I don't think they show the more recent years though. This help give me an idea of different boats when we were shopping. Good luck!

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-26-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
well stock is kind of a loose word these days, tiges have up to 2300 "stock" but can have as little as 900, same thing with axis and mc, then there is boats like epic which have 4000lbs etc... you see where im going with this...i would hope wake pics would include as much factory ballast as possible...

anyways, point is, one mans stock is another mans slammed in one way or another.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-26-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
the wakes you see on MB's are all stock and a few guys (better riders) put up to 500 in the nose, but that's it
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-26-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
Be kinda cool if there was a consumer reports type comparison for wake boats. Imagine if someone could take out some good riders( not sponsored) and ride all boats weighted exactly the same on the same day and lake, same props, keep everything consistent. Then write up a report on their findings for each and how they stack up.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ron, that happened for wakesurfing a couple weeks ago http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796013
there will be full reviews of boats and boards soon
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-26-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
Yes some boats differ in weight when empty. The Epic doesn't weigh anything empty so it has to have 4000lbs to put out a wake that an MB can put out with just 1800lbs. Just be careful with just looking at weight alone.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-27-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
I would be wary of a comparison of boats all loaded the same. Most Mfgr's hull's have different traits.
Now a test where each boat is setup to it's own strenghts....that would be cool to see.
Problem being everybody has a different opinion of "best".
And who buys a boat and runs it stock anymore? Even if it's just a few hundred pounds here or there, Ppl add to shape and maximize their hull's potential.....The G23 is supposed to be $$ stock and pplnare already adding to them....lol
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-27-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Very true..no one is ever going to leave it alone. Even though for 75% of the people on here and out there with inboards stock is more than they ever need. Me included, but I am still going to add over stock!! For surfing only though and just to get to the stock option weight my inventory boat didn't have.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
Yes some boats differ in weight when empty. The Epic doesn't weigh anything empty so it has to have 4000lbs to put out a wake that an MB can put out with just 1800lbs. Just be careful with just looking at weight alone.
The difference between a b52v 23 and an epic 23 is 100lbs...
But yes I see where you're coming from. It's not fair to compare a 3900 lb epic to say a 5500lb g23 because of the massive difference in dry weight which essentially increases displacement without ballast

Last edited by simplej; 10-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
And yes people will add sacks. My RZR loves front weight. So I add a sack to the front, this lets me kick the taps plate up a bit and get a get a longer transition with a crispier lip. It doesn't need that extra weight, nor does my riding really need it yet but it makes the wake better IMO and keeps the boat from porpoising
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-27-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Simple, what is your set up with your RZR?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   
much like the MB boys, a 500 lb'er up front plus the surf ballast and then taps at 3/4.5 depending on conditions speed etc. just makes the wake a little bit harder and longer and bigger. ive posted pics around before. hijack over
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-27-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
... harder and longer and bigger.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-27-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
And yes people will add sacks. My RZR loves front weight. So I add a sack to the front, this lets me kick the taps plate up a bit and get a get a longer transition with a crispier lip. It doesn't need that extra weight, nor does my riding really need it yet but it makes the wake better IMO and keeps the boat from porpoising
Not a fan of boats that porpoise... Been there, done that, never going back.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
the boat doesnt porpoise when you drop the TAPS plate, but i like a steeper, almost nautique-like wake, and if you jack that plate up to 4/5 with that 500 lbs you can get that(the rzr doesn come with 2000lbs of ballast, its over the weight capacity), you know the same thing a wedge would do but without the ridiculous hunk of metal hanging off the back

Last edited by simplej; 10-27-2012 at 7:38 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-27-2012, 9:59 PM Reply   
Did you say something about ridiculous hunks hanging off the back...?

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-28-2012, 4:21 AM Reply   
I like the wedge(not that heavy) and puts 1000 lbs down on your boat! not bad for something you can carry around in your hand. Not sure what that tapsy thingy does though? cant put extra weight in the boat.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-28-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
In typical fashion dishing out crap in a serious matter, then not being able to take a joke. Get this thread back on topic rather than trolling.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
In typical fashion dishing out crap in a serious matter, then not being able to take a joke. Get this thread back on topic rather than trolling.
Simmer down, simple. There's no need for name calling.

I didn't insult you personally or your boat (you did that all by yourself).
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-28-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
(you did that all by yourself).
getting in one last dig eh? let me put it into terms for you...

no i did not insult my own boat, we are discussing that people will add ballast to stock regardless of conditions. because the boat is 20 feet, it would be a liability issue for tige to plumb in 2000+lbs of ballast. therefore when full of 1200 lbs in the rear and 400 up front, you must deploy the taps to 3 or below to keep the boat from porpoising. think what might happen if you put 1200lbs in the lockers 400lbs up front, and deployed the wedge to a more aggressive position on your boat (since taps and the wedge have the same function but work in opposite manners; taps providing lift to a hull that sinks in the rear, and the wedge sucking down a hull that provides lift in the rear) since i like a steep wake (taps up; or wedge in an agressive position on malibu) the extra 500lbs i add helps keep the boat running level while still producing a steeper, lippier wake by kicking the taps up. so yes tige is a bunch of idiots for not overloading their boat from the factory...