Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I know nothing about how to hook my ipod up to my stereo so can somebody help me out?I want to buy something cheap but something that works. I have no clue on what im sipposed to buy or what i need?
HELP ME!
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
What model/make stereo do you have?
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-15-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Yes, the model will tell us the best solution for you. I'm guessing you have the CMD4 from Clarion in your Xstar. That radio has inputs so a $5 headphone to RCA cable is all you need. If you're lazy you can do an RF Modulator like the iTrip. You will still want to get a car charger to keep the iPod powered.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-15-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
If you have the cmd4, Clarion makes an adapter that lets you control 5 menus from the unit or the remote (model ea1251b). Their website has it listed for $150, but I've seen it on ebay for half that. I'm still thinking about using for mine.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2007/audio/accessories/EA1251/us-en-product-pf_1165294998542.html
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
Ryan - this is what you want to get. Just installed mine and it is really easy. It gives you control of the ipod just like you were using it. charges it and everything. I put a pouch under drivers area to put ipod to keep it dry. Best of all they are only $100 . go to crutchfield.com. they had the best price. here are some picsUpload
Upload
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
ok i have the CLARION M5675? I don't need anything fancy, i dont care if i have to use my ipod to control the music instead of that really nice setup in the pics above.
SO NOW HELP ME thanks guys
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-16-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
Ryan, this might help you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LI13U/ref=wl_it_dp/002-2699654-4728019?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2RE8VH633DV81&colid=613WJO KZ4YTH

Or this maybe

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IT600W/ref=wl_it_dp/002-2699654-4728019?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1CI7P6RTKDZAF&colid=613WJO KZ4YTH
Old     (jc245)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
This is probably your cheapest way to go:
http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-ip35wg-marine-iplug-tm-interface-cable/q/loc/111/202268509.html

Not fancy, but it looks from my searching that your clarion has RCA inputs. This will get your audio in.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Bill i like your idea but does anyone have this and know that it definetly works?
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-16-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
Edit: Oops, I thought you liked James' idea. Bill's FM transmitters all work but depending on how close your lake is to a major city the constant interference is annoying.

Why wouldn't it? It is pretty clever so that you can keep that mounted permanently and then you would just need headphone to headphone. The other option is to just dangle a cable like I have in the picture below. Both do the same job.

Upload

That cable above is the cheapest solution you have. The next best would be this one from BoxWave that uses the Dock connector.
Upload

And this last one when hooked to power will also keep it charged.
Upload

(Message edited by evil0ne on March 16, 2007)
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-17-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Ryan, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for the best Ipod solution. It looks like the first one I linked too is best for me. My FM reception is horrible at the lake I use.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
im thinking that the BOXWAVE hookup would be the best way to go because its like $10 and it does everything the other ones do.
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-26-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Evilone, where do I find the last setup you posted?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
the first option is about $4.00. I'm not sure what is higher quality between headphone out and dock out.

Do you have an earlier X-Star? My 2000 stereo crapped out on me and I'm pretty sure it was a 5675. It does not have RCA inputs as I recall, so the options above would not work. My recommendation would be an FM modulator, which is an adapter that uses the antenna input. I have one in my Pontiac Vibe, it does a much better job of blocking out incoming FM signals than the regular ITrip (which doesn't block signals at all).

Better yet, spend $120 or so on a new Clarion M455 single DIN stereo which has auxilery inputs.
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-26-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
Erik, I have a 2007 Sanger V215 with a Sony CDX-F50M head unit. It does have the RCA inputs. I also have a Arc Audio EQ with RCA inputs. I was told I could also use that. So I'm thinking that the last one posted by Evilone would work for me. This way the Ipod can stay in the boat and charge itself.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
I was referring to the first poster, sorry
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
The one that charges is the PXP01 from Peripheral.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetail.asp?strProductID=468

Since you said you have a Sony Peripheral also makes another cable that might work for you:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetail.asp?strProductID=467
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-26-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
I would only use the dock connector for an ouput, I would never use the headphone/mini jack. Other than that, I agree with evil0ne's suggestions.

Notidad, I wouldn't waste time with the Clarion interface. Unless they've changed the product, it requires you to make special playlists.
"The EA1251B simulates the iPod as a 6-disc changer. Therefore, a maximum of five acceptable playlists will be indicated as a "disc". Disc 1 is assigned for All Songs Play mode. Discs 2-6 are assigned for 5 acceptable playlists. (To make a playlist acceptable, you must assign the playlists names as "clarion1", "clarion2", "clarion3", etc.)." crutchfield.

IMO, I would stay away from just about all of the interface boxes from Clarion, Sony, Kenwood, etc. Reading reviews I don't think any of them have made an interface that really works all that well; they're slow, don't allow all of the functions/searches, dont' display all of the information, etc, etc. They seem to be getting better, but I don't believe anyone has nailed it just yet. I think its still better to use aux inputs with a dock adapter-to-rca (like Peripheral) and control using the ipod wheel. Although, I have heard good things about the h/k system and may give that a shot next time.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-26-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Is the harmon Kardon thing waterproof?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-26-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Thanks Ryan. I'm going with the dock connector that has the RCAs and the power wire. Also found a mount to hold the I-Pod where I want it making it easy to control. I don't want any of the guys I ride with controlling the tunes. LOL!
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
I guess you never ride behind your boat??
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-27-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
LOL! yeah I ride, but I set the music for me. If they change it there's hell to pay. .
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-27-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I doubt seriously the H/K drive + play is waterproof, but neither is my ipod or other stereo equipment. I'm going to install one in my boat next week. Seems to be the best interface that I've found.

I'll echo what others have said about the kenwood, alpine, clarion, etc...interfaces, terrible functionality and overpriced.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-27-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
I really want the H/K one but my boat is kept outside so i need something thats waterproof
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-27-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
I really want the H/K one but my boat is kept outside so i need something thats waterproof
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-27-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Just picked dup a PXP01. $60. Also found out it has something that overrides the I-POD internal Amp. What it means is no turning the I-POD volume up all the way to get decent volume. Gonna hook it to the same power that runs the head unit so it fires up the I-POD when the head unit is turned on.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-27-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
notidad, any time you use the dock connector for audio out the ipod volume is fixed. Its important to use the dock when connecting the ipod up to another source.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-03-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
notidad, is the PXPO1 workin ok? Is the volume acceptable? I need to do the same project w/ CMD4 as well.
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-04-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
This is due out this month from Harmon Kardon. Controls IPOD, Sirius, and a bluetooth enabled phone. $400 though....who said connectivity is cheap?

http://www.harmankardon.com/car/dp2_optin.aspx

Upload
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-06-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Sup guys,
tried to plug the rca's to the back of my deck, sony CDX-R3310. IT has three rca inputs in the back. One that says rear (red/white), front (red/white), and a third that I cant remember. But anyways, when i plug my rca's to it, the only one that works is the front. I cant get the audio out of my rear speakers. I plugged red one to the front and it works, i plugged my white to the front and it works(just checking to see if both rca ends are working), but when i plug either of them to the rear one, it doesnt work at all? I can even plug them to the front, hear the music of the ipod on the front speakers and hear the radio coming out of the rear ones.
I pulled out the stereo manual and nothing regarding the rca jacks on the back of the stereo. Planning on calling their tech support, but thought id consult with you all first.
My buddy did the same with his 06 B52(hes got a kenwood) and the same problem?
Any thoughts? Anyone experienced the same problem? Solutions?
Ive been using my monster FM modulator and it works really well at the delta, and at all the lakes I go to, but would like to use the rca's if possible-just so much cleaner sound.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
I'm not familiar with that deck but it should be the "other" one you mentioned. You will then put your stereo in AUX mode not FM and you should hear the iPod. Are your speakers all powered by the deck and not by amps?

Also, if that is not a marine radio that "other" RCA is probably a non fading Sub OUT not IN
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-06-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Hey evilone, I tried the other aswell and nothing, and now that you mention it, I believe it said sub on it. So the three are Front(in/out), Rear(in/out), sub(in/out). Also, my stereo doesnt have an aux mode. I hit source, mode and all i get is fm1,2,3 AM1,2,3 and CD.
I dont have any amps, speakers are just powered by the stereo...
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Can RCAs be in and out both?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-06-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
No, rcas are either input or output.

The manual I saw for your model did have a "bus-in" RCA input on the back.
www.xplodsony.com/files/manuals/CDX-R30M_Install_Manual.pdf

The front and rear are outputs, to hook up} external amplifiers. The "bus-in" is the audio input; you only need to hook the mp3 player rca's to this set of rcas.
Old     (frenchy30)      Join Date: May 2006       04-07-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Sounds like you guys are the right ones to ask. Can anyone see a problem with using the PXP01 but using a patch cable (RCA-to-3.5mm stereo output) to plug into the auxiliary input on the head unit? My head unit right now doesn't have RCA ins. The idea of line level output and charging together is quite inviting.