Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
We are looking for a 360 - all-round - anchor - navigation light (whatever you like to call them) for on top of our tower.

I saw one from Barewest that is battery operated. Seemed like a good idea - no wires to run, etc. I'm not wed to it, it is pricey as well. I've seen the Perko - which could work and is around $30.

We have a tower from DIY. The tow-spool comes off - was wondering if there is anything that can be put on top of the tow-spool?

Any other battery powered options out there that folks have found?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Heres one I made from a light you can get at West Marine or even Home Depot. The tube is black PVC sewer pipe with some neoprene inside so it is snug on the tow spool, and a few taped stripes to make it look fast.

Upload
Upload

Heres the thread where several of us came up with a few different options.
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Very nice - done. I'm going to get one. Thanks - very well done.

I noticed where someone created the figure-8 looking aluminum bracket to mount permanently as well. I might give something like that a try.

Appreciate it,

JB
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Bill is that a battery powered light then? I like the idea of the nav light up there I just don't care for the look of the permanent applications.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
Good temp solution man.

For something permanent and wired, they make pucks of led's that you could mount between the tow spool and tower.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Yep, it's battery powered...... 4 AAs. Being in the NW we only use the boat at night for a couple of months in the summer. So I've never had to replace the batteries.

This solution worked great for me for several reasons.
- some drunk was bound to wipe out the stupid looking 6' stern light on the back (OK thats two reasons).
- Since it's above the bimini, no glare on the windshield.
- Take it down during the day. We ride a bit crazier than the average boarder sometimes, hot pickups, Around the Boats, etc. So if we can't take the light down, it's going to get broken off.

The figure 8 piece with a thumbscrew under it holding the light in place might be the best setup possible. Clean & removeable.

Heres a light at Overtons

Or at Home Depot
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
I think I might just go with your exact solution. No need to leave it up there when we only are out a few times at night every summer.

I like the puck led's - DHcomp - where do you get them?

Also - I found these brackets while searching for something... they look like they would be a poor-man's figure 8...

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/bazookaums-lk.aspx
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
I remember talking to a guy about the puck LEDs. He was making them. But he just wasn't setup to be mass producing them. Plus they weren't CG approved. And we go to a number of hydro races here that are patrolled by the CG.
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
I just ordered your light, and will be measuring for sewer hose this weekend...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Right on. Good luck on your project. Look forward to seeing what variation you come up with.
Such a simple, inexpensive solution.
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-17-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Got the light, then realized I had a spare tower clamp-mount thingy lying around. Take a look:

This would enable a pretty slick looking setup, and even enable it to be screwed on/off if done correctly pretty easily.

The clamp can be put on the cross-bar next to the tow spool. It is slightly higher than the tow spool. The light can be twisted on or off, or just left in place.

I've been meaning to rig up some type of quick-release clamp for racks, maybe this will be my experiment.

Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Nice. I give it two thumbs up. Three if you can make it a quick release.