Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
I know this has been rehashed over and over but I am stuck. I think the X2 wake is a little better but love the Malibu"s spaciousness. I have a wakesetter VLX and getting a new one and down to these two. Help!
Old    chavezychavez            06-17-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
If you have a VLX, why are you looking to buy a new VLX (or X2)?

Of the choices, stick with what you know - VLX.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
I have a X2, but if I were you I would stick with the VLX if it has more room. The wakes can't be that much different. Space is the only complaint that I have with mine.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
I have an X2 and my friend has a VLX. I have to say until this year I wouldn't have picked one over the other..but this year's VLX is awesome. I would take the VLX if I had a choice. Why? Interior is much bigger, the new Illusion tower is new and innovative in design, the fit and finish has been improved and just the overall package is so nice. Don't get me wrong I love my X2 but the VLX in my opinion is just a little bit better..especially the room inside.
Old    shawnb            06-18-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
I recently test drove both boats and here is what I thought of each.

X2
Great wake with or without ballast
Smaller interior (not by much though)

Wakesetter XLV
Insane wake with MLS and wedge
LOUD! I could not talk over the engine roar (It was cool for the first 10 minutes, but then it got annoying) Since you already have a VLX you are probably used to this anyway.

As far as fit and finish, drivability, look, price, etc, I could not pick a 'better' boat. Bottom line: They were both great and you wouldn't be wrong to pick one over the other.

(Message edited by shawnb on June 18, 2004)

(Message edited by shawnb on June 18, 2004)
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
How many people do you typically go with? If you have more than 4-5 people in the boat, plus a 600lb sac in the bow, and an ice chest in the back, things can get real cramped, real fast in an X2.

You can probably get a better deal on a VLX, but I really don't think you can go wrong with either boat.

I picked the X2, and I have friends that picked the VLX. Both are great.
Red 04 X2
Old    ssjrmk            06-18-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
sweet boat
Old    schooner            06-20-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
I'd say step up and take a look at LSV. Insane amount of room inside, great wake. I looked at VLX too and then I end up with LSV. I figured that with the new hull design there should be something good. As far as Illusion tower - don't go with it - my advice. Obstructs the view and boat access for passengers. Traditional tower is much better choice from my point of view.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
For me it would come down to how many people you ride with, if you have a crew of max 4-5 then I would go X-2, if you had a bigger crew then the VLX will suit you better imo.

We did a test in a X-2 on Sunday, with 7 peeps & two sacs in the front the wake was awesome. The boat was pretty cramped tho, it was cold so there was nobody in the bow. I was suprised how much bow rise there was with the all the extra weight in the front, much more than I expected, still the VLX has pretty bad bow rise too so your probably used to it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-21-2004, 5:11 AM Reply   
I own a VLX and my buddy has an X2. VLX has the larger interior. VLX also has larger bow rise, that is corrected with fat sack in walkway. Wakes are a little different, but nothing major. Fit and Finish about the same. One thing I do not like about the X2, it's hard to sit on the sundeck and put on the board, because of the angle of the transom He has had a lot more problems with his, but that' just the nature of the game. Both are great boats, can't go wrong either way.