Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Is anyone else having problems with these? I have an 06 21V and I had the original board racks that had the 3 pins. The pins started sticking and ultimately stuck and would'nt rotate at all. I then spent $100 to upgrade to the 07 racks as part of an option to fix the problem.
Now the 07 racks, after only 3 month, are starting to spin around when crossing my own wake.
This is a pretty big issue with a boat full of people and boards in the rack. It almost hit someone in the side of the head the other day.
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem, and has there been any solution?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
I think they have one with a manual pull pin.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
Yes, I have the same problem. For now I just lock them in place with the pin provided.

Soon I'll be taking this up with my dealer.

I've also been trying to find a way to stop them from moving all over the place even when locked. I'm thinking of machining another bracket to hold the bow end in towards the rack.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
Yes, I have been using the locking pin too. Be aware. They work themselves loose. I lost one recently on the way to the river.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
All around...I'd say they are pretty shiatty racks. I would like something else.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Friends had some, junk through-n-through
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
I hated my 05 version so bad that I ended up doing this:
Upload
Yes, those are MC racks on an '05 Supra 22SSV.

Cost me a lot of time and money, but so much better than the Roswell crap. I hope that Skiers Choice goes in another direction with the racks before I buy another boat (09).
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
I have finally started having probs with mine. They are swinging loose and it can be a bit treacherous (sp?). I am sure Marc will get on and say something. Roswell has always been straight up about taking care of their customers and upgrading them to the latest greatest so I am interested to see it...
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-13-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Your dealers are supposed to inform their customers that the manual pins on the 2007 and 2008 models are highly recommended!!!
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Not sure if this will help

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS:

First off let me apologize on behalf of all of us here at Roswell for any inconveniences you have been having with the Supra swivel boardracks. It has been a work in progress between our design department and Skier’s Choice to have a working, durable swivel on all of your boats. Our initial retrofit pin kits have worked for most customers but understanding that this wasn’t the level we needed to achieve, we worked jointly with Skier’s Choice on a solution to take care of the issues once and for all. There are two options available to swivel board rack owners that I will go over below.

Option 1- A new manual swivel will be available in the next 8-10 weeks through Roswell directly. It is made using the same swivel assembly you have right now (05/06 boats) except the locking pin and 3 push pins have been replaced with a manual Quick Release Pin. The Q.R. pin gets pulled up and the swivel can rotate through the 3 positions. It is then replaced, locking the swivel in either position. The system is as close to bombproof as we could make it without sacrificing the styling we had in the first design. This will be available to you as a replacement under warranty at no charge from us- All we will require is you to send your current swivels back.

OPTION ONE:
Upload

Option 2- Our new 2007 swivel will also be available for customers looking to keep a push button type swivel. These new swivels are compatible with the 2005 and 2006 swivels and will be made available for replacement customers (again through Roswell) closer to the New Year. This new swivel has been tested and we are confident that under normal usage they will hold up to daily wear and tear. As this option is a direct upgrade to a 2007 product there will be a charge if you choose to go this route. We feel that the manual swivel in option 1 is a reasonable fix for our 2005/06 customers in line with our warranty. We will have more information on the upgrade charge shortly.

OPTION TWO:
Upload

Both options will require you to send your current swivels back to Roswell.

Once again I apologize on behalf of everyone here at Roswell for any frustration and inconvenience and assure you that we will continue to work closely with Skier’s Choice to satisfy all of our customers in as timely a fashion as possible. If you’d like you can contact myself marc@roswellwakeair.com or Ryan ryan@roswellwakeair.com (780.490.7908) and we will organize switching out your swivels.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-14-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
I went with Option 2 and it hasnt worked out so well.
I am working with the new Supra dealer here in Portland (AWS) on this problem. They have been great about communicating, I was more just trying to figure out if this is an isolated problem or if it seems to be a product design problem.
I have no doubt that SC and/or Roswell will take care of the problem. They have both been great in the past with customer service issues.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
I had the same issues with mine on my 07, Like Diggs mentione Marc and his team are working on a fix for this issue. Soem sort of extra plate.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
I am having the same issues on my 07 22ssv but have been assured by the dealer that replacements are coming. They are extremely dangerous when they swing loose for sure. I have been quite surprised at the length of time required to get this remedied especially on a brand new boat.
Old     (amonteroman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
I have an 06 21V with the original 3 pin swivel mechanism and I have had no problems(KOW), they don't rattle and the pins never get stuck nor does the rack come undone and swing around while I'm underway, I don't know if I should upgrade to one of the retrofits or not.Maybe it's just a matter of time before they start going bad.
Old     (rhassen)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2007, 12:27 AM Reply   
Spidey- I had the original 3 pin swivel mechanism and one side started to not engage well. I did adjust the tightness of the center nut and it worked fine. Then I thought the other side would go so I chose option 1 with the manual pin. The pin works well but everybody hates the pulling the pin out each time. Keep the original if works well for you. I wish I did.
Old     (amonteroman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-16-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Thanks, I think I will keep the originals. My only other question to Roswell is how long will they continue to offer the free manual pin retrofit in case things break down later.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
I have the three pin swivel racks and some of my pins were getting stuck. I took the swivel apart (easy job)and cleaned the pin housing. there is a total of four pins. You will need allan wrenches and a pair of c-clip snap ring pliers. Clean it with WD-40 and then put a little Anti-seize on the pins. It worked great for me.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-17-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I had one of the original 3 pin design swivel racks and I found them to be VERY tough to push as well as sometimes wouldn't lock in place thus they would spin while riding along. Luckily i saw a thread about Roswell "recalling" the original's and replacing w/ a newer version. I went that route and have had limited to NO issues. Only real issue is when you get 2 boards on the rack, the pins can be tough to push so u have to wiggle and/or push up on the tip of the rack to release some of the wgt/tension on the button and then it works fine. Just a minor quirk!.

I def. too would recommend using WD-40 or a lube of some kind on the pin holes.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-17-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
The reason the pins stick is there is no lube in side the pins. Metal against metal not good. Mine work easy now no sticking and easy to push.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
I haven't had much of an issue with mine, but my buddy has on his 21V. However, I actually changed the backing plates on mine and just bolted up the OEM forks. I'm no engineer, but I think the problem may begin with the weight distribution on the OEM racks. The other backing plates that Roswell offers aftermarket centers the weight at the swivel mechanism, relieving some of the stress.

It looks like the '08's have cleaner looking swivel mechanism but the weight distribution hasn't changed from what I can tell.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-17-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
my 07 will swing sometimes just randomly... almost took my friends head off one time. cruising along and all of a sudden the rack swung back 90 degrees. had it swung all the way around, i have no doubt he would have been injured.

my dealer said "this is normal. use the pins."
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-18-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
like naw said, mine havent worked since 2 weeks after i got the boat. ill be getting the upgrade this winter. maybe they'll have an upgrade for the upgrade?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
"maybe they'll have an upgrade for the upgrade?"

Note to Skier's Choice and other wakeboat manufacturers, pay what you have to pay to use the racks mastercraft has been using with great sucess.

No need for updates/upgrades/retro-fitting, ect....
Old    ausbill32            09-19-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I had 2006 21v and had problems with the 3 ball bearings getting stuck and they ratteled me mad. I posted this same topic last year. Next day someone from Roswell saw that I posted this online in this forum, he sent me an email, I gave him my address, and he sent me 2 free PIN ones overnight and they worked great. One million times better than the ball bearing ones. My only problem now is I don't have a boat :-( , I sold it 3 weeks ago because I'm moving. I need a pull