Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jpcain)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-14-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
i want to get a new camcorder that shoots HIGH quality video and that i can get a waterproof housing for. i will be using it for wakeboarding, snowboarding, and some other random stuff like hiking and camping trips. please make suggestions and it helps if u can show some vids shot from diff cameras thanks!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-14-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
I think you will have beter luck in wakeboardind disscussioun
Old    mobster            09-14-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
High quality video has as much to do with the operator as the camera, Most of the camcorders out there shoot quality video, the person behind the camera is what makes the difference
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   

quote:

By J.L. (mobster) on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 8:28 pm:

Most of the camcorders out there shoot quality video, the person behind the camera is what makes the difference

w00t

as Kung Fu Wake & Video (dcervenka) has said,

quote:

trash in, trash out

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Whatever you get, make sure it shoots at a framerate of higher than 24p.... I just found the higher framerate setting on my camera, and man, the footage that I'm getting is like, OVER 9000 times better....

But yeah, you're actually probably better off getting something that's a little cheaper, and then learning how to film well first. If only I could follow my own advice, cause my filming fails...
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-18-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
i would go with the jvc everio series, all the jvc's are easy to upload on the comp and edit and have great quality. sony and all the other big companies make them now to but i own a jvc and like it alot. if u go to like best buy or any other stores like that, check and see if they have any open box stuff, that will save u alot of $$$$$
Old     (jpcain)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
im lookin at the Sony HDR-UX5 AVC HD DVD Handycam Camcorder, i was thinkin bout gettin this one because its a cheaper hd camcorder and my friend already has a handycam waterproof housing.. does anyone know anything about this camera and if it sucks or what
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
I have a Canon HG-10, and while yes, it is a hard drive camcorder, it's a pretty darn good camera for action sports when you film at a higher frame rate. Here's an example of a video section that I'm sort of working on that was filmed with it. I can't really tell you about the Sony HDR cameras, so sorry about that there.

Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
I have the HG-100 and it is sweet. No hard drive to fail. Just SD cards. Basically, it is exactly the same as Nick's camera except no hard drive and his is black and mine is grey.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2008, 4:53 AM Reply   
The only reason I didn't get an SD card camera is because on an average day of filming, I pull in about 6 gigs of footage...
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
well now you can get 8GB and 16GB SD Cards. So it works out. Probably not the same scenario when you bought the camera i assume.
Old     (jpcain)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
the problem i have with these is that the cheapest waterproof housing i can find is more expensive than the camera itself
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Epic Camera Housings

275 for a waterproof housing.
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-02-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
just get the most expensive so u know its good
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-02-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Nice vid Nick. Was that with the camera on the 'higher' setting you mentioned?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-02-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
yeah. You can tell in some of the shots when the camera is running at 60i versus 24p. 60i netted the slow shots there, and 24p it still doesn't look that good even in full speed...

It's definitely a really solid camera though. I think at this point, the only thing that I would have done different is gone with SD cards instead of a HDD....

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on October 02, 2008)