Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Can some of you that have had MRI's fairly recently,mind posting up what they cost you? I am trying to figure out my bill???
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-09-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Mine was a 500 dollar deductable. I seem to remember it was around 2k...
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-09-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
1,600 around there. its rediculous!
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
$1400, insurance covered 80%, so about $300. But 2 of them so far this year!!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
I took Nicola to the Ortho. Did the usual then of course recommended the obligatory MRI. Girl at the desk told us that it was $974 to do it there or $500 downtown. This is exactly what she said as we didn't have a clue.Nicola was standing next to me so I didn't miss hear this. 2 days later went downtown and I had to give them a check for $500. Two days later we went back for the results. Asked me for another check for $200,called us in to the exam room, waited 50 minutes past our appointment time (your time isn't important because you are not a doctor), ortho spent 5 minutes tops with us and off we went.
Just received another bill for $1474.

That will teach you to hurt yourself.

It happened during a comp so there is ins. It has cost $2275 so far with no more treatment needed and the deductible is $2500. Lol. What a mess.If they had told me it was $2000 it is debatable whether we would have gone ahead because he intimated that it was more precautionary than anything else.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Hold off on paying the bill for now. It is normal to get a bill without your payments deducted.
Get the ins policy, collect all your receipts for bills payed & put them all in order for review.
Then call your orthopods Billing dept on Monday morning and go through your bill.
Hopefully this will help clears somethings up ....... or piss you off even more.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
If it happened during a WWA comp., aren't they liable?
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
The whole medical community is notorious for things just ike this. Wait about 15 days from the bill and call the account people at the MRI/DR and often times you will see that is a double billing or that insurance hasn't paid yet so they bill you only to send it back to you later but you have to stay on top of it or you just end up paying. MRI in O-town are roughly 1,500. I have seen bills up 2,800
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Yeah, you are insured in WWA comps up to $25 000.
Problem is the deductible is $2500 and I have spent just less than that. Lol. Figures. I am not paying this whole amount. The woman at the desk gave me the incorrect amounts as well.

Odd that she said that it was $974 there and $500 downtown. Now the remainder of the bill is $1474.
$500 + $974 = ????? Odd!!

I might deduct money for the hour of my time that they kept us cooling our heels in the freezing cold examination room.You would think if you are spending $50 a minute they could see you within 10/15 minutes of your appointment time?
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-09-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Ive had two MRI's 3 years and 4 years ago. Around here the machine is in the back of a truck so it can be taken to different hospitals on different days. Chris I bet it was 40 degrees in the machine and I had no earplugs in, those things are real loud. In my opinion they should pay you for that type of torture. In all seriousness I would have rather them just skip the MRI and go cut into my knee because I knew thats what needed to be done anyway.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-09-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I had 2 MRI's back to back this past JUlY....didn't pay a die'm

I even got to play cirrus(SP) that satellite channel there (Death Metal)....

It was the bomb! (Ruptured Bicep Tendon injury)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-09-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
So you are saying your daughter is a pro wakeboarder but does not have health insurance?

Isn't that the first thing you would want to have if you wakeboard a lot?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
"So you are saying your daughter is a pro wakeboarder but does not have health insurance?"

She is not a US citizen. Wanna know what they charge. Think you get ripped off??
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-09-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
So your plan for a major injury is to rely on others' accident insurance plans so they can foot the bill when their premium increases?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-09-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Tim All WWA riders get coverage through WWA while they compete. That is part of what the rider is paying for. I have insurance on my son but if he gets hurt competing I can promise you the first $25,000 will be paid by WWA. I dont see anything wrong with it.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-09-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
What about when they are practicing? I assume they spend far, far more time practicing than competing....

No worries though Chris, it just strikes me as really odd that you would let your daughter ride so much with no primary coverage. I generally won't let people ride behind my boat if they don't have health insurance. I know how much it costs to have a major injury behind a boat. 25k won't cover it.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
Tim you are forced to pay the WWA coverage.
I don't really know what my plan is as I have blown ALL my money on wakeboarding and it is actually dawned on me that it is not worth it.The gap between risk and reward is too great.
Nicola needs to pay for her own insurance when she starts riding again.
Then her selfish plan can be, to expect the ins company that she pays $2500 a month to, to pay for her injury. Probably after a $5000 deductible. Gotta be careful not to take advantage of the insurance company.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
So when you live in a country with socialized medicine, you have no coverage when you travel? Now I see why when I lived there it was so popular to sell "trip insurance" when you bought a plane ticket.

At least the "evil" insurance company I am insured under will cover me when I am overseas, and then also through work I have medivac coverage so I can get home quickly. Thankfully I have a good plan, and have never felt like I was getting ripped off by the insurance company.

You think you are just taking $$ from the insurance company, but they are in it to make money. They will raise the rates for the boat owner whose accident policy you "take advantage of" to recoup the money spent on the claim if it is a serious (i.e. expensive) accident.

I apologize for getting this thread so off track, and wish Nicola the best of luck in her recovery.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-10-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Isn't there some sort of supplemental insurance out there for traveling athletes? You should make some inquiries. If you are from another Country, and are traveling abroad, how are you covered?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Blue Cross (at least in TN) sells individual policies. For a 16 year old $1000 deductible policy is approximately $125/month. $30 co-pay, 80/20 on major medical. It is not a rip-off. Of course pre-existing conditions would not be covered.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
Not sure how it works for people from socialized countries with medical issues. But I do know that they England & Canada pays for surgery and compensation to the US is better than what the US insurance companies pay. Problem with Canada that they want their citizen back in their country ASAP after said surgery. One MD I know was not going to do that since they could not guarantee adequate & appropriate physical therapy for the first 30 days post op.
One of the best and quickest compensating countries is Saudia Arabia.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Tim,
So you ACTUALLY ask someone before they get in your boat and ride if they have insurance??????? If not, you are their daddy and tell them they can not ride????????
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
Yes I have asked that question on several occasions, and yes, I would not let someone ride if there was a chance they would put a claim on my accident insurance or worse yet a lawsuit for a minor sports injury. In a similar fashion I won't let people ride behind my boat without a vest, and don't mix wakeboarding and alcohol.

Why risk having to pay for someone else's medical bills if they don't want to be responsible and have health insurance?

If they can't afford health insurance, IMO they shouldn't be wasting money wakeboarding.

(Message edited by timmy on August 10, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
So you are the judge and jury? I hate to think of what goes on when a coworker asks for a ride home or a neighbor needs a ride to the store to get some milk or something. Same principle and you are far more likely to get injured in an auto accident then behind or on a boat.
But its your boat and I feel sorry for you living your life in fear of EVERYTHING. BOOOO! your insurance adjuster will be contacting you to raise your rates because of this post.
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Jonny, I need to see your insurance card before we ride again. Thanks!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
It is not living in fear, it is a simple step in protecting myself financially. It is a fact that people get hurt while wakeboarding on a regular basis, I know from experience how much it costs, and from that I think it is absurd not to have the health insurance if you are participating.

I am not putting any of my friends out because they all have insurance, and most likely wouldn't come after me for the money regardless. When they bring friends that I don't know, why should I trust them with my $$?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Tim, everything with you toward me is filled with accusation.
Being on your boat must be terrific fun. In fact anything with you must be a barrel of laughs.

I asked a simple question about MRI's because I genuinely wanted to know what I am expected to pay and I have to endure a long lecture from you?And as usual it degenerates into a finger pointing, accusatory slanging match. But you wish Nicola well of course. And you are sorry for dragging the thread all over the place.
ALL I want to know is what I should expect to pay for an MRI.Your contribution to that has been zero. How you run your boat or live your life is of no concern to me.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Chris,

How I run my boat was brought up by another person, and was not directed towards you.

Threads often diverge from the initial topic. That is how discussions and conversations work. You don't always get a short answer. I know what you were asking and am well aware that is all you wanted this thread to be. I suppose I could have called bunch of friends and taken a survey, but other people already gave you a good ballpark.

Rest assured, my boat is more fun than it would seem (I would certainly hope so) from the posts that you and I are involved in. Don't take it too personally, if we all thought the same way the world would be a boring place. I enjoy reading different opinions, even if they are contrary to my own. There is a lot to be learned from engaging with other people.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Tim, fine. We are all just trying to make it work. Whatever way we think is the best. I know Nicola needs insurance and I have been working on it. Just genuinely trying to work out what I am being billed for. No bad feelings.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-10-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
It is crazy the way they bill you for anything more than a simple office visit, with all the add ons and bills coming from different people. Much thanks go to my mother for dealing with all of my crazy billing when I had my wakeboarding injury, so I could focus on school.

Chris, always feel welcome to call me out if my posts are incendiary. Sometimes (yesterday and today for example) I might be stuck at work and we all know how that is when it is nice outside.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Many insurance companies are having you ( if you're insured) fill out a form about your accident.
This is another avenue for your insurance to not pay your coverage and make you go after another source for the liability/medical payment.
Case in point:
Friend was wrestling with fiance - dislocated her elbow. Her medical insurance wanted her to go after her fiance's home owners policy for payment of her injury.
It was a 6 month fight before her insurance would pay her bills.

If you get individual insurance for Nicola - expect to have an exclusion/pre-existing clause due to her injury.
You should check out getting insurance as a parent with a dependent. It may get her out of the exclusion clause with a pre-existing injury and she would also need to be a full-time student.
Some insurance companies with pre-existing clauses have a 5 yr wait before they will insure the medical condition again with proof of no recurrence.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-10-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
At least $1500 where I'm at. I'm lucky in the fact that I know the doctor who runs the MRI center where I work. His father also donated the building to the hospital which helps. He works me in for a free MRI when I need it on the research side. As soon as I'm done, I get one of the Radiologists that I work with to read the results. Unfortunately, the results are never good. If I could only swing free surgery.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
When Nicola got concussed last year, I kid you not, I got about 6 different bills from the same hospital. Every dept bills you separately and they just keep coming..........
I think paying $2000 for the MRI is outrageous. And then you have to pay a whole bunch more for the Ortho to read it.
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
I paid $1800 3 days ago.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
Just be glad she didn't get a compound fracture with complications or something along those lines. You think $2k is bad. Wait till you get a bill for $2-300k.

There is no way she isn't riding behind boats outside the WWA. Who pays the bill if she's injured when practicing?

I'm not sure how I feel about having a pro athlete for a daughter, but not carrying insurance. I won't judge you, but I feel really bad for you if something major happens. Being a pro rider is a business. Part of being in business is assesing the risks.

All I can do is hope for your sake that she never gets seriously injured. If she can't be insured in this country, then maybe you should take a hard thought about whether or not she should be competing here.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
After reading Tims post its amazing that he actually participats in an "action sport". Life is a risk. And Tim is definately ready. And nothing against that, But no need to bash someone else for doing what it takes for his daughter to wakebaord and persue a dream.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Your Ortho isn't the one who read/interpretated the if it came from an outside facility.
They can only charge if they own the MRI machine and are the only ones doing the interpretation.

You can find out who did the interpretation by just asking for the report.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I'm with Tim on this one. In this litigious society I am not about to risk all that I have busted my butt for for some yahoo I don't know to get hurt behind my boat. My friends with medical insurance ride behind my boat. Period. Yes, their insurance company will likely come after my insurance company but then the insurance companies can battle it out rather than losing a friend over money and an injury. In fact, I am such a party pooper I once asked a guy to come in from riding because he was trying huge tricks he had no business trying. You don't like my rules, buy your own boat and put a crew together. A rider can become a plantiff in one nasty fall.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Whats your boat rules got to do with the cost of an MRI??
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-10-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Chris, I had 2 MRI's in the past few years. It didn't cost me a thing. My insurance picked it up. I asked my doctor, and my $15 co-pay covered the MRI. I guess my insurance is pretty decent. Sorry to hear about your bill.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-10-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
wayz, very cool insurance. We used to have that also, right up until the insurance company went bankrupt. Not to dis ya', but enjoy it while you have it.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Phantom,the ortho that recommended the MRI was the same guy who saw us two days later and wrote out the report.He did the interpretation. They have about 4 different offices. We went to the one downtown because they told us it was cheaper there. It wasn't.Thinking about it,why would it be?? The orthos move around on different days with one day a week for surgery.
All I am trying to do is trying to figure out what I am being charged and if it is within the price range. I appreciate all the input and replies.
I don't really want a lecture on insurance and peoples boat rules. The Q of W title, which I think Nicola deserves, is slipping away and I feel lousy enough.
Phantom I appreciate your input as I know you are more knowledgeable than a lot of others about these things.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-10-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
I'll add to what Evan said about fractures. By the time Chris had the rod removed a year after the broken femur the bill had gone over 100K. Now his insurance didn't pay that much because the hospital and doctors take less but not if you're some retail person coming in off the street. The $25K the WWA is providing isn't going to cover anything major so plan ahead!

Chris has his own individual Blue Cross policy these days, $60+ a month gets you coverage up to 2 mil I believe with a $1000 annual deductible.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
The WWA Ins is compulsory and it is like a top up over and above what your insurance covers.In other words catastrophic cover. The thing is with what medical costs are here a broken leg could possibly end up being catastrophic. I am going to the UK at the end of the month and I am going to organize a good travel insurance policy which covers Nicola's wakeboarding.Costs around $180 per month and covers you up to $500 000.

Two broken legs.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
Yippers
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Had an MRI 3 weeks ago and didn't even cost me a co-pay... BCBS is $teep as hell but it does pay off occasionally.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Well that pretty much answers the question why you're paying a lot out of pocket - Catastrophic cover.
It's also a way of keeping the policy cost "affordable".

You should make a comment of being misinformed to the billing office. Sounding like Orlando Orthopedics owns their own MRI - they should be able to eat part of that bill without a financial burden.
Worth a shot.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
This is one of the things wrong with the medical system....

MRI Billed: $1545
After Ins Co Discount: $758

Everyone should pay the same price.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
...because they told us it was cheaper there. It wasn't.Thinking about it,why would it be??

Because billing any amount they want is a big scam.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
I had a bad crash at my indoor ramp park on my bike a few years back. Wasnt making any money yet and insurance from my old job ran out. I did a 18 ft wall ride to my face. Ended up laying in a pool of blood in convulsions with a hole in my forehead(from helmet) and broken nose and lip hanging. Long story short it was about $30,000 after ambulance, ICU room, Catscan ect..... they said they would give a 50% off If I paid Cashh..... 50% OFF for Cash payment!!!!!! Medi-Cal covered everything but ambulance ride. First time the system worked for me.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
Mike, somebody told me a story 2 weeks back about half an hours work done and was charged $3600. He phoned the doctor,told him it was ridiculous and the guy halved it. WTH???

John you are correct. It is a rip off. And Phantom I was genuinely misquoted and I am going to try and get some of this knocked off. It is close to $2200 and there might be more to come?? All the bill says is MRI $1474.Nothing about what I have paid or any details. It is so unprofessional.
That is the reason I am trying to get the feedback from WW. I don't know where I am with this.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-11-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
I had a bone fragments cleaned up on my ankle and a bone spur on the front (from the board jamming my foot towards my shins) for roughly $15,000. I spent less than an hour and a half in surgery and had 3 doctors visits. I even walked out of the hospital less than an hour after surgery.

The system is broke when surgery costs this much and this was what the insurance company paid. Definately try negotiating.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
What insurance companies bill vs what the MD receives are 2 complete different amounts.
If you look a few posts above about being a cash payer for 50% of the bill. Reason being , you're giving the MD's office money upfront.
Insurance companies can and will take up to 1 yr to pay anything on your bill to the MD.
It's a leverage game that insurance companies play against the MDs to sign a contract to receive @14-20% of payment instead of the full amount by your insurance.
So when you wonder why you have a big number bill, it's because they're trying to get decent compensation.

What needs to be fixed is the way Insurance companies screw you and the MDs.

To comment on your surgery bill - I'm pretty sure that 15k was split up at least 3 ways:
Surgeon
Anesthesiologist
OR time ( which is billed by increments of 15 mins) & supplies ( the cost of sterile supplies would astound you)
So that all did not go to one person.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
"What needs to be fixed is the way Insurance companies screw you and the MDs. "

That's what I'm talking about. We need govt regulation that says a provider must not charge anyone more for the same service as it does anyone else. That will prevent ins companies from monopolizing customers and getting rates below what the provider can afford.

If you don't pay within 30 days then they can charge interest just like any other lender. And just like when you get your car fixed they must provide you with disclosure of what you will be paying upfront.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-12-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
I've had 3 recently. One was $2200, I paid $890. Another was $1800 and I paid $750. Most recently it was $1600, I paid $540.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-12-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
I spent 6 hours in the ER, 4 of those hours were watining in a room, waiting to be tranferred to the hospital...Bill was a tad over $14k. I'm still fighting it 2.5 years later....I have about $800 of it on my credit now ( currently being removed from all 3 reports) Yes I have insurance. FYI...mediacl bills are fairly easy to get removed from your credit report contrary to popular belief. Do not deal with collection agencies if they are on your credit. The minute you pay them you loose all your rights under HIPPA. Deal directly with your original provider.
Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Without reading all the above, an MRI from my shoulder with dye injected was $1453.

I have no idea what the negotiated rate was.