Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2006, 12:30 AM Reply   
I've been out the past two seasons due to knee surgery. I'm back now(100%) and need to upgrade my board. Based on what I've read,it seems like one of these boards fits my needs. My riding style is more surf/snowboard influence as I am blessed to both here in So Cal. My trick list includes mostly grabs,tweeks,180's, 360's, tantrum, and back rolls. I like slashing the wake, butter slides, etc. Any advise is appreciated.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2006, 1:29 AM Reply   
dan, though both boards have 3-stage rockers, they're 2 different boards in that one is real slow while the other is much faster. the substance is really slow, with or without the center fins. the absolute, on the other hand, builds a really good speed at the wake.

both boards will buck you and are more of wake-to-wake boards rather than taking you out in the flats. you can still go out in the flats on either board, but the boards are made to go straight up.

the landings are very different as well. the absolute lands really soft, while the substance lands pretty hard.

the substance is really grippy, even w/o the center fins. the substance is easy to break free and is really loose w/ the center fins out.

if you want to demo the boards, contact wade at greenhouse ride shop in norco at 951-479-9640. let him know that i sent you.

i'm in socal, too, about 15 minutes from you in ladera ranch. let's hook up and ride!
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply Joe. Which one is grippy vs loose? Where do you ride?
Old     (sculmosis5)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Both the substance and absolute are pretty lose when you ride them finless. A board you might want to check out if your interested in the substance is the new watson board. A nice forgiving ride with softer landings. Do some research on it. I'm pretty stoked to try this board.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
dan, the absolute is more loose over the substance. w/ the center fins in, both boards are pretty grippy, but the absolute is easy to break free. w/o the center fins, both are loose, but the substance still drags and still pretty grippy.

absolute = loose
substance = grippy

i ride elsinore and canyon lake.
Old    lovin_the_sport            04-28-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
I have a substance and enjoy it...

Like Joe said, it is very forgiving... it tends to be sticky.

When I first got it... I enjoyed it because when I went W2W it stuck!! But now, that im a bit better I would rather ride some thing more squirly!!! But... It really is a great board cause it is sooo forgiving for tricks or begginers!!! :-)