Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-11-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have did the searching and found nothing specific to my needs.

What I have

PPI PCX-4125 4 X 125 @ 4 ohms (I amsure you stereo gurus will know this amp.)

6 Infinity Kappa 6.5 coaxials

Looking to wire them the best way possible while still maintaining the 4 ohm load to the speakers, unless it would be better to run a different ohm load to the speakers. I understand the general concepts of stereo wiring but ohm loads confuse me when it comes to the wiring part. I do understand that the higher the ohm load to the speakers the better sound quality you get. They are all going on the tower so Clarity is probably of my upmost concern. I will also try this in the boats and accessories forum.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chad
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
The Ohm load doesn't refer to the speakers as it does the amp. You actually change the load on the amp by wiring the speakers differently. Which in turn makes the amp put out more or less power. The lower the ohm the more power put out by the amp. Also the hotter it gets. The only time you don't want a lower ohm on your amp is if it can't handle it. If your speakers are 4 ohm when you wire them in parallel it drops the ohms to 2. When you wire them in series it raises the load to 8. So if you wire 2 speakers in parallel it drops to 2 ohms. Then wire the third speaker in series it raises it double of the first two which would be 4 ohms, but there's only one in series so that would actually make the impedance 2 ohms. Now that being said. I'm not 100% sure about that, and i only had a minute to type before my wife kills me
Here's a couple diagrams.

This is what your configuration would look like except the speaker on the bottom would be 4 ohm.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-11-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
So if the speakers are wired like the third picture but with all 4 ohm speakers, wouldn't that result in a 6 ohm overall load? Is that good or bad? How do you get 3 4-ohm speakers wired to an overall of 4 ohms?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
Not totally familiar with that amp, but if possible I would run it bridged into mono, effectively making it a 2 channel amp and I would run 3 speakers in series per channel. What this does is give you 12 ohms of resistance at the speakers, but by bridging your amp mono you cut that load in half to 6 ohms, which should give you an effective amount of power and keep the heat down at the amp. I think the only other good alternative would be to run a second 2 channel amp. Any other form of wiring the speakers will give you too low of an impedence or uneven power distribution to the speakers (the last diagram will make speakers play at different volumes).
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
all you have to do is connect the red wire to the + on the speaker terminal and the black wire - on the speaker terminal and you will also see the same + and - on the amp do the same with the red and black wires and you will be good to go.