Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-04-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
I do most of my wakeboarding in a river close to my house. The only problem I am running into is that the river is a mud bottom and very brown. I have an all white 210 and the river is leaving a brownish film on the boat were it sits in the water. I use liquid glass wash on my cars and tried it on my boat but the film does not come off even with elbow grease. Any suggestions on what to use?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-04-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Amazing roll off
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
On e you get it off, don't forget to wax the bottom portion of the hull. I know, but I do it just for that reason
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Put on rubber gloves and put "the works" toilet bowl cleaner on a rag and wipe it down. The scum will come off instantaneously. Then clean it with soap and water immediately after. Does wonders
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-04-2014, 9:59 AM Reply   
And what he said ^
Collinite is the cats pajamas for paste wax on boats
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-04-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
Would totally awesome work? I bought some for my interior and it does a great job on the vinyl.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
are you cleaning it on a lift above the water, or on land? A lot of these cleaners are really bad for the river.

On and Off by Mary Kate works great. It takes some gnarly stuff off the bottoms of boats. And then make sure to wax after.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-04-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mitch. I am cleaning it on my trailer on my driveway.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-04-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Starbrite Hull cleaner (got from Academy sports) works great, Absolutely no elbow grease required.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-05-2014, 1:03 AM Reply   
I would start by trying to clean it off with some vinegar. It's one of the main ingredients in a number of hull cleaners. It's gentle enough to not mess up your gelcoat, but does a great job in getting stuff off. It's also cheap as dirt, so it can't hurt to give it a go.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-05-2014, 4:48 AM Reply   
Slimey grimey is a hull cleaner to get the scum line off without a lot of elbow grease.Works great, we used it on our Nautique with a white hull.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-05-2014, 7:23 AM Reply   
The best way to get slimy scum off your boat is to ask them for gas money.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-05-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
Any hull cleaner with muratic acid in it will take the stain out. Just follow the instructions for dilution and application.
Old     (Wakebd)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-07-2014, 7:21 AM Reply   
I found some stuff at my local hardware that is used to take the iron stains off of sidewalks. Add an inch to the bottom of a bucket, take my brush and run down the rub rail, and watch the water stain fall off. Rinse, and your done. Best thing is it's enviromentaly friendly. I have to go pick some up today... (Boat in the Suwannee river all July 4th weekend) I will get the exact name of it and post it up. Works wonders!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-07-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Would totally awesome work? I bought some for my interior and it does a great job on the vinyl.
NO. I have noticed even getting a bit of totally awesome on my gel leaves drip marks etc. Might just be isolated but id avoid it. I'd go with vinegar mix after each ride and if you are going a few rides use the works. Once you use it though every bit of wax is gone and you will need to rewax.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-07-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
Receive this question weekly from Boat Bling customers. I wish I would have paid more attention to chemistry in high school because I'd be able to keep up with the chemists we work with LOL

Interior cleaners and soaps such as Totally Awesome, Vinyl Sauce, Malco, etc are usually alkaline (high pH) in nature which helps them create suds when mixed with water. To remove mineral deposits from the hull you need something acidic (low pH)

We stay far away from the harsh chemicals required to accomplish such a deep clean but our suggestion is to acid wash with a dilution of muriatic (pool) acid. Gelcoat is porous so the minerals and sediment embed themselves into the surface and become very difficult to remove. Might as well do the entire hull while you're at it which will remove any old wax residue and grime so you can start fresh. Follow up with liberal amounts of water to remove and neutralize remaining acid from boat and especially trailer. Be careful throughout the process and always use hand/eye protection. Muriatic acid is no joke.

After she's all cleaned up, put on a good coat (or 2, or 3) of polymer wax sealant. Carnuba waxes typically offer great shine with their oil base but offer minimal protection once dunked in water. You want to create a barrier on the hull especially the underside so the minerals never have a chance to get to bare gelcoat. The more time you spend protecting the gel, the less work to remove water spots and stains. Once protected, stay away from vinegar and strong spot removers unless you want to rewax and begin the cycle all over again. (Stop reading if you are offended by shameless plugs lol) Hot Sauce was developed around it's mineral deposit removing abilities while maintaining wax protection so it's safe to use on waxed surfaces and its sealant properties compliment the wax coat.

Last edited by Fourspeednup; 07-07-2014 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Shameless plug added :)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-09-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
star brite
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Walmart sells hull cleaner in the boating section that is the exact same thing as Starbrite (same bottle even) but costs half as much. That's what I use and it works great. Just be careful with your trailer and keep it hosed off.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-18-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I used star brite and it cleaned in instantly. Wiped in on with a sponge and the film was gone in seconds. Worked awesome!