Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    jeff_h            08-18-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
I have a new Accurate A-line rope and Zero g carbon handle. Everytime I wrap the rope up it twists itself into a figure 8. Does anyone else have this problem? Or it is normal. How do I fix this if it is not?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
i borrowed this from matthew, may help

By Matthew (mgswed) on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 7:47 am:

I have a solution for tangles from rock climbing. Its called a rats nest and what you do is as the rope is out in the water and your pulling it in just drop the rope in the boat, dont coil it up, then leave the handle on the swim platform. Now when your next rider is going out just give him the handle and leave the rope in the boat. As you pull away tension will pull the rope out top to bottom of the rats nest and no more tangles. i never get them when i handle the rope. When you coil a rope you are actually twisting it and thats what causes the tangle. -MG

I've also heard that driving around with it out will allow it to untangle
Old    jeff_h            08-18-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks I will try that but it doesn't happen while we are boarding it happens when we are done for the day and I coil it up. The next time we ride it is in a figure 8, and when we are on the water it tangles because of this. I just want to know if there is a certain way to coil your rope. I might be doing it wrong. How do you coil yours?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have the exact same problem with my jacket line. The rats nest thing works bit i don't know how to coil it right when I'm done riding- tangles are inevitable. Im glad to know it's not just me. And Accurate says 'tangle free'
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
we have a rope wrap thing that it wraps around usually don't have any problems
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Another thing you can try is hold onto the handle or hook it around the ski pole (if you have one), and then throw all the line out behind the boat and go fast for a bit. Pull it back in - all tangles are removed. It should coil much easier.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-19-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
What Lucky Charms said. That will pull all of the kinks and small half-turns out of the rope.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-19-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Also when you are coiling it up for the day don't wrap it using your forearm. This also twists it. Just wrap it dangling in front of you.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
ya dont wrap it tightly around your elbow. wrap it in loose coils, if it starts to dod the figue eight thing just twist the rope in your fingers until the coil is circular.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
Hold on to the end of the rope that you hook up to the tower and throw the handle out into the water, and then idle until it's tight. Then just start to roll it in, shouldn't tangle at all, this is how I do it, and i never get the figure 8 effect, nice even roll up job everytime.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-19-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
what i do is, when i go to coil my a-line, i do it by hand, not around my forearm, and when i coil it i twist it to untwist(?) it. no fig. 8's here!

i wish i could do a better job of describing my procedure.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
russ wouldnt it be better/easier if you held onto the handle and left the end in the water. It would have less drag when bringing it in and you could tie the coils to the handle when you are done so everything stays in place.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks guys. I'll try that twist it to untwist it thing; I think that might be the trick to getting rid of the figure eights.
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
I wrap up my line like I would wrap up a microphone or guitar cord (which I never let someone else do unless they know what they are doing) or how I wrap up my rock climbing ropes. The guitar cord way is to make the loop in my hand and twist the rope to make it a circle. Then on the next circle that I add I twist it the opposite way and then back to the original and then the opposite and so on and so on. If you do this correctly then you should never have a tangle.

Rock climbing way is to take the end and pull it the full length of your arm span and then take the halfway point of that in your hand. Now continue taking full arm span lengths and instead of looping them just lay them in your hand so that they fold in half on either side of your hand. then take the last portion and wrap it around the middle. This one is harder to explain and I think the guitar cord way is better anyway.

Hope these made sense and help
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
Do what Lucky Charms said.

During the day, don't wind the rope, let if fall in the boat in a messy pile.

At the end of the day, let the rope out backwards while going 5 MPH and wind the rope in letting the twist run out the rope in the water.

No yellow jacket rope problems in 3 years. The rope is as good as new (almost).