Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-23-2003, 8:52 PM Reply   
I have a question for those of you that know ACME props. I just got one, and I noticed that the backside of one of the blades does not appear to be fully machined. It is machined half-way, then a smooth finish to the tip with a few faint scratches on the surface. Is this normal of new ACME props? Thanks for the help...
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2003, 6:05 AM Reply   
Mine looks the same way. No problems and works great.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    patrick_adams            04-24-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
That is just where the prop was balanced. No worries.
Old    oldschool            04-24-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
I believe the papers in the box with the prop should say not to worry about the machining marks. Have you installed the prop? Does it virbate the boat? If that happens, I would be concerned.

I just had a little situation with ACME, but they got is striaghtened out. I hit a piece of wood with mine and bent it slightly. I sent it to them for repair, but when I got it back, it was just as bad as when I sent it. So it's back with them now, and they say they got it straight this time. I sure hope so!
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-24-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
Based on your experience, do you think the ACME is a superior prop?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
Yes, Didn't seem to make much of a difference from my four blade OJ until I bent the Acme and had to put the OJ back on. Huge difference. That was on a D-drive though.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2003, 10:16 PM Reply   
My Acme came the same way.

I agree with Phaeton with the Acme as the better prop.

When I put my Acme on, I felt that it was a bit better. After a rock/prop meeting I put the old OJ 4 blade on there. It sucks, I did not really notice how much better the Acme till I took it off.

I've had my Acme repaired twice, both times I hated putting that OJ back on there.

Boat is a Cal-Air DD.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-25-2003, 12:23 AM Reply   
I talked to the guys at ACME today. You all were right, that is the way they balance the props. Good guys at ACME. They actually spent some time with me on the phone and explained the process. Now I can't wait to put the new prop on...
Old    oldschool            04-25-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
It's the hands down best prop made for inboards. Like everyone else on here. When I ding'd my ACME and had to put the OJ back on I felt like crying. I can't wait for the ACME to come home. I miss it. The OJ gets much worse fuel consumption. The ACME runs at lower RPM's, holds speed better, and has an awesome hole shot.

(Message edited by oldschool on April 25, 2003)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
I agree with all of you guys. I have an acme on my V-drive and what a difference it has made from the OJ. When I bent my Acme and had to put my OJ on I really wanted my ACME back. I went to the extreme of selling my OJ and purchasing another acme as my backup.
Old    theaslip            04-25-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
any suggestions on a good place to send the acme for a repair job?
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
So when you put the ACME on your boats - did you just go with the same pitch/diameter as the stock prop?
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-26-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
I had a 14x18 OJ and I went with the ACME 537 (13.5x16). I will probably lose a couple of miles per hour top end, but who cares? I am not in it for the speed. I just want the wholeshot to be stronger. I have yet to test the new prop, but from what I hear I will not be disappointed. Call the guys at ACME, the will help you with your selection. Or, check out propellersonline.com, smokin' deals. I got my prop for $329.00 and free shipping. Can't beat that...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
I recently made the same change as oscar on my mobius v. The hole shot is much improved but I lost about 6 mph on the top end and the engine will hit the rev limiters. For boarding I really like the hole shot and speed control. Seems like I need something in between these to props. A local prop repair shop said the 13.5x16 amce is equal to a 14x15 OJ.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2003, 7:11 PM Reply   
Are you guys running four blade ACME props or three blade ACME props. Which would you recommmend?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-27-2003, 4:26 AM Reply   
Mine is a 4 blade. I believe a 4 blade really helps with hole shot and speed stability.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-27-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
I went from a 13X13 four blade OJ to a 13X11.5 three blade Acme. When I talked to Acme they recommended the three blade for a D-drive and a four blade for a V-drive.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
I did the same as Phaeton, 13x13 OJ 4 blade stock, changed to 13x11.5 Acme 3 blade.

I'd talk to Acme about what prop is right for your boat and ballast.
Old    sandman            04-28-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
Actually ACME recommends the 3-blade for any 1:1 tranny ratio boat. So if you have a v-drive with a 1:1 like I do, you should go with the 3-blade as well.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-28-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
So who do I talk to to get an Acme prop?
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-28-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
I got mine from www.propellersonline.com

Free shipping and the best price.

I was recommended the ACME 3 blade and I am very happy with it.