Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (liquidforce21i)      Join Date: May 2006       10-18-2006, 10:47 PM Reply   
I have heard of a knee brace made specially for wakeboarding or something, does anyone know what it is or know anything about it? my donjoy sucks in the water and i need a new one...let me know
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-18-2006, 11:01 PM Reply   
I think they are made by CTI.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-19-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
CTI2's are custom fit carbon fiber and titanium kneebraces. I swear by mine. if you go the route of CTI make sure you tell your rep that you wakeboard and you need the extra neoprene strap that goes under the brace. it keeps it from sliding down when it gets wet. they should know what im talkin about, if not email me and ill send you a pic of mine, its easy to make, i tore one of mine and my rep gave me the material and i just cut out a new one. as for wakeboard specific, i havent heard anything, but hell, just about everypro out there wearing a knee brace is wearing CTI. Parks, Shane, Byerly, among many others i just can think of right now.
Old    358army            10-21-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
if your lookin for something that you dont need to get custom fit, asterisk makes an off the shelf knee brace that looks more like a cti. i ride with one and it dont go no where when i ride. its actually a motocross knee brace, and a lot cheaper, but for what i need it for it does the job and then some....
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 1:40 AM Reply   
where can you buy these braces. Is there a website where I can buy one? I am nearly 38 and my knees are going. Last week I rode three days in a row and I was in a lot of pain. I will need to buy over the net as I live in the Canary Islands and you can not buy anything here.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
Closer-google "Asterisk knee brace" and you will come up with lots of online places. Shop around, there are lots of deals. Here's a few places:

http://www.mtbz.com/mountainboard_accessories/asterisk_cell.htm

http://www.island-racing.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_8_103_1024&products_id=33 96&gclid=CIaklousnogCFQ8aYQodqH-0Xg
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-29-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
Knee braces won't help for arthritis. Wearing a neoprene sleeve to help keep the joint warm may do better.
What is your purpose for wearing a knee brace? If it's to minimize pain, then you need to ask yourself " Will a knee brace actually keep my knee from hurting after athletic activity?"
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-29-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
I second what Phantom said. A kneebrace is for stability, not pain. If your knees feel unstable then you need to hit the gym more. Working joints with arthritis has been known to help out with less aches also. I'm not saying go out and get a membership to the gym either, many get their workout buy just sticking to a simple jogging routine. Keep a bottle of tylenol on the boat as a backup after a ride.

On a side note I am not a doctor. Im just an EMT but I have arthritis in both my knees as well and this is what works best for me. I have torn ligaments in one knee and my menscus in the other. Never have I spent more than $10 on a temporary brace. Building up your knees is a key componet of this sport.
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
I do work out three times a week although that has slackened off the past month coz wakeboarding conditions have been good in the evenings which is when I train, so I have traded a work out for some boarding. MY legs are strong it is the small muscles accross the top of my kneecap that hurt along with some pain inside the knee joint. I figured the extra support would help.
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
try an asterisk, they are for moto, just remove the knee cap section.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-29-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
If you are working out and you're still having muscular pain, then you need to do sport specific exercises.
But, just by your description,there are no "small" muscles across the top of the knee cap. Your knee cap is encased in the Quadriceps tendon. Most of the time pain in that area is cause by a tear in the tendon or a fracture of the patella.