Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bmurr716)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-04-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Jus signed a lease on a house in winter park. Close to lake Osceola an Maitlnd, are these good lakes to ride or are they even open to the public? An are there any public marinas to rent a slip in that area? Also lookin for some people to ride with or to come out an ride with my wife and I on out boat.
Thanks guys
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-04-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
That lake is 157 acres part of the chain of lakes. A large number of the pro riders have boats on the chain. There are some public ramps on a few of the 5 lakes. Most lakes down here in FL do not have marinas.

Maybe someone else can chime in, ive been out there before but that was when the canals were low in water and hard to pass from lake to lake.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-05-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
I'm not that familiar with Winter Park or lake Osceola but I don't think you will have any trouble finding a public ramp. As far as marinas with wet slips, I'm pretty sure the only one available is Fairview Marina on Lake Fairview in college park area (John Young and Lee Rd) which is pretty close to you. I used to live on the lake and then a buddy of mine kept his boat there. There aren't a ton of slips but they usually have a few available and it's pretty well protected. Jay and his sister who own and run it together are great people and they have a large gazebo and fire pit that you can use and they will give you a gate code so you can get in any time. There is also a guy who lives on site so the place is really safe. They have dry storage and will drop your boat in at the ramp for you for like $15 in and $15 out or you can do it yourself. It's been a year or so since I've been out there but the lake is usually not too busy except for the rowers in the morning and eavenings. You can usually find good water along one of the shores just watch out along the North shore (left as you exit the marina/ramp) cuz there is a big shallow shelf extending from the shore.

I live out on Conway but if you need a third sometime message me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-05-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Here's the info on the public boat ramp. It's on Lake Virginia, so hopefully the canal is navigable. Make sure you check out OWC as well.

http://cityofwinterpark.org/Pages/De...inky_Dock.aspx
Old     (bmurr716)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-06-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Ill be ridin a ton here in about 2 weeks when im back in town officially, hit me up if any of yall wanna ride. Would be nice to go out with some peeps that know the area, my boat or yours in always down.
Old     (sean_obrien)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-08-2012, 5:07 AM Reply   
The Winter Park chain is a great place to ride. I grew up there and spent almost every afternoon out on Lake Virginia. There are actually two public boat ramps that are easily accessible. The one on Lake Virginia was already mentioned, but there is another one on Lake Maitland at the Fort Maitland Park. I guess it just depends on which boat ramp you live closest to. These are both public ramps, but Winter Park/Maitland requires you to purchase a registration decal to use the chain (or you can just purchase day passes). If marine patrol catches you without this, then they will probably fine you. However, in the past they would only come out on the weekends. I'm not really sure what its like now, but I rarely saw them during the week while I was growing up. Another thing to consider with the cops in Orlando is that they really do know what's going on with regards to USCG approved vests and excessive ballast in your boat. They will give you a ticket for riding with a non-CGA vest and they are starting to question boaters about how much weight they are running in their boats (this happened to me the last time I was stopped). I just wanted to give you a heads up, so you aren't caught off guard.

If you have any other questions about the Winter Park chain or any of the other lakes in the area, I'd be more than willing to help you out. Welcome to Orlando!