Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (tanderson)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
I just got a 185 sport Sea Ray w/tower, I/O 220hp Mercruiser. I've looked at fat sacs, but I'm not sure how much weight to add or where it add it. Anybody out there got an advice here. Considering fatsac tube in ski locker(370lbs.) and 2 blocks on either side of the motor compartment(155lbs ea.). Too much weight, need more, correct locations? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
Look at what maximum weight is allowed on the boat. Stick with that. There is alot of people who do alot more then that. Typical weight set up is port rear, starboard rear and middle or front. Get people on the boat and move them around to give you an idea of where your boat likes weight.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
I can't tell you how to set up your specific hull but I would go with the biggest sacs possible to fit in rear compartments, bow walkway, and ski locker. You do not have to fill the sacs all the way up but that way you can adjust the weight in different places and you have the option of really saccing it up. On a similar sized I/O, I would regularly have 1500-2000lbs in the boat with about 50-60% of weight up front, 17 p prop, and trimmed it up as much as I could without porposing and had a clean decent wake.

Enjoy your new ride.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-19-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Like at the lake says...make sure you have plenty up front....because the engine is already back there with the stern drive you need lots of weight up front. I would stick with the 60% up front...but also stick two or three people there. You'll have to play with it....but if your having issues planning or a mushy wake its because you dont have enough up front.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on June 19, 2008)
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
I have a Sea Ray 180 with a tower and put a 750lb bag on floor in back, a 560 up in the front walkway, normaly about 4-5 people, 17 pitch prop and one of those hydrofoil things for getting on plane better and I think it is a really good wake for an 18ft IO.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-19-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Keep sacking it out til it won't plane, then empty one sack.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-19-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
it's all about getting the hull down DEEP in the water- so on an outdrive or I/O you definitely need a LOT of weight up front. I'd start with a 750 in the walkway - all the way forward and if you have space in the back next to the I/o, i'd put 300 on either side. the ski locker idea is great- but you'll need more- the shape of that hull is designed to get up and out of the water ASAP. with Wakeboarding, it's completely opposite- you want to plane- but do it low!
Old     (tanderson)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Appreciate the information. With adding that much weight, keeping in mind slippage, will I need to change props. Current prop is 13 3/4" x 21. Thanks again.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Keep the 21 as a spare and put on a much lower prop if you are going to weight the boat most of the time. This will allow you to get the boat on plane and hold a steady speed much easier. I used a 17p, others go with high fives, and have seen others use props as low as 11p.
Old     (vanagonwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-20-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I have a 19ft I/O we regeart for a 4 Cyl. and dropped the prop P. but don't remember what it was. We currently have 750 in back 250 in the bow. Need more. and nother 250 on the opposite side of the gas tank. Currently the left wake is huge however the right washes out. I think this has to do with Tilt. I can't use my tilt b/c when i remounted my engine i didn't stick it back/high enough so my I/O will rub on the transom. But once i get 500 up front and the other backs in back this will really make for the finishing touches. Good Luck.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
You will want to go to a high five prop